Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seizure I think!! Please Help

Angela
September 6th, 2003, 09:50 PM
I have a 3 yr old ****zu and she has just had a seizure I think. This happened 3 times last year in May over a span of two days and only lasted about 8 - 10 minutes but was very disturbing.

Today she had one about an hour ago and her body suddenly out of no where became distorted oddly and very stiff and she was shaking and convulsing uncotrollably, drewling and eyes glazed and odd looking. Very scary. Her body continued to stay stiff and arched in wierd positions and shaking for a good 8 minutes at least. It took her awhile for her to be able to walk fine again. Now she has been sleeping since then and is just wipped out.

Last year I had blood tests and other work done on her and the vet could not find anything. He did give me valum which I injected in her and I hope it helped. I will be bringing her into the vet again on monday but they don't seem to be much help. I am scared as I do leave her alone for a few hours at a time while I work Monday to Friday. Any idea if this is a seizure for sure? She didn't have anything to eat within a couple hours before the incident.

Any insight would be soooo greatly appreciated as she is my little baby!

Thank you

Bueller's Mommy
September 8th, 2003, 11:26 AM
We found out in May this year that our 1 1/2 year old beagle has epilepsy. The way you described her attack was exactly how Bueller was when he had his first seizure. I'm not a vet, but I'd be willing to bet that it's exactly what that was.
We rushed him to the emergency vet straight away and they also gave him a shot of valium and they recognized it as a seizure right away. The only difference was that Bueller actually had 2 seizures, one right after the other.
I'm surprised that your vet did not give you any information on epilepsy or seizures. I don't know if this will help, but I can give you a bit of information.
My vet said that generally seizures last up to five minutes and that if they last longer than that, you should take him to the vet immediately. Also, if they have a 'cluster' which is more than one in a short time span, then they should be rushed to a vet as well. Epilepsy usually shows up in dogs at around 1 1/2 years of age and up. Another cause of the seizures may be that the dog ate something toxic. It could be anything around the house or plants outside that they've been into. It pays to do a little research on what types of vegetation are toxic to pets. I've found several around my yard that I never knew about.
I think the most important piece of advice that my vet gave me is to remain calm, and to comfort and protect my dog when he is having a fit. It is a very traumatic thing to watch your pet go through, but you have to do all you can to not make it worse for him and comfort him in any way possible. It's very important to make sure that he is in a safe place where he can't fall off of something or roll into something he could possibly knock over and fall on top of him. It's best when you're not home with him to have him in a crate so that if he does have an attack, there is nothing that can harm him.
Much like humans, dogs do not know what's going on around them during a seizure and it does not hurt him. It took me a long time to get over that. Everytime Bueller had a seizure I would cry because I thought it was hurting him, but like I said, the best thing is to remain calm and make sure that the attack does not cause him to harm himself. Afterwards they are in a disoriented 'drunk' state and it usually takes several minutes to 'snap out of it'. I suggest you talk to your vet about the possibility of epilepsy and what options there are for you and your dog. Please do some internet research. If you decide to medicate your dog, it's important that you research all you can first. There are a few sites that I've found pertaining to epilepsy in pets and you will probably find a few people to talk to as well to give you support. Good luck in your search for an answer. Bueller is my baby too and I would do anything to help him. I completely understand how you feel.

Angela
February 1st, 2004, 07:58 PM
I just wanted to follow up as I had been searching for the last couple years online and through various vets and I have seemed to identify what is causing siezures in my little ****zu.
after tracking her siezures and finally finding a great vet, It seems that because she is not spayed, when she goes into heat or near heat, her over active hormones may be the trigger for the siezures. Makes perfect sense as all of her attacks have been just before or during her heat. She is on medication now and will be getting fixed this spring. I was planning on mating her until she was diagnosed with epilepsy. I am just soooo relieved to have found out what is triggering it. I hope this could be of some help for those still searching for answers.

Thanks to everyone who sent me messages!