Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Cat has infection after spay.

pookiepura
October 20th, 2005, 10:17 AM
My 2 year old cat was spayed four weeks ago. When I took her to have the stitches removed she had developed an infection with a foul odor and discharge. She was given an antibiotic for 8 days that was administered twice daily. After that time she was taken back to the vet. She no longer has the odor but she still has discharge from the wound. The vet gave her another round of antibiotics to take once a day for ten days. The vet is telling us that if she is not better in that amount of time that she will need to be operated on again in order to clean the wound and use a different type of suture. Is this the typical course of treatment? I really do not want her to have to go through surgery again, as she had a very difficult time last time where the vet had to get her a vitamin B shot and and IV to stimulate her appetite and try to keep her from being so lethargic for days afterwards. I'm not sure that this is something that can wait 10 more days if she is dealing with an infection. Please help me in any way that you can with this question. Any help that you can give will be greatly appreciated.