October 23rd, 2005, 01:42 PM
We make a homemade diet for dog and the receipe we have was given to us from our holistic clinic. It has a list of good vegtables to use and Broccoli is one of them which i use quite a bit. My cousin needed to go to the emerg clinic for some reason and they ended up getting on the topic of toxic foods.The clinic there says broccoli is toxic in large quanaties. So as you can seen i'm a little confused now,i'm more leaning towards believing my vet that if it's good to put in their food.Does anyone else give their broccoli>
October 23rd, 2005, 03:32 PM
Broccoli makes my doggies gassy... Basically, I picture my doggies in the wild... Or at least as strays. I don't think that if they opened a bag full of broccoli they would binge on it till they were sick. That being the case, they probably don't crave it too much because they don't need too much of it. You know what I mean? I just don't think doggies need a diet FULL of broccoli. JMO
October 23rd, 2005, 03:51 PM
Prin,thanks for your input. I understand a doggy doesn't need a FULL diet of broccoli. It might have sounded like,but he really doesn't get that much in his food.His diet bascially consists of chicken or turkey,a variety of vegetables and supplements. He maybe gets 1 oz of broccoli a day and i try to switch the recipes around so he gets lots of variety.I've never noticed Murphy become gassy on it. Yeah I know alot of dogs would probably reget it,i'm not even a big fan of it myself.He just LOVES anything that is FOOD! :D I was just a bit more wooried about the toxity, I did some research on the net and some sites don't have it listed as toxic and some do but the ones that do it's in huge huge quanties which of course he doesn't get. I also looked at raw food diets and they include broccoli,so my guess it's pretty safe to feed it.
October 23rd, 2005, 05:00 PM
my dog eats a huge variety of fresh foods and veges, mainly veges and fruit, and the top of ehr list of fav foods is, BROCCOLI, she loves the stuff and after 9yrs of eating it is not dead so it didnt hurt her. she had a bad accident years ago that prevents her from eating bones, broccoli stumps are the only thing i can give her that cleans her teeth as well, and she loves the, i eat the head she eats the big stalks.
just like all food in moderation im sure its not a problem, but if the dog ate nothing but broccoli then you would have an issue.
look ppl have many theories about dogs and food, some wont feed grapes, or carrot, i feeldthe lot, its down to the individual and as long as your fell has no advers effects then i say its fine, and the best way to tell is watch his poo, if its normal hes fine and dandy.
and try a broccoli stump for a bone snack, charlie my girl says he wont regret it at all.....
and lots of fruit, my girl eats, mangos, peaches, apples, pears, strawberries, gooseberries, bananas, water melons, other melons, grapes (only seedless), oh and the list is endlessnot to mention she eats most vegies also, we also grow some produce and she often jsut helps herself in the yard. and dogs will often eat what an owner eats anyway, i once know a dingo called ringo :D who ate nothing but curry whcih his human ate, and he lived till he was 14yo, so use your judgement.
trust your judgement, if he is having a reaction its not good, but he sounds fine so do what you think best.
have fun and dont let them steal the mangos, its jsut not fair no matter how cute it is :D
October 23rd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Like Mel's Charlie, my Layla LOVES broccoli. She can tell the difference between the "broccoli bag" and any other food-containing bag, and she will come running. Yes it gives her gas, but (again as Mel said) it cleans her teeth, and it makes her really happy! Not to mention that since it's high in fibre, it helps stool formation and a couple other gi-related things. I'm 100% for it
October 23rd, 2005, 10:38 PM
Okay in small quantities - depends on dog's system I guess. I had same conversation with doctor when I developed acid based kidney stones - used to eat a lot of broccoli, cauliflower, legumes - that type of food. Not any more - I really have to watch purines and oxalic acid. It is possible your cousin might have same reaction to such foods. I give my Eskimo certain fruits and vegetables, but as Eskies are prone to bladder stones, I watch certain types.
October 23rd, 2005, 11:18 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I feel alot better :)
October 24th, 2005, 01:34 AM
look ppl have many theories about dogs and food, some wont feed grapes, or carrot, i feeldthe lot, its down to the individual and as long as your fell has no advers effects then i say its fine, and the best way to tell is watch his poo, if its normal hes fine and dandy.Grapes cause kidney failure... Can you tell that from the poop? :eek: (not trying to be a smart a**... but can you tell from the poop?)
January 23rd, 2010, 12:39 AM
My dog Buddy is super motivated by food and his whole world is wrapped around his belly. He has knee problems so his weight management is crucial. A few hours after his dinner, he is STARVING (he's a bit dramatic)! So instead of listening to him bark, I started giving him broccoli (and carrots sometimes too). He cracks me up because he will take each piece to his bed to eat as if it's a steak! It's hilarious! So he's been eating it for a few years now and he's good as gold. He's always gassy so it's hard to say if that is it or not. I was on here looking to see if it was dangerous. Glad to hear he should be fine. :) Thank you all for sharing!