Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A side effect of being neuter?

LittleLoves
October 20th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Hey folks,

Oscar was neutered today. He's still dopey and unsteady from the meds, but he's also having diarrhea and I can't really get him interested in water.

I'm waiting on the emerg vet to call me back, but want some reasurrance...is this common? :confused:

Thanks! I'll post an update once I speak with the vet.

CyberKitten
October 20th, 2005, 09:23 PM
I can't say I have ever heard of diarrhea as being common postop for either spaying or neutering. Perhaps it is a side effect of whatever antibiotic your vet has given him? Certain antibiotics can sometimes cause this side effect. However, I would contact your vet and seek his or her advice. It could be stress from the vet visit or a reaction to a medication but that's pure speculation and the best advice I can give you is to talk to your vet!!

april07
October 20th, 2005, 09:36 PM
did you give him lots of food at once? they usually have nothing to eat or drink after midnight before their surgery and if you give heaping amounts rather then many small portions this can cause diarrhea.

april07
October 20th, 2005, 09:37 PM
i forgot to add...i would still contact your vet an dlet them know

LittleLoves
October 20th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks for your advice Cyber.

The emerg vet just called me back and said that if I had pepto bismal or kaopectate (sp) I could give that to him. I don't, and I'm alone with my daughter tonight. My husband left tonight for a business meeting in another city....of course this happens now. :rolleyes:

The vet said that I need to keep him comfortable and warm through the night, and that he has to have water available at all times. If he isn't back to his normal self by morning he needs to get into the vet. I'm already trying to make arrangements for someone to cover me so I can do that in the morning.

I just feel terrible! :sad: In the weeks leading up to this operation, I was so afraid something would happen to him, and now I feel like it has. He had to have two incisions because of an undescended testicle, and he is soooo swollen. He's cried tonight off and on and now I'm wondering if the vet should have given me pain meds for him. :confused: As a matter of fact, that's something the emerg vet asked me. He asked if I was sent home with any pain relief.

Sorry, I'm just upset and there isn't anyone here to vent/freak out to.

LittleLoves
October 20th, 2005, 09:48 PM
April,

No, I followed my vet's advice to the letter. Oscar ate perhaps 4 or 5 bites of his kibble. His mouth is sore because during surgery they extracted a baby tooth that refused to fall out...so eating wasn't the issue.

Thanks for trying to help!

I think I'm just going to have to stay up with him through the night.

Prin
October 20th, 2005, 11:34 PM
It's quite traumatizing- being in a strange place, hearing cats and dogs crying, not knowing what's happening, and then they wake up, still in the same place, not knowing what happened of if they will ever see you again.... To me, a bit of diarrhea while they're still sedated isn't horrible, but then again, I have never been able to bring my doggies home the day of.... They always stay an extra night.

I would trust your vet on this one. He seems like he's doing a good job. :)

LittleLoves
October 21st, 2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks Prin!

Well, we made it through the night, but it was so sad. Oscar was crated beside my bed, and I put a bowl of water in there with him. He cried ALL night! Talk about dark circles under your eyes! :rolleyes: I'm in worse shape than he is this morning. LOL

He stopped crying somewhere around 5:30am, and when I got up for good at 7 he bounded out of his crate and leapt into my arms like nothing happened. I got a nice face washing and he's now back to himself.

Thanks for the replies last night folks. I don't feel like I was upset over nothing, but it certainly didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would! :o Last time we had health problems with Oscar was when he had his Lepto vax and he had a bad reaction to it. I guess perhaps I'm hyper vigilant about his health. ;)

mistalina
October 23rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Awwwww I love happy endings , brings a lump to my throat , good luck with him ;)

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the replies last night folks. I don't feel like I was upset over nothing, but it certainly didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would! :o Last time we had health problems with Oscar was when he had his Lepto vax and he had a bad reaction to it. I guess perhaps I'm hyper vigilant about his health. ;)
Better overreact than underreact.. JMO. I'm glad he's all better. :)

doggirl
October 24th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Aaaaaaaaah you didn't say originally that he was cryptorchid. :) This is really not a routine neuter, can involve lots of pain on recovery, and they are up there in the cavity with the large intestines. Glad to hear he's coming along, poor guy!