Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trick or Treaters- How old is "too old"?

Shamrock
October 21st, 2005, 01:07 PM
How do you feel about teenage trick or treaters on Halloween night?

Do you think that 12-13 should be the "cap" for kids going door to door collecting candy, or are you fine with kids of any age?

What about the older kids who dont have a costume on?

This seems to be a "newer" tend, older kids coming door to door.
I know my children stopped trick or treating once in junior high-about 13.

In recent years, I've seen kids at my door who look old enough to drive, and are taller than me ;)

I personallly dont mind, though the concept of this is really geared more towards toddlers and chidren of primary school age.
I 'm there to give out treats, and all who come to my door on Halloween night will receive these. I would never "call" kids on their age, or their lack of a costume. They just want some candy- ok by me. Also, kids are bigger these days.. more mature looking... so who's to say how old they really are?

However, I admit I am a bit irked by small groups of teens who've made no attempt to dress up and dont say a word ... just hold out a bag and leave without saying thank-you.
It strikes me that these kids want to "appear" indifferent.. but politeness in never "uncool".
After all...they rang "my" doorbell. And - I bought this stuff. :)

raingirl
October 21st, 2005, 01:16 PM
I would say 13ish, but then again, I was still trick/treating until 17ish. We did something different though. We actually dressed up and would put on "skits" for people. I had some crazy friends. One lady thought we were so hilarious, that she dragged us all (about 15 of us) into her house so we could do the skit for her elderly mother in their living room!

Luvmypit
October 21st, 2005, 01:19 PM
I trick or treated till I was 15. Ya thats right 15! And that last year I just wore normal clothes and a mask. I have a problem if they have no manners and don't say anything and just hold out their bag. I am always careful b/c you can get an egged house if you get to snide. I was always polite and yes I got the looks but hey halloween is for all.

I guess what I will do is if one kid (older) doesn't want to be polite then i will only give to those that are even if its all his friends except him/her.

I think though the age to stop should be 14. But i cant see myself starting to take ID at the door.

StaceyB
October 21st, 2005, 02:01 PM
I think that once kids get to high school so 13 yrs, trick or treating days are done. Leave the treats for the younger kids.

lezzpezz
October 21st, 2005, 02:15 PM
I will give treats to all kids, event the older ones as long as they have a costume on. I figure it's a night out for them and if they've made the effort to try to make some sort of costume, it's still okay. Besides, I don't think that there are that many nights where kids can go out after dark and goof off (in a healthy way!), so it is still fun for the older kids and they deserve a treat...it's a tough age to be!

Don't forget to have change handy by your door for those kids that make a special effort to collect for charities, like UNICEF, especially in these terrible times that our planet and it's population are suffering through....every little bit helps! :thumbs up

Rick C
October 21st, 2005, 02:16 PM
I would just be happy to get one (1) tricker treater at my door as an excuse to go out and buy lots of candy . . . . . the neighbour kids got to old in the last few years and now, here in our country hideaway, there is zero.

But . . . . since you asked, 12 is probably the limit. I don't think teenagers should be on the gravy train. But, since I'm desperate, I'd probably take an 80 year-old tricker treater right now.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

kimbilly
October 21st, 2005, 02:26 PM
Rick, you are more than welcome to come hang out with us... we get between 150 and 200...... Halloween Candy has become a budgeted item :)

Shamrock
October 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM
Wow, Kimbilly - that's a whole lot of kids..and a whole of candy!

I generally buy around 100... but as with Rick's case, less and less kids are coming... I find I am giving it out in big handfuls... just to get rid of it.

Last year, I tried to take an unopened bag back.. but the store refused, even though I had the bill..saying it was a "seasonal" item.
Really annoyed me.... I was forced to eat it ;)

jjgeonerd
October 21st, 2005, 02:41 PM
10-12 max IMO. I HATE older trick or treaters. The only reason I deal with any of it at all is because the really young kids are super cute. The older kids also sometimes have attitudes which upsets me.

mafiaprincess
October 21st, 2005, 02:58 PM
I don't remember when I stopped trick or treating, since I dressed up and took my little sis while I was in my later years of high school. People would give me candy even though I wasn't taking a bag anymore.. One year a neighbour gave me a grocery bag and told me to go have fun already... lol

Shamrock
October 21st, 2005, 03:36 PM
mafiaprincess... If older kids..teens are accompanying younger children... by all means they should be give candy - costume or not.

One example of too old without a doubt:

One Halloween I had my light on a bit later, after 9pm, for the stragglers - still had candy left.
After a long quiet period, the doorbell rang and I answered to two teenaged boys about 15, dressed in street clothes.
Neither spoke a word, just stood there,... so attempting to make a little joke.. I said " "Are you guys here for a trick or a treat?"

The one kid grinned "pretended" to look me over, and said slyly...
"well...dont know... maybe the "trick".

I was so flustered, I couldnt even think of a response to his unbelievably cheeky remark.

Though that was many years ago, he won my personal award for the most offensive trick or treater ever. :evil:

Roxy's_MA
October 21st, 2005, 03:49 PM
If the older kids do go out, I think they should do it early. It is annoying when they show up an hour after you stopped handing out candy.

The last year I went trick or treating was when I was 15. Peopole always made us older kids perform a song or something for the candy. As I was walking home an even older kid stole my candy. That was the last year that I ever went. Now that I am older I go to a halloween party every year so I can still dress up. This year I am being a Skeleton bride.

Rick C
October 21st, 2005, 04:00 PM
After all that, I just remembered I'm going to be in Atlanta for Halloween this year. . . . . guess I better think of what costume I'm going to wear when I go trick or treating down there.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
October 21st, 2005, 04:06 PM
As long as they dress up, they can be 18 for all I care. I was at least 16 before I stopped, but I always made an effort. Nobody ever guessed my bro and I were older than we were.

It's hard- sure, saying "I don't want to give 16 year olds candy" is nice on paper, but then you get cases like my cousin who was 6'2" at 14 (he was HUGE) and he didn't get to go out because of his height, whereas tiny me could probably still head out today and nobody would be the wiser. That's why for me, it's in the effort. ;)

Schwinn
October 21st, 2005, 04:15 PM
We'll usually give candy to anyone wearing a costume.

Now that Gracie is here, I think I'll have to start dressing up again, though Cheryl said that I can't go out until she's at least old enough to hold the bag. I've always wanted to get in good enough shape to wear a spandex Spiderman suit, so that's good. It gives me another year to get into shape. Right now, I've still got a little pudge, and I'm afraid I'd look more like "middle-age Spidey"!

Prin
October 21st, 2005, 04:25 PM
More like "real life spidey"! They always make him look thinner in movies. The real spidey must get so mad.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 21st, 2005, 09:49 PM
I give Candy out to everyone by the time the bigger kids get to our house, we are usually out of Candy!

We have the neighbourhood were everyone drops off their kids to trick or treat. Its also my sons birthday so one crazy day for us!

Prin
October 21st, 2005, 09:54 PM
That's a freaking weird costume!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 21st, 2005, 09:57 PM
Its The Thing Prin, Don't you know the Fantastic 4! :D

Prin
October 21st, 2005, 10:03 PM
No... I'm not that hip... :o I like comic strips, not comic books and/or the movies that are made of them...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 21st, 2005, 10:10 PM
Thats okay I'm not either my kids test me on all the superheroes. I am really learning a lot from my kids when it comes to super heros and villians.

love my dogs
October 21st, 2005, 10:25 PM
Last year my 13 year old son and all his friends got ready at our house.

It was a big deal for me and the other parents that these kids wear the cosumes that us parents had so lovingly put together for them.

They left the house wearing costumes, and returned with the costumes in the bags. Apparently costumes do not help to pick up chicks, which has become increasingly more important than collecting candy.

This year he will not go out. Last year some folks refused to give him candy because he was not wearing a costume.

I'm all for the costume being a requirement when trick or treating!

Bearsmom
October 22nd, 2005, 06:25 AM
Really annoyed me.... I was forced to eat it ;)

BWAHAHAHAAAAA!!! I find that since this will be Robbie's first year trick or treating, I'll be forced to eat his candy since I don't want him taking in too much sugar. Yeah, that's my reason....yeah.

BMDLuver
October 22nd, 2005, 07:16 AM
lol Bearsmom.. that was my theory last year. This year I may lose a finger trying to help myself! ;)

I think it's ok if the kids have costumes on although I admit, if a kid is standing in front of me costume or not, I'm not going to say "sorry no costume, no candy".

Prin
October 22nd, 2005, 12:07 PM
No, you just have to say, "Where's your unicef box? All I'm giving this year is money for charity." :evil:

doggy lover
October 22nd, 2005, 07:03 PM
I think once they are in high school that is enough, I love seeing the little kids all dressed up.

CyberKitten
October 22nd, 2005, 08:02 PM
To be honest I think Halloween is for little kids. BUT all children mature at different ages and most adolescents seem to have to go thru that rite of passage of carrying out some kind of Halloween prank. I think 12-14 should be the limit.

I have to admit I get a little freaked out if I am here by myself and I answer the door to big looking guys much bigger than me wearing a mask. And as much as I love kids, those teens with bad manners really irk me. I hav e never liked Halloween tho - even as a child, it is my least fav night of the year!!! So I will lock my door at 9 PM.

I always reserve special treats for friends, neighbours and relatives and I bring a lot of candy to the office and the hospital and we do trick or treating there which is fun. This year, I am going to a Halloween house party for a few hrs so I won't be answering the door at 9 PM.

melanie
October 23rd, 2005, 04:39 PM
oh that sucks, i so live in the wrong place, i wish we had something like this, oh i jsut want lollies (you call it candy) oh free lollies, a girl could be in heaven with that, free lollies, your teasing me.... :p

i think i might go buy lollies anyway, and jsut eat them and pretend some stranger gave them to me, speaking of which how do you teach your children not to take lollies from strangers other than halloween night? jsut curious, i was raised being told never ever accept lollies form strangers, how do you get about that issue??

have fun you lucky ducks (can't you see me knocking on my own door so hubby has to open it and give me lollies, oh what a looser :D )

MollysMommy
October 23rd, 2005, 09:41 PM
I trick or treated up until I was a senior in high school. And that wasn't very long ago. But we went all out with our costumes, makeup and everything. None of our parents would have let us go if we weren't wearing costumes. I think that it's alright for teens to go trick or treating as long as they have Halloween spirit. And I have to say, that I am always insulted when people don't say thank you for candy. And it's not just the teens. A lot of older elementary kids can be very rude.

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Mel, I'll send you lollies! Good Canadian Mapley lollies! :) (i.e. pity lollies... :D :evil: )

melanie
October 24th, 2005, 04:43 PM
prin your a doll, truly lollies is what this lady needs, yes the sugar... whenever i think of sugar i see homer simpson 'first you get the sugar, then you get the woman' poor hubby thinks im just stupid :D :D

right off to get a huge bag of lollies to make up for my disapointment :D :angel:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 24th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Mel=i think i might go buy lollies anyway, and jsut eat them and pretend some stranger gave them to me, speaking of which how do you teach your children not to take lollies from strangers other than halloween night? jsut curious, i was raised being told never ever accept lollies form strangers, how do you get about that issue??

Its not really an issue as it is only once a year. If you knocked on someones door any other time of year and asked for Candy they would think you were nuts. :D

Even though we only trick or treat in our own neighbourhood we always check the candy and throw away anything that seems suspicous.