Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Joey finds treats in Garbage

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 20th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Whats the best way to keep a dog out of the garbage, or is it possible?
I don't mean garbage that is just left in the kitchen all day for him to get too. I mean garbage in a pail under the sink in a sealed container. That when I open he sneaks up behind real quick and grabs the jelly donut sitting on the top

Of course I always ask for advice after the fact don't I ?

So heres what I did.
After removing the garbage, removing as much of the jelly donut from Joeys mouth as I possibly could and cleaning out the pail.
I got one of Joeys treats and put it inside the pail. Then I put the leash on Joey. When Joey tried to go for the cookie in the pail. I said "leave it" in my firmest I mean business voice, and stomped between Joey and the pail When Joey looked at me I said "good boy" in my best you are such a good boy voice and called him over and gave him a treat out of my hand. That was repeated a few times.
Then I left the empty garbage pail with the treat still in it and the door open so the open pail was sitting there. When Joey tried to go for it I again said "leave it" and praised him when he decided to come to me instead. I repeated this a few times when Joey went towards the pail I said leave it. When he came to me I praised him. I repeated this until he was more interested in me than the garbage pail.
I am supposing I will need to repeat this again when some other yummy treat shows up there for him.

How does everyone else stop there doggie from the garbage buffet? :yuck:

just an end note in case anyones thinking it leaving the garbage outside isnt an option as then we get mice. :yuck:

Also do I need to be concerned about the donut. I know it wasnt good for him but it didnt contain chocolate I think he maybe got a bite out of it at the most. It had some rasberry filling in it. So he may have gotten a bit of that.

Prin
October 20th, 2005, 10:42 PM
My friend's mom used to wedge a wooden spoon in the handles of the cupboard doors... We used to put the kitchen garbage on top of the dryer... But what you're doing is great. Before assuming he doesn't get it, I'd secretly test him once in a while. Maybe a sharp "No" will be enough now.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 20th, 2005, 10:48 PM
We can't do the wooden spoon thing as my cubboards do not have handles on them. Joey is food driven so he will definatley need some testing I am sure. Maybe the old owners fed him more people food than I am feeding him. He is okay as long as the door is shut its just when I open it and go and throw something in the garbage hes right there in 000098ths of a second. :D

Prin
October 20th, 2005, 10:50 PM
What if you get a garbage with a lid? That way he couldn't be as sneaky...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 21st, 2005, 07:34 AM
Our new one does have a self locking lid. Its when I open it he comes up it gets it. Maybe I need the one with a dome lid.
Perhaps another outing to Walmart is in store for me.
..but hopefully I have rectified the problem and it won't happen again. :D