Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good cat toys

badger
October 23rd, 2005, 08:32 PM
With the winter coming and my two cats stuck inside, I need to buy some new cat toys to keep them occupied between naps. Unfortunately, they do not play well together. We have our daily sessions of flyball, but I am thinking more about the long hours when I'm not here.

They have one of those plastic 'doughnuts' with the ball inside, which is quite popular. I would love to be able to afford a carpeted tower with the hidey-holes, but it's a bit rich for my budget right now and I am nowhere near handy enough to build one myself. Any ideas? Does anyone know of a store in Montreal that has good stuff?

Poe
October 23rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
I've been thinking of asking the same question. My PoeKit has taken to attacking a nick in the drywall. I think he might be trying to tell me something.

I was wondering if anyone had success with the sproingy things that hang on doorknobs. Of course, nothing beats paper on a string and a shot of catnip. :thumbs up

CyberKitten
October 23rd, 2005, 10:18 PM
I am one of the many ppl who spent $$ on all those kewl looking toys that "I" was certain YY would love and enjoy! Of course, I really should have listened to her. Panic Mouse - which I spent something like $30US on (Siamese Rescue had a sale) - interested her but nowhere near as much as those ties you find at the grocery store for closing plastic bags. She will play with those for hours!!! Or so it seems, lol - losing them and digging for them and she works really hard at finding them. Only in really dire straits - say the one seh wants is under the fridge and she just cannot reach it - will she yowl for me to come and find it for her.

Have you tried Dollarama or WalMart? WalMart has some inexpensive cat balls and a local dollar store at Scotia Square in Halifax (I think it's called "Everything's a Dollar) had one of those wind up mice - you wind up the mouse and it races across the room (works best on a tile floor or at least one with no carpet) so I bought several. She and the Sphynx Girls are crazy for those mice that dangle. They chase them and when I stop, there are yowls of "mrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeewwww" which translated I have learned means "more, more, more!!!" Those are also $1 at a local discount grocery store. Balls (and I do not buy the ones with bells or tiny items inside since I leave the balls on the floor and do not want the kitties swallowing anything). I have a short movie of YY chasing the grocery tags if I can find it ( :D It is on my hard drive somewhere but I am not sure where, call me the absnet minded prof, lol), I'll upload it - or possibly I did that already, heheh

Anyway - my main point is that there are all kinds of inexpensive items that can be used at good toys. Many cats also like the tops of milk jugs - they like to chase them around. The only prob with YY's fixation on the tags is that I have to be there when she plays with them - I'd worry about her swallowing them otherwise. Casey and Chelsea have shown no interest in them so much - other than to wonder what YY is doing and occasionally, Casey will steal one from her and then the chase is on.

We also have mice that squeak, mice that move, mice that blink, mice that circle - YY still prefers those grocery tags but for a change she will play with the tags. When she was a tiny kitten, she used to enjoy feathers and she still does on occasion.

I think the secret is like we do with small children. Keep some toys hidden and bring them out when the kits look like they are bored. Even tho cats have a great memory, they will think or at least let you think they think ( :) ) that these are new toys!

Good luck!

Poe
October 23rd, 2005, 10:45 PM
The grocery tags reminded me of Poe's other favourite indoor toys: goldfish, spiders, knots in the wood floor, and toilet paper.

I saw your video, CyberKitten. Looks like exactly the kind of toy Poe would love! He had this great toy once we called "Wood Chip." I wonder what happened to poor Wood. I think Grocery Tag could just be the replacement we've been looking for.

LM1313
October 23rd, 2005, 11:28 PM
You know how on some boxes, like microwave meals and things, you pull off a strip of cardboard to open it? My kittens LOVE those. They go nuts over anything, though! ;)

~LM~

gottahavepets
October 24th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Lucas absolutely loves honeysuckle pillows. The can be found nearly anywhere. The first time I gave him one, I wet it just a bit to release the odor (it's quite nice actually) and he played with it like it was the finest catnip. And there was no mess. Cera used to love chasing the rings from juice jugs, you know the part that's left behind when you open them up. Roll it across the floor and she's out of there. My mom uses a cheap little laser pointer, the animals love it (even the dogs) although she's very careful not to point it at their eyes. LOL it so fun to watch!

Lissa
October 24th, 2005, 12:27 AM
How about a cat tunnel? Minnow has two of them and loves to tear around, hide and sleep in them. She prefers the bigger tunnels (like dog agility or children tunnels)! I actually contemplated getting her a tunnel and "house" set for children but figured it would take up WAY too much space (not to mention Dodger would get jealous and then deicide to eat it!

I also bought her a "crinkle" bag - she loved it at first but now won't go near it!

Aside from catnip, anything that is manufactured as a "cat toy", Minnow completely ignores - I swear she thinks that they are below her!

The only toy she has ever liked is this one from Petsmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9511&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033745&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1130127311505

I still take Minnow for her walks on warmer winter days - when she's had enough, I slip her under my jacket and inside her carrier - she likes to poke her head out and look down upon Dodger! :D

kayla
October 24th, 2005, 09:54 AM
You could try a change from crumpled news paper to crumpled aluminum foil. It's shiny and makes a different noise than paper so it might be more interesting to your kitties. The lids of 2 liter pop bottles also work wonders. Those have been the best toys in my experience.

I started a thread last Spring when I was fostering some kitties and trying to keep them entertained. There were quite a few good ideas there if you want to check it out.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13632&highlight=cat+toy

jawert1
October 24th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I had a meezer kitten that simply refused to play with anything I bought for her, however milk jug caps (or soda bottle caps) she went crazy for. I also had an old college ID lanyard that I hung over the door nob and stuck a small jingle bell on the end of. Talk about hours of batting fun (and batty mommy!). Old socks all balled up with a piece of string you can pull them around on work wonders too :)

Roxy's_MA
October 24th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I bought a crinkle bag for my cat and they just were not interested in it. What they really like is this toy that has a long flexible stick, with feathers, ribbons and a bell on the end. They go nuts for it. The only thing is, it is a very interactive toy, not as fun unless someone plays with kitty. I paid about $4 at petsmart.

Roxy's_MA
October 24th, 2005, 01:18 PM
:sorry: I didn't realize Lissa posted the toy already. That is the one my cats love too! :love: