Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you house train a 9 week old puppy?!

rivers
October 23rd, 2005, 08:44 PM
We have a 9 week old puppy miniature schnauzer.
How do I train her to pee and poop outside? I am at home all day, and let her out constantly to do her business. But how do I let her know that the odd accident is not acceptable and she must do it outside? Sometimes it happens during the night when we are all asleep.

I have no idea how or what to do and want to get this right.

StaceyB
October 24th, 2005, 12:18 AM
There are many threads here that are filled with detailed instructions on how to do it. Take a look and if you still have questions we would be happy to help. By the way is your pup registered for classes yet?

rivers
October 24th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I've tried to search on here, but keep getting tons of other training stuff, not much house training. Maybe I'm using the wrong words in my search...

jessi76
October 24th, 2005, 02:39 PM
People housebreak all different ways - just find one way that works for you and your pup. Some use training pads, newspaper, crates, nothing...

i did crate training, and when my pup wasn't in the crate, i was watching his every move. if he started to squat, i'd scoop him up and run outside. Once your pup does go outside, praise and treat like he won the gold in the olympics! make a BIG deal of it. treat, praise, play! make him WANT to go potty outside. Taking him to the same area outside helps too.

as for nighttime, like I said above, I crate trained, so if any accidents were to happen, it was in the crate. I kept the crate next to my bed, and when my pup whined I took him out - at night it was business-like, no play time in the middle of the night - then back to the crate to sleep.

it'll happen, but not overnight, in a week, or even a month. Just be consistant, happy, and buy lots of cleaner. all puppies have accidents.

Roxy's_MA
October 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Make sure you let her out a key times. I.e. after she eats, when she wakes up, and when you get home if you have left her.