Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potties while on walks

Beetlecat
October 23rd, 2005, 10:28 AM
I'm working on retarining my dog to only potty at home. But we're having a hang up as far as poohing goes. Even if he goes before we leave, it's almost a given that he will have to go once during the walk. And it's always very runny and yellowish. And he strains with often only a little bit as a result.

Does he do this because the walking stimulates his bowels, even though he just went? It is unrelated to any stomach problems or illnesses as he has always done this.

IS this related to what he is being fed? Or how much?

He simply will not hold it until we get where we are going. If I don't let him sniff and look, then he'll eventually go in the middle of the sidewalk, even though I know he doesn't like that and he will walk (while squatted) over to the grass.

Lucky Rescue
October 23rd, 2005, 10:50 AM
And it's always very runny and yellowish. And he strains with often only a little bit as a result.

That is not normal, and I wouldn't try any training until you get this problem cleared up since it's impossible for him to hold in diarrhea.

Has there been a stool analysis? What are you feeding him?

Beetlecat
October 23rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
He's getting Innova.

See that's the thing, his stools are perfectly formed, unless we go for a walk.

I used to think it was just a puppy thing, having to poop more often sort of thing. But he's getting older.

And then I though it was a marking behaviour, but he will go even when he knows I don't want him to so I've ruled that one out.

I've been told that it could just be the exercise making his bowel move, and that 15 months old really isn't grown up yet. So maybe he'll still grow out of it.

april07
October 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Murphy always likes to do his business on walks, I think it somehow stimuates his bowels. His stools are always the same consistency though. So I honestly can't tell you why they change so drastically when he goes for walks. Is it everytime?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 23rd, 2005, 08:45 PM
Beetlecat I'm working on retarining my dog to only potty at home.

Joey always poops on his walk. I actually prefer that he does that, it saves me from cleaning up the yard everyday. He has us trained too he waits at the front door to go out for his walk never the back door. :D

Puppyluv
October 23rd, 2005, 08:57 PM
I'm a little confused as to why you don't want your dog "going potty" on walks. Especially since exercise stimulates the bowels, so while youre dog may not need to poop before walking, a little bit of exercise will change that. (Just think about those times you're out, far from a toilet, and you have an urge to go... running to the toilet only makes it worse :o )

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 02:01 AM
He's getting Innova.
See that's the thing, his stools are perfectly formed, unless we go for a walk.

A walk is not enough stimulation to produce a soft stool. A regular stool, yes, but not a soft one. I think the difference between home and walking stools here is that when he goes at home, his colon has been working on the food for a while because he's not outside to relieve it... But on a walk, there's no reason to retain it. You know what I mean?

I think if he was outside all day, you'd see that no stool (except maybe the first one) is solid. It's like it's on the borderline between solid and unretainable diarrhea, so he doesn't bother you to go out, and the colon keeps working on it. I think the first step is to reduce the amount you are feeding. Maybe by 1/8 or 1/4 cup for a day and see if the stools harden up. If not, you may have to change foods.

It's not too fun- even when the stool is solid, that means that the colon has been working on it, acids and all. It's like it ends up in the colon too quickly... Can't be too comfortable... You know?

BMDLuver
October 24th, 2005, 08:52 AM
I'm working on retarining my dog to only potty at home.
I would caution against this as if you are travelling and visiting friends then he will end up holding it until he gets back to his home which may lead to other problems.

Sorry I have no suggestion as to why he is pooping differently on walks.

Beetlecat
October 24th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I think the first step is to reduce the amount you are feeding. Maybe by 1/8 or 1/4 cup for a day and see if the stools harden up. If not, you may have to change foods.

I can try that. As well, do you think it could be an allergy? I changed him over to Innova because his stools were too soft, and this seemed to fix it. But perhaps it's not really fixed after all.

And to all that asked, I would prefer him not to potty on walks because it's simply a bother. I have to slow down and let him sniff and find the perfect spot then have him sit/stay while I clean it up then find a garbage can somewhere. etc etc.

And I certinaly don't need him stopping suddenly when we're biking or rollerblading.

And if he's already gone not long before, then I get this runny yellow goop which is no fun to clean up.

And it's not so much I don't want him to go anywhere except at home, I just don't want him to go without a command letting him (unless he's off-leash of course). That way, when I see he has to go or I figure it's time, then I could take him somewhere appropriate and have him potty.

jessi76
October 24th, 2005, 01:19 PM
As well, do you think it could be an allergy?

allergic to walks? ;) sorry, had to say it.

Perhaps he's straining to poop because he's used to pooping on walks? and since he's straining so much (after just going earlier) the loose poop is the result? Have you tried distracting him with treats or a squeeky toy or something? if he stops, starts to sniff & squat... distract him, start to run & play, then get back on track of walking. just an idea.

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 08:58 PM
I think he might have an intolerance, but you have to reduce the amount first to see if you're not just feeding too much. The commercial foods have stool hardeners, and the more natural foods don't- so if you feed too much, the stool will be soft. Try reducing it, and if that doesn't work after a couple of days, you'd have to rethink the innova... Maybe... But you just switched, no? It could take a while to adjust to it (Jemma and Boo took 4 months to get used to Solid Gold...).

Frankly, I think you're expecting too much control. Boo was controlled like that before we got him and it took FOREVER to get him to go. If he lost his spot, it would take him literally at least a half hour to go. Unless you want trouble later, please don't try to control that. My doggies go on command, but they go without it too. You know? You can make them go when they don't think they have to without any trouble, but you can't make them not go without mixed messages, confusion and a lot of trouble later on... Be careful.

Puppyluv
October 24th, 2005, 09:02 PM
And to all that asked, I would prefer him not to potty on walks because it's simply a bother. I have to slow down and let him sniff and find the perfect spot then have him sit/stay while I clean it up then find a garbage can somewhere. etc etc.

:confused: Isn't this part of having a dog??? JMO, but it's a little ridiculous to expect your dog not to poop on walk.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 24th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I actually find it more of a bother to clean the lawn. At least on a walk its just pick up and go, and put it in the closest garbage can and then you dont have to worry about the lawn. Its like getting the walk and potty break in one. Sort of like doggie multi-tasking. :D

Our last dog would only go in our yard, Never once did he go on the walk. But then I also had a whole backyard to clean up, which wasnt much fun especially in winter.

Beetlecat
October 24th, 2005, 11:37 PM
:confused: Isn't this part of having a dog??? JMO, but it's a little ridiculous to expect your dog not to poop on walk.

I don't see how it is ridiculous at all. Just because many dogs poop on walks doesn't mean they all have to or need to.

It's not like I hate him 'cause he poops during walks but why put up with something uneccesary if it can be retrained?

That's like folk that put up with their dogs peeing inside the house constantly because they always have or dogs that pull on leashes. I see no reason to settle. If it can be fixed and made better, why not try?

And to the other comments, my dog has a seperate potty area (basically a gravel strip by the fence that is fenced in) and I never leave him outside in the yard, so clean-up is super easy.

mafiaprincess
October 26th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Mine goes on command, but also when she needs too. She used to only go on command and it could take 45 minutes for her to finally do her business. That was terrible. I also used to worry about going anywhere with her cause she'd try to hold it a long time.

Mine goes once a day to poop, but when I'm a good Mommy and we walk I get a second one, and possible a messier third. And I had her stool looked at.. she's okay.

Seems to be excercise related. *shrug*

Jingles
October 27th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I have a puppy that is 10 weeks old and he refuses to go potty on walks. I would love it if he'd 'do his business' on a walk. My yard is a mess. up to 9 little piles to hunt for every day. He's a poop..walk...poop kind of dog. Very annoying but he makes up for it in cuteness. :p

les
October 27th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I just don't want him to go without a command letting him (unless he's off-leash of course). That way, when I see he has to go or I figure it's time, then I could take him somewhere appropriate and have him potty.

Maybe it's just me but that seems pretty silly. I mean, do you go only on command and when someone tells you you can? :confused: I sure wouldn't like that!

My 2 dogs go at home and on walks depending on when they have to go - they don't need a command to tell them when that is! The only thing I taught them about doing their "business" is "it's bedtime" and they know after that, we're going to bed so they better get it out if they have to!! (For my sake, since I'll be the one getting up with them if they have to go again!! :p )

Puppyluv
October 27th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I have a puppy that is 10 weeks old and he refuses to go potty on walks. I would love it if he'd 'do his business' on a walk. My yard is a mess. up to 9 little piles to hunt for every day. He's a poop..walk...poop kind of dog. Very annoying but he makes up for it in cuteness. :p
Not to get too off topic, but 9 poops a day is a lot, and could possibly be a cause for concern, either due to a medical issue, or overfeeding... Has he been given a clean bill of health??

jesse's mommy
October 27th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Puppyluv -- My dog actually does the same exact thing. It's actually 2-3 poops a day, but is spread in about 6-10 piles. With the risk of sounding too graphic, she'll let a turd go here, something grabs her attention then walks a few steps and let's another go, then smells something across the yard and lets another turd go as she is walking. I think my dog has severe ADD because she has such a short attention span that she can't even make a turd in one spot!

Puppyluv
October 27th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I think my dog has severe ADD because she has such a short attention span that she can't even make a turd in one spot!
LOL when you put it that way, I guess Layla does a similar thing, but since I don't have a yard, I don't realize it. She tends to start to poop, sees/hears something, stops because she's distracted, then takes two steps and starts again (repeat up to 4 times depending on how many distractions are around :D )

doggy lover
October 27th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I have IBS and hate going out incase I have to poop, I couldn't emagine being in the worlds biggest potty and not being able to go. Sometimes on our walk I have to rush home for the deed.:D
Tucker likes to spread his wealth too, walk and poop and make sure you do the scratch after and heaven forbid if you pass a tree or firehydrant and not pee on it. But I don't let him pee or poop on peoples lawns, only on the bulavard or at the park, where I always poop and scoop.

LM1313
October 28th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Ebony is a walk-and-poop dog too! And even though she's female, she's learned to lift her leg and "aim" at bushes. *facepalm*

I don't think you should train a dog only to go on command . . . If he gets a disease that makes him have to urinate a lot or that gave him diahrrea, mightn't he try to "hold" it in to be "good"? I don't think that would be good for a dog . . . it would be stressful and maybe medically harmful.

~LM~

SarahLynn123
October 28th, 2005, 05:32 PM
And I certinaly don't need him stopping suddenly when we're biking or rollerblading.

I read in the paper not to long ago that in Calgary it is now against the law to ride your bike or rollerblade with your dog on a leash and if your cought you can be fined.

Not sure if its the same where you are though.

jesse's mommy
October 28th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Going back to the walk-and-poop subject, I think I have a record, one poop, six different places in the yard. We were chasing crickets as we were pooping tonight. Boy that's going to be fun to clean up tomorrow!

Puppyluv
October 28th, 2005, 09:24 PM
I read in the paper not to long ago that in Calgary it is now against the law to ride your bike or rollerblade with your dog on a leash and if your cought you can be fined.

Probably a good thing. About 12 years ago, my mom was biking with our dalmation on a leash. She had to make a sudden stop for a car, but Jessie (our dal) didn't stop. My mom went flying over the handlebars of her bike and smashed in her face. (Lost her front teeth, broke her nose, ripped apart her upper lip). From that day on, we were never allowed to bike/blade with the dogs.

Back to the "potty on command" issue. What will you do if: 1) you go on a trip and take your dog with you 2)put him in a kennel 3) take him to a friend's place to stay 4) go on a day trip to somewhere else 5) move?
This is like teaching your children to only ever use one particular toilet in your house. No one else's house, not the school, not the mall, or airport, or hotel or anything.
I think you're just asking for trouble.

Beetlecat
November 1st, 2005, 04:36 PM

As far as I am aware, there is no such law in Edmonton. Thanks for the heads up though. I didn't know Calgary had outlawed that. I don't see many people here rollerblading/biking with dogs but I don't have too much of a choice as I'm not a jogger and Ky would be impossible to live with if we only ever went for leash walks. And I got him to be my exercise buddy.

And to some of the other comments, please read this in full rather than skimming over it, as I've already mentioned it atleast once in this thread. ( :sorry: if I sound annoyed but I prefer not be raked over the coals because folks are not listening to what I am saying..)

I am not trying to make my dog never ever go potty unless I tell him to and then he has to go right that minute. That's not it at all.

What I do not want him to do is go potty indiscriminatly wheverver he is. Say we're standing in the middle of a crowd of people, that's not a good potty place. Or if we're on an outdoor stage or crossing a street..

And if I take him somewhere, tell him to potty, and he doesn't have to, well that's fine. I'm not going to make him go. But the potty command will let him know that if he does have to go, then this is a good spot and a good time.

I can generally tell if he has the urge, so then he can hopefully hold it while I walk us over to a suitable spot and give him his potty command. Letting him know he can go now.

Off-leash, he can go whever he want, whenever he want.

So to reiterate, I do not want to train him to only go potty in a specific area of a specific yard of a specific house. My goal is so that he does not have to potty while we are moving at high speeds together or during short walks. Since I usually tell him to go before we leave the house (his routine is to potty before leaveing the yard) I see no reason why he should have to go while leash walking.

In any case, this appears to be a diet issue rather than a training issue as I don't think reatraining him would be difficult at all except for his apparent need to defecate a couple spoonfuls of sludgy stool during any walk of over 10 minutes or so (even if he already defecated right before we left the house).

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 05:11 PM
In any case, this appears to be a diet issue rather than a training issue as I don't think reatraining him would be difficult at all except for his apparent need to defecate a couple spoonfuls of sludgy stool during any walk of over 10 minutes or so (even if he already defecated right before we left the house). I agree. When you reworded it, it made it clearer that the doggy is going because of an urgency, not just because he's outside and can go. The urgency of it certainly can be food related. I would say change the meat source in the food (like change from chicken to lamb, or salmon).

Suzan
November 5th, 2005, 09:19 AM
I've read the other suggestions and would agree it is probably the type of food or quantity of food IF his stools were loose all the time. Since you say they are well formed when at home but become loose and watery on walks... I think we have to look elsewhere.

My first guess would be that your dog is excited, nervous or agitated on the walks. Maybe ( I am going blind here so just throwing out ideas) you are walking, running or moving faster then is comfortable for him. Maybe it is the crowds on streets. Maybe it is other dogs or traffic that scare him.

I am sure that working dogs ( ie police dogs) are trained to go when first taken out and then not again until given the release. I don't think your problem though is a training one. I think you have to deal with the consistency of the stools first because as it is, the dog simply can not hold it.
Suzan

mona_b
November 5th, 2005, 11:27 AM
So to reiterate, I do not want to train him to only go potty in a specific area of a specific yard of a specific house. My goal is so that he does not have to potty while we are moving at high speeds together or during short walks. Since I usually tell him to go before we leave the house (his routine is to potty before leaveing the yard) I see no reason why he should have to go while leash walking.

Well something is definately making him do this.Have you talked to your vet about this?Has he been checked out lately?

I am sure that working dogs ( ie police dogs) are trained to go when first taken out and then not again until given the release.

This is not how they are trained at all.There is no "release" when it comes to them pooping.If they have to go,they have to go.They are not trained to hold it.

Prin
November 5th, 2005, 12:45 PM
"Get 'im Rex!"
"Hang on boss... Hannnggggg onnnnnn... ok, done." :D

chico2
November 5th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Aww Prin,you're priceless :crazy:
When I first started walking my neighbors Cocker Spaniel,I only took one bag along,but soon enough found out I needed at least four :D
She gets sooo excited at going for a walk,it's like she does not have the time to finish pooping and gives me 4 piles to pick up,but that's ok..I love her :love: The other day though,it was runny and I had to mix it with leaves to get it cleaned up and boy,did it stink!!But she was fine again the next day,nice solid little turds :p

doggy lover
November 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Dog sled teams s--t on the fly, so don't smile while your behind a sled you might get something stuck between you teeth.:eek:

mona_b
November 7th, 2005, 09:44 PM
"Get 'im Rex!"
"Hang on boss... Hannnggggg onnnnnn... ok, done." :D

ROTFLMFAO

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/GSD4Life/gehenderGSD.gif