Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My 5yr old dog has allergies

HaleyBug
October 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
Hi I have a rescue shelter dog which I brought home when she was approx 6months old. She is spoiled rotten and means everything to me..Problem I am having is she is constantly rubbing her face on the carpet or scratching it with her paws. I brought her to two different vets which they said switch dog food which I did and change her bowl which I did and still nothing different. We then decided to have the allergy test done on her to see if that will figure it out and only thing came back is a slight increase to dust mites but vet says it was not that much that it would even really make a difference but they gave us shots to give her and told us to vaccum everyday which I have done and now been 5 months and still same.I brought her back to vet again and asked them to check her face maybe we missed something but still nothing....anyone have any similar thing ??? Any ideas?? We have been told it may be psychological however, right after she drinks water or gets excited it when it is at the worst...thanks for any help

gottahavepets
October 22nd, 2005, 09:29 PM
Did the vet tell you to switch to any particular foods, there are a lot of foods out there, both organic and commercial which are designed for dogs with allergies. In another thread I saw mention of Old Mother Hubbard, it is all natural. My dog eats Acana which is also available for cats, I don't know if they have a specific formula but I do know the food is naturally preserved with rosemary and vitamin e which is very good for skin conditions. Science diet has a food that is hypoallergenic if you prefer to go commercial. It is available at vet clinics it is called Z/D. My neighbors' dog liked it. If you tried regular vets, try a homeopathic vet or consult a book about natural healthcare for dogs. When I first got my kittens I made their food from scratch and that can be done for dogs as well. Their is also a homemade dog food available in frozen form, it is called Mountain Dog Foods, I have heard it is very good.

the gang
October 22nd, 2005, 09:30 PM
what kind of water bowl, plastic or???????

HaleyBug
October 22nd, 2005, 09:33 PM
gottahavepets...we switched to science diet allergy that you mentioned however, once we had the allergy test done it came back as no food allergies at all....
the gang...we were using plastic but we switched to metal..

thanks for responses....

Puppyluv
October 22nd, 2005, 09:59 PM
My dog is a big "carpet diver" (she'll just be standing there, and then just get the sudden urge to scratch her face on the crapet, so it looks like she's trying to dive into it, amusing, but at first, worrysome)
I have talked to 2 vets, and 2 trainers about it and my mom has mentioned it to another vet and trianer. She doesn't have allergies, and doesn't have dry skin. All of the people I talked to suspected it was behavioral, a habit she picked up when she was young (and likely itchy due to her poor health early on, before I got her).
Obviously I can't say it's deffinately the samr for your dog, but it sounds quite similar, and if it is, it's harmless.