Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

House temperature for cats

Benny
October 23rd, 2005, 11:27 AM
I have adopted 2 short hair kittens, boy and a girl, who are 6 months old. Recently been spayed and neutered. I live alone and typically have set back my thermostat to 60 degrees when I am gone and 65 degrees at night. I usually keep it around 70 when I'm at home. I live in Atlanta, and it doesn't get too cold here (low in 40s in winter). Is 60 degrees too low to set back my house temperature when I am away for the cats' comfort? What is the ideal temperature?

Thanks in advance!

Lucky Rescue
October 23rd, 2005, 11:47 AM
Congrats on your new additions!:)

Don't worry about the temperature. Cats are quite tolerant of cold and you can just give them some snuggly beds to cuddle in. Before I adopted my cats, they lived outside here, where the temp in the winter is frequently in the minus 25 degree range and they survived quite well.

Cats are much less tolerant of heat, so I hope they have a place to keep cool in summer!

cpietra16
October 23rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
I used to have a cat that loved to get under the wood stove (~6 inch clearing)... when it was burning. The first time I noticed him I absolutely lost it. I thought he was burned, dead...everything went through my mind. I started yelling.. until he looked up and basically told me that I was interrupting his nap. He promptly went back to sleep. This behavior caught many people off guard. It never hurt him because he lived to be 22 years old. I think like people, all cats may have their own comfort zones.