Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new cat...Twiggy's freaking out

jiorji
October 21st, 2005, 07:13 PM
Today was my first SPCA experience. i HATED IT!!I went in to get my Twiggy a play mate, But i decided to go see the dogs too. I figured maybe "my dog" will be there.
I got barked at by all the dogs...except the german shepherds. :D Gosh they really are big! They look so much smaller when you see them from a moving heicle.lol
There was some real sad looking Schauzer doggy, all dirty and smelly. And the real skinny German shepherd 8month old i would've taken. Needless to say, i started bawling my eyes out. :( :sad: very sad.
But well I managed to pull myself together and I got a new kitty. Very vocal all the way back. She's now in my bedroom sniffing stuff and eating.
I bring my Twiggy in for a sec...wow the mouth on this one!! I didn't know kitterns growled! no no...it was growling...sounded like it was coming out of her stomach....AND she hissed.
The new cat however, doesn't seem to care. She managed to find Twiggy's catnip pillow. OH MY! You're never seen a happy cat til you've seen this one! lol

so ok...how do i get my kitten to stop growling?!?!

BMDLuver
October 21st, 2005, 08:21 PM
This is not on topic but you are sure that this little one you brought home is healthy and safe to interact with your own cat? I'm not trying to offend it's just lately I have seen Rhino, Panleukopenia and other illnesses in shelters that risk your at home cats. I'm definitely not a cat expert it's just a question really as to is this safe to allow them to be together right away? Should there be a two week quarantine of a cat coming out of a shelter? Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.

Congratulations on your new addition!

Lucky Rescue
October 21st, 2005, 08:57 PM
Everything that BMDLuver said - ditto.

I bring my Twiggy in for a sec

Big no-no. Never force an introduction between cats in any way. No cat is going to welcome a stranger who appears in the home. Your cat should not even see the new kitty. Leave the new cat in the room, go and visit and play with her. When you know she's healthy, swap kitty beds so they can both get a good sniff.

Twiggy is a kitten, correct? If you let them take it slowly, it should be just fine and they'll be playing together before you know it. Mess up introductions and you can have a lifetime of problems. I know, because I did it once.:(

jiorji
October 21st, 2005, 09:39 PM
so far so good...

and new kitty's healthy

Prin
October 21st, 2005, 09:41 PM
Wait and see... There is an incubation period for a lot of the pathogens they get in the SPCA.

kayla
October 21st, 2005, 09:47 PM
I volunteer at the SPCA infirmary and have seen many adopted cats and kittens come back for treatment for rhino etc. This is why the SPCA has a 30 day health guarantee, because many illnesses can take some time to show up. I don't want to worry you though, chances are it is fine and if your present kitty is vaccinated there should be minimal risk, but just keep an eye open for any symptoms. Good luck!

CyberKitten
October 22nd, 2005, 01:52 PM
Ditto to all the other advice. Bring the new kitten to a vet. Give her her own place until she is medically OK to meet the resident cat and then exchange pillows and other things so the two adjust to each other's smell. You can also use the vanilla trick - dab a little bit under their chins so the smell is neutralized. It takes time and patience but it can be done!

Congrats on the new kitten and good luck!!

jiorji
October 22nd, 2005, 02:19 PM
....kinda hard to sepparate two cats in a small appartment.
Had to put up with a lot of meowing last night.
One's crying cos she wants to be near cat, the other's crying cos i'm not near her.

I guess i've gone too far to do anything different now. I wish they'd just fight and then call a truce and get over it! Oh and of course, they both have a favorite chill out spot and it happens to be the SAME place. :o

how long before they usually "get along"?(there's no attacking though, so at least that's a bonus)

CyberKitten
October 22nd, 2005, 08:13 PM
Gosh, I am not sure - since you are doing the intros in this way - that I can answer that. To avoid probs in the future, you really should find a space for the little one -even if it is a walk in closet. Your bathroom? That's often a fav spot for these intros. Usually - if all goes well and the intro is done slowly and carefully, it takes about 2 weeks - month for them to accept each other's presence. Some become friends - some never like each other and just accept that the other is a member of the "colony". Did you try the vanilla trick? Or rub a towel on each of them so they each have some scent of the other? That might help.

I have a friend who allowed her cat to "discover" the newcomer. She became the new little one's guardian and they all lived happily ever after. Forced intros are the worst. They need to gradually discover each other - not to be placed in the same area by someone else. Cats like to have control over what they do (don't we all, lol) and if they find one another, they can work out the terms.

2Cats&AGolden
October 24th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I guess i've gone too far to do anything different now. how long before they usually "get along"?(there's no attacking though, so at least that's a bonus)
I've had 3 cats and both new introductions were done the same way yours was (because I knew no other way!). We also lived in an apartment back then. The first intro (two female DSHs - the newbie was a kitten, the oldie about 2 yrs old) went extremely well after a few growls, the second took much longer. The first pair became very close (cleaning each other, sleeping together, etc.) When the elder cat died and we got a new kitten for the remaining cat, this intro was MUCH harder. It was strange, because the remaining cat had lived with another cat her WHOLE life! But she was VERY resentful that a new being had invaded her space (another female). While they ended up tolerating each other after a few days, they didn't become friendly for 6 months to a year. The older cat refused even to sleep in the same room as the rest of "us" for a few months, nor would she play in front of the kitten, or show any affection. We just played with them in separate rooms and kept our fingers crossed, and sure enough it all worked out in time. Fast forward to the present and the two are best pals that love to play fight.

Good luck - despite the fact that you introduced your two kitties "wrong" ;) I'm sure things will work out just fine!!

jiorji
October 24th, 2005, 11:16 PM
well truth is...you just NEVER know!
they're animals, you can't tell what they think.

My situation could be going a LOT worse. They're not fighting. They're actually sniffing noses now, so I think that's progress. :)

CyberKitten
October 25th, 2005, 12:57 AM
It does sound OK. You never know, sometimes despite our best efforts to screw things up (not saying you did, I am admittedly quite good at that tho), animals manage to figure it all out, lol I hope it does work out and they become best buddies! :)