Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

out of balance dog?

gro
October 23rd, 2005, 04:41 PM
My 14 yr. old jack russel/cocker spaniel cross seems to be healthy and quite active for his age, however, when he gives his head a shake he seems to go off balance and sometimes falls or stumbles. He has been somewhat deaf for a couple of years and I believe his eyesight is failing as well. Any suggestions? Thanks.

LM1313
October 23rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
One day my fourteen year old lab / border collie mix was walking around like she was disoriented. Her legs were very weak and wobbly, too. Later that night she threw up (very foamy vomit, I've never seen anything quite like it) and started having seizures. Really severe, scary seizures! We took her to the emergency vet and they kept her overnight and hydrated her with IVs . . .

Unfortunately, I can't remember what the vet said it was called! :confused: But he said it was something that older dogs were prone to and some pull out of it and some don't. My dog was lucky and made almost a full recovery.

I don't know if that's what your dog has, but keep a close eye on your baby and be ready to rush him to the vet if necessary! Maybe you should take him to the vet anyway, just in case.

~LM~

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 03:06 AM
I'd go to the vet. It might be just that he's getting older and has worse balance (like human elders) or he might be developing something like labyrinthitis or even a brain tumor. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

StaceyB
October 24th, 2005, 07:02 AM
It could even be an ear infection or something like what has been mentioned, either way your dog needs to be diagnosed and treated by your vet. Please go asap. Let us know what you find out.

BMDLuver
October 24th, 2005, 09:43 AM
We had a Berner come in with similar symptoms... he had a nasty inner ear infection and would shake his head and pitch sideways. The infection was resilient to one of the antibiotics so he switched and is now fine. I would definitely have it checked out as whatever it is, it needs to be cleared up. :thumbs up

gro
October 24th, 2005, 09:47 PM
I took dear old Archie to the vet already and he does have an inner ear infection. He is now on medication and being pampered even more than usual.

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Yey! Thanks for the update. :)