Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is my dog pregnant?

horses4ever2090
October 23rd, 2005, 09:00 PM
My female beagle is not fixed. Today i noticed she had a white discharge coming from her nipples. Is this a sign that she is pregnant

kayla
October 23rd, 2005, 09:21 PM
Hello horses4ever,

I would see a vet about this. Unspayed animals can get all sorts of reproductive cancers. Could be a nipple infection too. There are also "phantom pregnancies" that could cause this. Are you trying to breed her?

I got this following blurb on phantom pregancies off the net:

"A phantom pregnancy is when a female imagines and goes through all the symptoms of believing she is pregnant. Females will store toys and treat them like young puppies, her teats will get large (enlarged mammary glands )and she will even produce milk. Her Abdomen will swell and her appetite will change. The behavior is not good during this period.

At whelping time she will be very hyperactive and very excitable, she will pant and even tremble. She will curl up to her toys (puppies) varying symptoms are restlessness, whining and crying. Some females will go off their food and expect a lot of abnormal behavior. Females will become very affectionate to the family. Your vet should see the female who will no doubt recommend to reduce her diet and fluid intake, since the more she drinks the more milk will be produced. Dried food is best and plenty of exercise to keep her bowels moving so as to excrete all the excess fluid produced by her body.

A phantom pregnancy is not to be considered a neurotic tendency, but should be considered as normal behavior due to an abnormality of the ovaries.

Another theory is that the wild only the dominant female in the pack will be covered by a dominant male of her choosing. The other females normally produce milk for the litter which can be in excess of ten puppies. The other females in the pack produce milk to help the mother to feed the puppies. I would not be surprised that another female in your area in about one kilometer has had puppies and your pet is producing milk for them.

Your vet will treat your dog, and then I would recommend that she be spayed, so that she will not suffer again. Having a phantom pregnancy does not mean that the bitch is sterile and unable to be mated and bear a litter."

horses4ever2090
October 23rd, 2005, 10:35 PM
No we are not trying to breed her. That is why it took me by surprise. We are planning on taking her to the vet i was just hoping somebody might know what is going on. she doesn't act like she is pregnant, but she is overweight so its kinda hard to tell. Thank you for that article

kayla
October 23rd, 2005, 11:17 PM
No we are not trying to breed her. That is why it took me by surprise. We are planning on taking her to the vet i was just hoping somebody might know what is going on. she doesn't act like she is pregnant, but she is overweight so its kinda hard to tell. Thank you for that article

Good to hear you aren't trying to breed her :thumbs up

There's a few things that could be going on though so the vet is really the best person to ask since daignosis is difficult over the internet. Are you planning on getting her spayed at the vet as well? It is something to think about, it reduces the chances of some health probems and also eliminates the chances of her getting pregnant accidentally. Even though you aren't planning on breeding her anything can happen, there are many pets in shelters due to unwanted pregnancies so it's always good to opt for the safe side ;) .

Hope your beagle is okay and please keep us posted! :fingerscr

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 02:48 AM
You might want to put her on a diet, too. (After speaking to the vet, of course) Too much weight is very hard on a doggy and can drastically shorten the time the doggy will have any quality of life..

:troll: JMO

BMDLuver
October 24th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Could also be pyometria... please have her checked by the vet.

horses4ever2090
October 24th, 2005, 09:17 PM
We are having to have her fixed. The owner that we bought her from, a friend of mine, was going to have her bread but his breeder died and now she is older and i dont want to take any changes of her not making it through the pregnancy. She is now on a diet, she has been for a little while but not long enough yet cause she is still fat but i know it takes time and i dont want her loosing a lot of weight at once. Thanks for all of your input

doggy lover
October 24th, 2005, 09:25 PM
If your not planning on breeding her you might want to get her fixed so that you don't have to worry about unwanted preg, and all the other problems of unfixed females.

kayla
October 24th, 2005, 09:37 PM
If your not planning on breeding her you might want to get her fixed so that you don't have to worry about unwanted preg, and all the other problems of unfixed females.

I think she is planning on having her fixed doggy lover, if I'm reading her post right. :)

JessXx
October 24th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Hi
Theres no sure way to tell if your dog is pregnant unless you get her checked out. Yes, thats a sign, but its also signs of other things. Go to a vet to be sure!
:love:

horses4ever2090
December 8th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks for all ur help. My dog was not pregnant she just ate Birth control which messed up her hormones:pawprint: