Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog grooming videos?

april07
October 23rd, 2005, 06:31 PM
Murphy isn't the greatest at the groomers,seems to get a little nasty. I'm very interested in learning to groom him myself. I've heard of dog grooming videos and wondering if anyone knows a good place to get one, I would be looking for a westie one?

april07
October 23rd, 2005, 06:33 PM
Or does anyone even recommend them?

kayla
October 23rd, 2005, 11:46 PM
Not sure about the videos but my dad's gf decided that with two poodles it was too expensive so she would just do them herself. She just asked her groomer if she could stay and watch for a session to learn how to do it and the groomer was happy to let her. She uses an electric razor for the body and scissors for the longer parts. The feet are apparently the hardest part. Not sure what a Westie cut is like though so don't know how hard it would be.

Daizy
October 24th, 2005, 04:04 PM
I groom my toy poodle myself and its really easy. You can buy the clippers at Canadian tyre and they are not expensive. They are probably not the best quality, but they work and they do the job (even if they become useless in 6 months time, they are so cheap, you can just buy some more). If you do a search on the internet there are lots of good sites with tips and how to ... They also will tell you how to do inside of the ears etc, etc .... And remember, if you make a mistake, it's only hair and it will grow back :)

glasslass
October 25th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I stumbled on this website about grooming and it has a forum for both professional and amature groomers. You could probably get a lot of info just browsing through the posts or join and ask questions. I groom Den-Den and Corky myself and I enjoy it. They squirm around sometimes, but if I'm grooming one, the other wants to be the one I'm working on. They love the one-on-one attention.

www.groomers.org