Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog got sprayed - smells like garlic

evanb
October 20th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Hello all,

I have a Wire Haired Fox Terrier. We let him out tonight to go to the washroom and when he came back in he seemed to have been sprayed by something.

He had a bit of trouble with his eyes. He was kind of squinting a bit and he smelt like garlic. He seemed almost sedated at first....I guess the poor guy was stunned. He's quite frisky now but he absolutely reeks of that strange garlic smell and his eyes are quite bloodshot

At first we thought it was a Skunk, but the smell has much different characteristics. It has a very pungent garlicy smell to it. My Dad suggested that he may have been sprayed by a Mink or a Weasel.

Has anyone had any experience with this before?
Is it bad that he got sprayed in the eyes by whatever it was, could that do any damage to his eyes?
Any ideas on how to get the smell off of him?

Sorry for all these questions. We've had several dogs all of which have never even encountered a Skunk before let alone whatever this was.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers!

Evan

Prin
October 20th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Have you been to the vet? I'd go. Whatever did this may have put your furry's eyesight in danger. Better safe than sorry.

jawert1
October 21st, 2005, 09:07 AM
Skunk up close smells VASTLY different than "dead on the side of the road" skunk, almost like nothing you can really put a finger on, so I'd hazard a guess and say your pup got hit directly by one. Head to the vet immediately for his eyes, if he got a direct spray to the face, then he requires vet attention asap. Also, a good remedy for skunk desmelling was posted to another thread, see below link:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19728

Good luck and keep us posted on his recovery :)

evanb
October 21st, 2005, 11:00 AM
Well, we talked to the vet today and she said it was definately a skunk.

His eyes are fine and he's quite frisky today, back to his usual trouble making Terrier self ;)

The odd thing is, he doesn't smell like skunk at all. We bathed him and if you go up and smell him there are only certain areas (I guess areas we missed) that smell garlicy / oniony. But it does smell "skunky" in my house.

Ahwell, I'm just glad he's ok :)

Thanks all!

jawert1
October 21st, 2005, 11:12 AM
Rock on :) I'm glad to hear he's back to his normal self and all is well :) :)