Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

parents' new cat pregnancy question

jiorji
October 24th, 2005, 12:15 AM
hello

question from my parents:
They got a cat same time I got my second kitty. The cat they got is about 9 months old and they suspect she may be pregnant. They took her back to humane society in Ontario where they live and they said she's either too early to tell or she might've already had kittens before she got dropped off at the shelter. They're due for vet check in a month so by then if anything should start showing..but they asked me to post on here anyways

1. how early in the pregnancy does a cat produce milk significantly enough to be able to feel there's something in there?
2. if a cat already had kittens, is there a chance for some of the milk to remain in the teats?
(I'm not familiar with cat anatomy, you'll have to excuse if i use the wrong words here lol)

Lucky Rescue
October 24th, 2005, 12:41 AM
1. how early in the pregnancy does a cat produce milk significantly enough to be able to feel there's something in there?
IF memory serves, the milk does not come in until just before birth.

2. if a cat already had kittens, is there a chance for some of the milk to remain in the teats?
Maybe, if she had a litter very recently. How long have your parents had her? Has she gotten outside since they brought her home?

The best thing for your parents to do is to have their cat spayed right now, as long as she is not lactating. If she IS, then witholding food and limiting water for 24 hours will dry her up.

You can tell if she is lactating if you can feel soft bumps on her stomach.

jiorji
October 24th, 2005, 01:06 AM
they only got her on tuesday, and I don't think she's been at the shelter for a long time cos her first vaccines were done only last week they said. ANd she hasn't been outside.

as for lactating, I think that if they can feel the bumps then she definetly is...