Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

please help !!!!

julie Lombardi
October 21st, 2005, 08:15 PM
I have a 4 1/2 yellow lab. He has had real bad allergy's this summer. We took Dozer ( my pets name) in for a visit to help with his allergy's and the ended up doing some blood work on him because his gums were pale. When the results came back they told us that he was SERVERLY anemic ! The doctor said that she was puzzled that he was still acting normal. They gave us predisone and told us to come back in a week to do more testing. A week went by and his blood work was the same. His RED blood cells we off the chart low again. She then told me that we should cont. to give him the predisone for a couple more weeks and come back again to see if the RED blood cells come up. In the mean time my dog is slowing down.... he is panting heavy, breathing heavy and just not the same. He just acts like he is tired all the time.. which I am sure because of his condition. The doctor also has suggusted that we do a blood marrow test....
Me and my husband are crushed and not sure which way to go ??? please help if you no anything about these things :love:

doggy lover
October 21st, 2005, 08:25 PM
If your dog is anemic he would be tired all the time, I'm surprised that if his blood is that low that your vet hasn't done more testing now. I hope your dog will be ok I might think of getting your vet to do testing now, I don't think that his blood would drop that low due to allergies. Maybe someone else here on the board could help you out some more, there are some very smart people here. Good luck

BMDLuver
October 21st, 2005, 09:14 PM
I'm sorry that your dog is not doing very well with the current treatment. I would advise to do the marrow test.. I would hazard a guess that the vet is looking for Leukemia in your dog or some other type of cancer. Knowing what you are dealing with and treating the exact illness in a timely fashion could definitely help your dog. This advice is just based on what I would do if it were my dog which I think is what you were asking?

Beaglemom
October 21st, 2005, 09:18 PM
His anemia could be the result of many different things. In order to treat it properly, you must determine what the underlying cause is. More tests need to be conducted, particularly the bone marrow test.

Here are a few links that will explain more indepth the causes and treatments for the anemia and the tests that are usually performed.
www.pethealthcare.net/html/body_anemia_in_the_dog.html
www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/anemia.html