Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Insurance Question

LoNScamp
October 23rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Anyone have any idea why PetPlan would charge $10 more a month to ensure a 12 week old Miniture Schnauzer than a 14 month old GSD? The insurance for both is there premium plan.

LM1313
October 23rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
All I can think of is that the one breed must have more hereditary problems associated with it??

~LM~

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Probably what LM said. GSD's have a lot of potential genetic issues, but maybe the Schnauzer's are more expensive?

StaceyB
October 24th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Is this a constant charge or only for your puppy's first year? It could be that there are usually more regular costs associated with the first year such as vaccines and spay/neuter.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 24th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Joey was quoted at 19 a month he is six years old already. Another mixed breed that was younger was quoted at thirty. I am not sure how they figure out their costs per pet.

Beaglemom
October 24th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Certain breeds are prone to more illnesses than others and because of this, insurance tends to be a bit more costly for them.

Another reason is for claims made. I don't think this is your case, but if many claims have been made on a policy, this may cause the monthly premiums to rise.

The age of the pet doesn't usually matter unless you are insuring a senior pet. For instance, a 4 month old puppy shouldn't cost more or less than a 2 year old dog of the same breed, but it would be cheaper to insure a young dog as opposed to a 9 year old dog.