Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Worm in puppy's poo

TracyG
October 21st, 2005, 10:40 PM
Hi there! My 17 week old golden had her last set of shots on Monday. I just noticed tonight, on our last trip outside, that for the first time, she had what appeared to be a worm in her poo. (yuck!) Anyway, I know that all dogs have worms etc...but what I want to know, as a first time dog owner, is this something I should be concerned about immediately or should I wait and see if this continues over the next couple of days? Otherwise, she's a perfectly healthy puppy. Eating tons and into everything!
Any help on this would be really appreciated!

Prin
October 21st, 2005, 11:08 PM
Definitely be concerned. Your doggy needs to be dewormed ASAP. Keep in mind that some of these worms can be transmitted to humans, too (especially children).

the gang
October 22nd, 2005, 12:46 AM
yup get him de wormed asap

TracyG
October 22nd, 2005, 07:25 AM
There was nothing in her poo this morning. Is it possible that it's a "one shot" deal? I am not even 100% convinced that it was a worm. If it was...would this be happening every time? She was dewormed at 6 and 8 weeks (or something like that) ....but might she still need it again?

Toonces
October 22nd, 2005, 07:53 AM
I would take a sample into the vet asap and have it checked.

Here is a link to a site that talks about the different types of worms.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

StaceyB
October 22nd, 2005, 07:59 AM
If there was one that came out there are many more inside. Check your records to see if your puppy had been dewormed at an earlier visit, he should have been. Take a fresh fecal sample in with you on monday to be tested to see what kinds of worms your puppy has so he can be treated for only what he has. There is not much you are going to do until monday unless there is a vet in your area open on the week end.

BMDLuver
October 22nd, 2005, 08:08 AM
Hi TracyG,
Usual worming regimen is 6 weeks old, 8 weeks old then once a month until 6 months of age. Worms cycle so this ensures you get all of them. As suggested a fecal sample will tell the vet exactly what worm your pup has. From your description I would hazard round worms. Either way, don't wait for another one to come out as you may not see one but it doesn't meant there are none.

TracyG
October 23rd, 2005, 05:11 PM
Turns out my vet is open both days during the weekend so I took a stool sample in this morning. Poor Indy does have a parasite. :sad: I don't know which one yet but will find out tomorrow when I pick up the medication. Is this something she will now be prone to for the rest of her life? I had waited until she had her shots before going for walks in the neighbourhood etc...but I guess she still managed to pick up something. Does this mean I now need to not walk in parks and places where other dogs are?? That would really suck! Anyone have any experience with this and let me know? Thanks!

april07
October 23rd, 2005, 05:35 PM
Indy shouldn't be proned to them again once the medication gets rid of whatever type it is. Vaccinations to not protect against parasites,they only help to protect against the diseases that they are vaccinated for. When you take Indy for walks I would be careful at what she sniffs. Try not to let Indy sniff feces as this is a good way to contract parasites and yucky stuff.

PetFriendly
October 23rd, 2005, 05:36 PM
You can't really avoid worms. It can be as simple as an infected cat using your flowerbed as a litter box. Indy would likely smell and sample what the cat leaves behind, and contract whatever worm the cat has (same goes for fleas, even squirrels can leave those behind in your yard for the puppy to pick up). Unless there are so many worms in the dog's belly that they are crowding themselves out, you may not notice anything recognizable in the poop.

Your best bet is to watch for symptoms, one of which is a puppy who eats like there's no tomorrow yet can't put on weight, or a distended belly. When in doubt, bring in a fecal sample or two for testing and ask your vet what to look for.

There are some heartworm meds that on top of heartworm also protect against fleas and various worms. Talk to the vet about it and see what they say. But for the development of your puppy, don't keep him away from other dogs, or new places :thumbs up

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 03:09 AM
There are some heartworm meds that on top of heartworm also protect against fleas and various worms. Talk to the vet about it and see what they say. But for the development of your puppy, don't keep him away from other dogs, or new places :thumbs up
I was gonna say... :o

Heartworm pills are given from May to October, depending on where you live (warm places require year round heartworm meds). In my opinion, that should cover most of the encounters with worms, as they're more likely to survive longer when it's warm outside.

Just don't let your doggy near other dogs' stools (or other animals' stools). That's the only way you can try to prevent it (even then you might not prevent them all).

I'm glad you went to the vet though. Yey! :)

TracyG
October 24th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all your help and advice. My vet had mentioned heartworm but decided it would not be needed until next year. I try my best to not let Indy get into anything (e.g. feces etc) but...she's a retriever and EVERYTHING goes into her mouth! Unfortunately, the area where I live is not well lit so it's not always easy to see what she's sniffing at. Before I owned a dog, I thought it was just gross to see animal poo lying around. Now it really ticks me off!! It's amazing how dog ownership can show you how dirty a city can be!! Especially when you have to put your hands in your dogs mouth to get out whatever has gone in there! Yuck!As for the "eating like there's no tomorrow"...she is eating more...but she's also only 4 months so she's in a huge growth spurt! It didn't seem like anything unusual to me!
Anyway, thanks for your help and hopefully Indy will be 100% in no time!

TracyG
October 27th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Indy just finished her medication for a roundworm (3 days of trying to get her to swallow this "foamy" stuff. Very entertaining!). We've been noticing that there are more worms in her stool now after the meds then before. Is this what's supposed to happen? Is it just that the meds are killing them and she's getting rid of them? Or is this something new to be concerned about??

PetFriendly
October 27th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Might very well be dead worms, since treatment has just finished, that's what I'd put my money on.

Call the vet and ask how long the 'dead worms removal' should last or if it should be occuring at all.

badger
October 27th, 2005, 01:45 PM
She's just getting 'cleaned out' of all those nasty worms. A cat I had was expelling them from both ends. And many of them were still alive. Believe me, your dog is feeling better already.
PS The cat was dosed again after 10 days, to get rid of the next generation and any stragglers.

TracyG
October 27th, 2005, 04:04 PM
They were dead so hopefully that's all it is. I am supposed to bring Indy back in 2 weeks to re-weigh and get a second dose. Thanks for your help! It's quite comforting!

zoey2
October 27th, 2005, 07:48 PM
my eb just had worms 2 wks ago. i kept finding tdry grains of rice in our bed and then one morning i saw worms in her poop. i called the vet right away and they gave me a one dose of 2 pills. we never saw the rice again,but i never saw any come out in her poop. i hope she got rid of them.