Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toilet training kittens

Stacer
October 23rd, 2005, 07:26 PM
My husband and I are seriously considering toilet training our 4 month old kittens. Does anyone have any experience/advice on how to successfully train them? We normally wouldn't consider doing this but we live in a small apartment and the smell can get overwhelming despite the constant scooping. Plus the 2 of them are quite possibly the most slobbish cats I have ever known. Not to mention the savings of not having to buy litter.
Thanks

CyberKitten
October 23rd, 2005, 09:28 PM
The mother of my siamese cat was trained to use the toilet but opted to return to her litter box when she had her babies - and her breeder thus took a cue from her and did not go back to it. By then she also had read enough research showing how un natural this is for feline anatomy and wirrying about problems like arthritis later was enough for her to change her mind. I thought about it too till I read more on what's good for the cat. I think toilet training is a great thing for humans but it's less great for the cat.

Just some things for you to think about. It can be done pretty easily - takes about 2 weeks for most cats - but you have to weigh the benefits and down side. I think of you were in a position where the cat was in danger of being evicted because of the litter box smell - (This occured with a patient of mine; she was 16 and her mother could not tolerate the smell at all and did not want to hurt her daughter by demanding the cat go to live with relatives so the teenager toilet trained her kitty and all the humans were happy. Not sure about the cat tho but at least he did not have to leave his human!)

Lucky Rescue
October 23rd, 2005, 09:52 PM
I think toilet training is a great thing for humans but it's less great for the cat.

Right. IF you want to do this, you better know exactly what you're doing, since you are asking a cat to go against a deeply ingrained instinct to dig and bury it's waste.

Done incorrectly, you could end up with cats who start using the floor to go on. I don't like to mess around with my cats' litterboxes. I'm just glad they use them!:p

Have you thought of trying a covered litterbox with a charcoal filter on top?

LM1313
October 23rd, 2005, 10:32 PM
Maybe you can find a more odor-deadening litter? I use corn litter for my two kittens and there is absolutely no smell, except when they are actually pooping or peeing. Also, it's biodegradable (yay!) and flushable (BIG yay!)

They do kick it all over, though!

I'm in a small apartment too, BTW!

~LM~

PetFriendly
October 24th, 2005, 03:24 PM
We have our boxes in an enclosed space (laundry closet with a cat door) and use Arm & Hammer litter de-oderizer (sp).

Walking around my house, you'd never know there were cats in residence!

jessi76
October 24th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Regular old baking soda does the trick too. I put a half to one inch layer of baking soda under the regular kitty litter in the box. When they scratch, they mix it up. It absorbs odors wonderfully and it's cheap.

Stacer
October 24th, 2005, 04:28 PM
I use corn litter for my two kittens and there is absolutely no smell, except when they are actually pooping or peeing. Also, it's biodegradable (yay!) and flushable (BIG yay!)

We use corn litter, don't find that it is any less smelly than clay litter.
We'll think more about the toilet training. Maybe give it a try and if they don't like it, then switch back to the litter box. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the input