Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how to wake me up at night?

Beetlecat
October 23rd, 2005, 11:17 AM
The last two nights, my dog has **** in the house during the night. He's housetrained, and it's a loose stool so he obviously couldn't hold it. I wouldn't be suprised if he caught my stomach bug.

My issue is can I train him to wake me up at night if he has to go?

Right now he will only let me know he wants out if I'm sitting down or standing in one spot because his method is to sit beside me and whine. Addittinal, he's not allowed on the bed, and he couldn't bark because that would wake the neighbours upstairs.

JJC
October 24th, 2005, 09:56 AM
I have my ten month old pup trained to ring a bell on the door she goes out to do her business. This was part of her potty training from the start. Every time your dog wants to go out take its paw and make him ring the bell before you open the door. Do this while saying ring the bell. After awhile they will associate the door opening with ringing the bell and will also respond to the command. Carefull though because it can also lead to an attention tactic. Sometimes Tosa will ring the bell just to get attention when I'm to busy to pay attention to her but if it's been awile since she was last out I know she means it.