Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can dogs throw up on purpose?

RileysMom
October 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
I have a 7 month old black lab. For the past two mornings, instead of just rustling around in his crate, he has thrown up....not a lot, just a little (the size of a quarter). The first time he did it, I jumped out of bed to check on him and make sure he was ok, then I let him out and we were up for the day, now he did it again this morning. I do not believe he is sick, he is very energetic and eating/acting normally. Is it possible that he learned that if he makes the sounds of throwing up, I will jump out of bed and it will be time to get up????

the gang
October 23rd, 2005, 11:26 AM
maby two long in between feedings try that good luck

Puppyluv
October 23rd, 2005, 12:00 PM
Often a dog with an empty stomach will vomit what looks like a yellowish foam. As implied above, this can be remedied by putting feedings closer together. How often are you feeding him, and at what times?

RileysMom
October 23rd, 2005, 01:24 PM
Thank you for your response. He eats twice a day(1 1/2 cups dry) usually 12 hrs apart (usually 5 am and 5 pm). He has done this since he was 8 wks old and has never had a problem....could he be changing?

julesuoft
October 23rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
Hi RileysMom,

I have a 10 month old lab and I started noticing the same thing when she hit around 8 1/2 months. Chloe's usual feedings are at 9am and 7pm, 1 1/2 cups each feeding. Even still, she would vomit yellowish foamy stuff in the morning.

What I've been doing lately is giving her the full 1 1/2 cup during her morning feedings but then, in the evening, I only give her about a cup of food. Around midnight, I give her the remaining 1/2 cup of food. I've been doing this for the past 2 weeks now and no vomitting! :)

Not sure why they do this - I've asked both our vet and the breeders but they can't give me a reason either. She's eating fine and her energy level is nothing short of her usual.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.... good luck!

Prin
October 23rd, 2005, 03:45 PM
Julesusoft, that's a great way to fix the problem. They don't need much, just a bit in their bellies so they don't wake up with a very empty stomach.

the gang
October 23rd, 2005, 08:08 PM
sounds silly but i feed my min pins 3 times a day only 1 cup per day but divide it hope this helps, nobody is hungry lol

Puppyluv
October 23rd, 2005, 08:32 PM
sounds silly but i feed my min pins 3 times a day only 1 cup per day but divide it hope this helps, nobody is hungry lol
That doesn't sound silly at all! A lot of small breeds do better on small meals, often. I feed my girl twice, with a snack in the middle and a snack at night (usually some combination of fruit and yogurt or some other protein). It keeps her energy levels constant throughout the day, and makes her "loads" a little easier to pass, and less pressing on her.

mistalina
October 23rd, 2005, 09:43 PM
That doesn't sound silly at all! A lot of small breeds do better on small meals, often. I feed my girl twice, with a snack in the middle and a snack at night (usually some combination of fruit and yogurt or some other protein). It keeps her energy levels constant throughout the day, and makes her "loads" a little easier to pass, and less pressing on her.

I recently joined this forum, mainly because my dog was ill and was looking for answers. I won't go into that now and get off topic so my question is, how much do I feed a 15 pound dog ? I tried her on several canned foods which she didn't like and also tried dry which she didn't like. She's about 4 years old , was given to us this past June by someone unable to keep her and was given thru a 2nd person. So didn't think to as her breed. She looks part shi zu(sp) and perhaps a bit of poodle or even schnauzer so what she's been getting is, treats in the morning and evening, and for dinner a container of "ceasar" which she loves, but it's approx 3 and 1/2 ozs, is this enough ?
:pawprint:

Puppyluv
October 23rd, 2005, 09:54 PM
Mistalina-The amount of food you feed her really depends on her activity level. I couldn't find any info on Cesar's suggested feeding volumes, but do the cans themselves say anything? In general, so long as your dog has a decent amount of energy, and is neither gaining nor losing weight, then the amount is fine. I alway base my feeding off of how Layla is doing weight wise, and how much exercise she gets. (Example. Layla weighs 35 lbs, and eats Wellness, which reccomends ~1.5 cups per day, but she gets about twice the exercise that a "normal" dog does, so to maintain her weight, she eats about 2-2.25 cups a day, which is what they reccomend for a dog about 20-30 lbs heavier than her)
If you think the amount of food she is getting is enough, you might still want to consider breaking that can into two meals. Feeding 1/2 the can in the morning, some treats mid-day, the second 1/2 can for dinner, then some treats at night. That's just an idea though, and by no means the only way to go.

MollysMommy
October 23rd, 2005, 10:46 PM
RileysMom, my puppy did the same thing. She'd wake me up in the morning throwing up yellowish foam. Now, I just feed her a couple treats before she goes to bed and right when I wake up in the morning. The problem has completely gone away. She's a finnicky eater and won't always eat right when she gets up, but she usually doesn't turn down a treat.

joeysmama
October 23rd, 2005, 11:40 PM
My dog will sometimes throw up a bit of foam, but it's usually when he's taken a big drink on an empty stomach. He doesn't have a problem with vomiting if he's eaten.

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 02:44 AM
I recently joined this forum, mainly because my dog was ill and was looking for answers. I won't go into that now and get off topic so my question is, how much do I feed a 15 pound dog ? I tried her on several canned foods which she didn't like and also tried dry which she didn't like. She's about 4 years old , was given to us this past June by someone unable to keep her and was given thru a 2nd person. So didn't think to as her breed. She looks part shi zu(sp) and perhaps a bit of poodle or even schnauzer so what she's been getting is, treats in the morning and evening, and for dinner a container of "ceasar" which she loves, but it's approx 3 and 1/2 ozs, is this enough ?
:pawprint:
You're better to start a new thread for this so that people don't stop answering RileysMom's question too...

How much you feed depends largely on the quality of food. If you feed a great food, you're likely to feed half or 2/3 of any grocery store food you can buy. Next is activity level, and the size of the doggy. You don't want a high energy little dog to eat her body weight every day- it's just not that fun for her to be that full all the time. They make little dog foods, like Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit, for really active doggies. It's more dense so they have to eat less.

One thing is sure, the treats should never make up more than 1/4 of the diet. If they do, consider giving less food at mealtime and give a bit as treats later on, instead of cookies.

Here's Just a wee bit, just so you get an idea of a good food (you can compare the ingredients with the Cesar food you have): http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=68&code=140