Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

city wants 2 destroy my baby

misssie
October 20th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Hi everyone i'm new to this site and i'm looking for some type of pitbull advocates or some type of animal rights group/lawyer/advisor etc...

On Monday morning my pitbull sixteen and i got into some trouble. I was taking him out for his normal morning walk and we ran into a lady that lives in the building. She bent down to pet 16, 16 gave her a few kisses on her face all was well untill she stood up, 16 then jumped up on his hind legs still not touching the woman, and went to pull her sweater wanting to play (he just turned 2) releasing 1/2 a second later thats when i see blood. The woman is 80 something years old, her skin is soft and droopy.
Anyways to make a long story short, the city took him from me that same monrning and wants to destroy him. He's currently is in observasion for 10 days. THeres no way i'm going to let them just take him away from me. They can make an "example" with some other sucker that won't fight!

16 was leashed but did not have a muzzel on but from my understanding there was a grace period for the legislation untill oct 28/05.

I need advice. Pls if anyone can help me get my dog back contact me asap im in toronto canada. 416-899-0246

thank you
melissa

PetFriendly
October 20th, 2005, 09:44 AM
What you are going to need to do is establish, preferably in writing from the City, on what grounds they seized your dog. You'll need to address (i.e. muzzle, obedience to keep him from jumping up on people) the reasons they provide for the seizure.

Unfortunately, I think that any dog who draws blood, be it a pit or otherwise is subject to observation. Hopefully they’ll be able to tell that your dog is a nice one that just doesn’t have any manners. You will have to work on the manners though, having a 50 lb dog jump up on a little old lady is just not cool at all, and I’d have to say that if the lady were my gram, I’d be wanting some serious apologies and behavioral changes.

Given the present problems surounding banned dog ownership you're going to need to do some serious obedience training with this dog to make it a happy member of society.

babyrocky1
October 20th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Hi Missie, sorry for your situation, You stated that the city want t destroy your dog. I am assuming that the observation is for health reasons then. Have they actually said thats what they will do? There is a free service that allows you to talk to a lawyer for half an hour but I doubt if they would know much about the new law. Banned Aid is probably the best group to contact. Actually if you go to Pitbulliests site, there are links to other sites who have connections to lawers. Saving Lily would be good too. Its on this page, forum is called New Pit bull resource site. All of the Organizations there are run by volunteers so I don't know how fast someone could get back to you. If you have money for a lawer, the lawers that worked, successfully, on the Saving Lily situation are pro Pit-Bull. I think they are on both the Saving Lilly Site and the BAnned Aid site, possible the Advocates for the Underdog Site as well. All these groups are connected in some way. What general area of the city did this happen in? Can you tell us which AC you are dealing with? How bad was the injury? Ill try and think of anything I can but there are people here who seem to know more about the processes. Good luck Missie, please keep us up to date. When last I spoke with AC, which was recently because I was afraid some of my neighbours would make un-founded charges against my dog, they told me that the DID NOT have a protocal YET for "menacing behaviour" which is one of the parts of the bill that is very vague. Hopefully they still don't have that protocal in place!

Luvmypit
October 20th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Also how did the victim react? Was she angry or understanding? That is a big factor I would think b/c if she is understanding then she can vouch for the situation at hand. She can at least attest to the fact the dog didn't mean to and wasn't trying to attack just play.

misssie
October 20th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I totally agree, what my dog did was totally unacceptable if that was my grandmother i'd go crazy and do maximum damage to who ever was responsibale. No question! I was terriffied when it happened not so much for me or 16 (AT THE MOMENT) but for that poor old woman. To be honest her arm looked really bad, but i believe that the fact that she has really old saggy soft skin with hardly any meat on it added to the damadge i know thats no excusse but if this would have happened to me for example i would have gotten a mere brousing and not even a punkchure. It wasn't an attack, 16 did hold her arm she didn't have any teeth marks around her arm. 16 has never done anything like this before he's totally approchable he's even been pet by her before.
I think what happened was when he went for her sweater he actually grabbed her sagging skin and tore it then as she pull back her sweater she continued to tear her skin which i could say i did see (pulling back her sweater along with the soft skin)
I can feel my knees getting weak just thinking about it. It was one of the worst days of my life. She didn't give much of a reaction, she did not cry she was making jokes about 16 kissing her then biting her.
I'm so confussed in a way a feel bad for fighting for my sweet 16 but i can't just lethim go. If i do get himbackthe first thing i'm going is obedience classes the best i can find. I'm a bad owner i know, i'm so sorry guys, i'm part of the problem i should be put down not 16. I took him for advantage and now i'm going to loose him. I can't even go home i tryed to go home the following day (Tuesday) after work but i couldn't stay i ended up sleeping at a friends house and havn't been home since. I have nothing to go home for just an empty apartment. I'm sorry for blabbing on and on but i feel like you guys can understand where i'm coming from.

I've spoke to the city guys that came to my house and asked about the report that they write up i pick up a copy on Saturday. Is this what you mean?

Thanks alot for all the suggestions.

missie

misssie
October 20th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Do you guys think i have a chance? I've already been informed that if i loose not only will 16 be put down but i'm looking at charges as well up to $10,000 and max 6 months jail time. I'll do time, F*#!k paying thoes *******s!

Luvmypit
October 20th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Yes you may have made a mistake by not training him properly but please do not beat yourself up about it. Although you made a little error in judgement by the sounds of it you are responsible and mistakes happen.

If your willing to do all these things then I am sure that you have a chance.
If the lady was understanding I would ask that she write a letter describing the incident. You won't get jail time as it is definately not a case of intent to harm which is something that I would assume if it were would require jail time. I am sure you will be fined and restrictions placed on your dog but as for putting him down I am not sure. HAve you had contact with the people that took your dog? Can you call and ask them what the procedure would be and if euthanization is something they are considering?

misssie
October 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM
This happened in Toronto at Keele and Sheppard. 16's at a shealter on Sheppard (Keele and Shepperd) very close to my appartment. Actually that is the shealter where i adopted him from. Werid ahhh! Observasion is for health reasons they want to make sure he doesn't have rabbies i think they are observing his behaviour aswell.

misssie
October 20th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Well its funny cause when they first came to my house to take him for observasion they lead me to believe that all was well and i would get my dog back after the 10 day quarantine. Then after about 3 hrs they cameback and said "Oh I mada a mistake you basically have 2 options sign over the dog or go to court and get charged"

Yes you may have made a mistake by not training him properly but please do not beat yourself up about it. Although you made a little error in judgement by the sounds of it you are responsible and mistakes happen.

If your willing to do all these things then I am sure that you have a chance.
If the lady was understanding I would ask that she write a letter describing the incident. You won't get jail time as it is definately not a case of intent to harm which is something that I would assume if it were would require jail time. I am sure you will be fined and restrictions placed on your dog but as for putting him down I am not sure. HAve you had contact with the people that took your dog? Can you call and ask them what the procedure would be and if euthanization is something they are considering?

Schwinn
October 20th, 2005, 01:15 PM
You might be right about her skin. My mom has thin skin (in the literal sense) because of a transplant, and she was nipped by a friends dog. Apparently when it happened, it looked like she'd been stabbed and bled profusely. Had it been on of us, it probably wouldn't have even drawn blood.

Did 16 do this with his teeth, or his paws?? As far as I'm concerned, if it was his paws, he shouldn't even be quarantined. If the woman is understanding, I'd get a statement that it wasn't a bite, then I'd raise holy hell with everyone that he shouldn't even be quarantined, even if it meant going to court. I don't know where to get a copy of the by-law, but I'm sure that the quarantine is for bites only.

bluntman
October 20th, 2005, 01:27 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but under the new DOLA, the only option the courts have for any pit type dog that bites, accidental or otherwise is to have it PTS, that's it, there is NO other option under the new rules for pits, If your dog was a rottweiler, it would NOT have to be PTS. As far as a 10,000 doller fine and jail time, no that will not happen, that is for severe cases of irrisponsible dog owners, not a little nip. You do need a lawyer ASAP, If there is going to be any hope of saveing your dog. It would go a long way in your favor if the lady told invesigators that the nip/scrach appeard to be accidental, and not an unprovoked attack, as the media will report this as an attack tomorow if they get wind of it.

misssie
October 20th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Even though the law takes effect on October the 28th?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but under the new DOLA, the only option the courts have for any pit type dog that bites, accidental or otherwise is to have it PTS, that's it, there is NO other option under the new rules for pits, If your dog was a rottweiler, it would NOT have to be PTS. As far as a 10,000 doller fine and jail time, no that will not happen, that is for severe cases of irrisponsible dog owners, not a little nip. You do need a lawyer ASAP, If there is going to be any hope of saveing your dog. It would go a long way in your favor if the lady told invesigators that the nip/scrach appeard to be accidental, and not an unprovoked attack, as the media will report this as an attack tomorow if they get wind of it.

Roxy's_MA
October 20th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I would use the fact that he didn't bite as an argument. They can't put your dog down for biting if he didn't bite.

bluntman
October 20th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Even though the law takes effect on October the 28th?
Unfortunatly yes, the law took effect Aug 29, the grace period was for muzzle,spay/nuture only, the rest of the DOLA is in full effect now. So that means any convition under the DOLA for a pitty owner results in the dog being PTS, so you need a lawyer for this.

doggy lover
October 20th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Did he actually bite her, if scratched the old lady could have gotten a skin tear, which happen quite often in older people and yes it bleeds. I would get the lady to write a letter if she is on your side and take that with you. I wish you luck, keep us posted on what happens.

K9Friend
October 20th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Sorry to hear this Missie. Has 16 ever bitten anyone else in the past?

LL1
October 20th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Was 16 current on his rabies vaccine?

StaceyB
October 20th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Find a lawyer who is willing to go to court with you. They would have to put a stay on your dog from not being put down until it was resolved in court. The dogs who were in the news, the ones who were assessed by local trainers were determined to be friendly and had the option to be adopted. One of them was, I am not sure if the others were before their time was up.
It would be worth it for you to find out from the shelter everything you can. I am surprised that you didn't get anything in writing from AC.
Obviously the lady reported it as a bite otherwise they would not have come to your door. If you know the lady, I would speak to her to find out her take on what happened. You know your dog and what must have happened, it doesn't mean she reported it that way.
I had a couple students that were seniors and were just scratched by their dog. The skin on their arm turned purple and was cut open like tearing a piece of paper. One of the dogs was a toy poodle and the dog had jumped on him in the car and the other was a husky that had just begun training. The dog had no manners yet and would jump on his dad, which was 90. In both cases they didn't use their teeth but still left an awful injury.

mastifflover
October 20th, 2005, 03:25 PM
I am so sorry for you and I am not going to beat you up because you are doing a good job yourself. I had a dog a dog bite someone and he did damage 9 stitches and he was quarantinned at home with us. After the quarantine they were not going to do anything to the dog but he was not a vicious pit bull (kidding). But that just shows you how willy nilly they are about what they are going to do and I agree 16 needs training not to be pts by a government who do not know there a$$ from a hole in the wall. Try and get on pitbulliest site for some help. I wish you the best in your fight. :pawprint:

Copper'sMom
October 20th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Would it be possible for the elderly lady to step up and tell the "authorities" she has no ill regards towards the dog and the incident and wishes to see the dog back at home with you after the quaranteen is up?? ANd if she is willing to do this, maybe the media could get involved as well???? But yes, definitely contact a lawyer ASAP!

It doesn't look good that the "authorities" made an oops! mistake!

babyrocky1
October 20th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Do you guys think i have a chance? I've already been informed that if i loose not only will 16 be put down but i'm looking at charges as well up to $10,000 and max 6 months jail time. I'll do time, F*#!k paying thoes *******s!I remember hearing that if there was a chance one could recieve jail time on a charge that one could qualify for Legal Aid. Im sure you would not recieve jail time but the law does state it as a possibility, so maybe that could actually work in your favour. Im going to go look for the name of the lawyers that helped save Lily.

babyrocky1
October 20th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Here is the name and number of the law firm that "saved Lily". They are based in Ottawa but did come to Kitchener for that case. Green and Vespry Law Office (613)-560-6515. Lily was an alleged "pit Bull" who they eventually proved was not a pit bull.

rottndakota
October 20th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Hi,

Please email me personally and I will see what we can do to help you with this situation.

LeeAnn O'Reilly RN,PBMH
Pres.Dog Legislation Council of Canada
president@doglegislationcouncilcanada.org
www.doglegislationcouncilcanada.org

babyrocky1
October 20th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Hi,

Please email me personally and I will see what we can do to help you with this situation.

LeeAnn O'Reilly RN,PBMH
Pres.Dog Legislation Council of Canada
president@doglegislationcouncilcanada.org
www.doglegislationcouncilcanada.orgGlad to see your getting involved in this Lee Ann!!!!!! Thank you!!! Welcome Back :)

babyrocky1
October 20th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Missy, I think the first thing to do, other than contact the lady who called AC, who will hopefully be on side, is contact LeeAnn with the above Email Address. She is your best connection to all of the people and web sites we have told you about. Here is the Lawyer Referal Service phone # 1-900-565-4577. This is a service where you can talk to a lawyer for approximately seven dollars, charged to your phone bill. Here is the number for Legal Aid, 416-598-0200. I really think that you should talk to Lee Ann first though. BTW is Sixteens name a reference to what I think it is? Also just a thought, but if this particular AC is were you got Sixteen then wouldn't they already know that she has a good temperment?????? Hang in there, we are all here for you and your dog!

misssie
October 24th, 2005, 11:11 AM
He's NEVER done this befor

Sorry to hear this Missie. Has 16 ever bitten anyone else in the past?

BullLover
October 25th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Oh my God! This is sooo sad.

Knowing me, I'd probably go into the kennel kicking and screaming and steal my dog back and leave the city. Be in hiding for a while and then pop back up. This I know, will not help, but how stupid can the laws get. Please urge the woman to help you! If you need a shoulder to cry on, pm me. Damn government. If this dog was a Chiuaua, would there be such a problem.

Conners.......post about the time that Sadie touched your skin and you were bleeding.

P.S. I'll come steal your dog back.... :evil:

gottahavepets
October 25th, 2005, 08:32 PM
It is too bad this had to happen to you, I feel so sorry for what you're going thru. You obviously love 16 and are willing to make things right. Trust gov't officials to blow things all out of proportion and punish responsible owners along with irresponsible owners. I firmly believe there are NO bad dogs, I will not insult you by saying only bad owners because you ARE NOT A BAD OWNER. This is a case of a crazy law gone insane. I don't own a pit bull but I do think they are adorable, esp. the one that was in obedience with us. Again, YOU ARE NOT TO BLAME. I rally hope you win 16 back. Then move out of that crazy province, to somewhere less crazy like Alberta. Best of Luck :fingerscr

SnowDancer
October 26th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I hope that 16 can be saved. If you can get her back, suggest you purchase muzzle immediately and use it every time you take her out - this will certainly help prevent problem. You stated that the lady was understanding - but she did call animal control. There are 3 pit bulls not muzzled or leash wandering my neighbourhood and not responding to their owners' calls to Come or Stay -totally unacceptable - especially as they are approaching my dog who is always on leash. When pleading your case - I know you are young as I looked at your profile, I would absolutely not keep stressing the saggy skin - it will not help your case, more likely harm it.

misssie
October 28th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I've thought about the same thing, stealing him back I wonderif i could get away with it?!?! :cool: lol

Knowing me, I'd probably go into the kennel kicking and screaming and steal my dog back and leave the city. Be in hiding for a while and then pop back up. This I know, will not help, but how stupid can the laws get. Please urge the woman to help you! If you need a shoulder to cry on, pm me. Damn government. If this dog was a Chiuaua, would there be such a problem.

Conners.......post about the time that Sadie touched your skin and you were bleeding.

babyrocky1
October 28th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Missie, did you contact the people we spoke about? It may be that if you did, you may not want to comment on specfics but please let us know what you can about whats going on.

tybrax
November 1st, 2005, 06:17 PM
l wish you all the luck in the world, and pray you get sixteen back.

tybrax and tyra

Copper'sMom
November 2nd, 2005, 09:13 AM
Is there any news on what has happened?? :confused: The 10 day quaranteen is over! :(

I hope this matter was settled on a positive note! :fingerscr

BullLover
November 2nd, 2005, 09:25 AM
Yes.....what is the outcome? :pawprint:

Conners
November 6th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Because of my health, I just have to basically be touched and I will bleed. Sadie just put her paw on me and I bled like as though she had gouged me. I can't even scratch an itch without bleeding.
Perhaps the older woman has the same problem as I do, or it could just be from age.
I'd talk to the woman, as if she is a bleeder, she will understand.
People feel so bad when they see their dog has caused me to bleed, but the dog hasn't done a thing to me.
If you think it would help about testimony regarding skin conditions. I will write on on my condition, but FIRST go to the woman, talk to her!

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Well it's officall, they will put my boo boo to sleep.
My heart has been ripped from my chest.
I had court yesterday and they are taking my best friend away, my only friend. THoes people in scarbouorgh are going to loose their dog too. This law is rediculous, pit bull are dogs that have dog characteristics!
I'm tired of talking
I have nothing else to say.

Copper'sMom
November 16th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Oh Missie, I am soo very sorry!!!:grouphug: :grouphug: I'm speechless, in disbelief, angered, it's just not right! There are no other options - like shipping him out of province??

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks for everyones concern.
Pls love your dogs cause you'll NEVER know WHEN or WHAT's about to happen, and it just takes half a second, trust me.........

I never would have thouht this would happen to us.

badger
November 16th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Since they are keeping the dog for 10 days in case of rabies, doesn't that mean they might not automatically euthanize him?

The fact that the 'victim' complained to the police is a strong indication that she thinks it's a big deal, but I'd speak to her anyway. She may not realize how dire the consequences are and the police are probably taking every opportunity to show the public they are clamping down. I'm sure she doesn't want you in jail, but you could maybe exaggerate the possibility just a little. Maybe she thought you'd only get a warning.

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 12:13 PM
The city is not interested in my or 16's best interest...
There's no other options.
That's that..........

Oh Missie, I am soo very sorry!!!:grouphug: :grouphug: I'm speechless, in disbelief, angered, it's just not right! There are no other options - like shipping him out of province??

Copper'sMom
November 16th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Missie, I am so very sorry. My heart is breaking for you and I'm sitting here bawling. I'm f-ing scared. I couldn't deal with what you are going through. I am so very sorry.:grouphug:

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 12:15 PM
No she is aware of what would (did) happen, she's willing to testify agaist me. If i could do jail time and get 16 back i would do it in a blink, but it doesn't work that way.

Since they are keeping the dog for 10 days in case of rabies, doesn't that mean they might not automatically euthanize him?

The fact that the 'victim' complained to the police is a strong indication that she thinks it's a big deal, but I'd speak to her anyway. She may not realize how dire the consequences are and the police are probably taking every opportunity to show the public they are clamping down. I'm sure she doesn't want you in jail, but you could maybe exaggerate the possibility just a little. Maybe she thought you'd only get a warning.

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 12:19 PM
All i can think about is the cute things he would do all the things we did together, he was really my best friend, my heart is broken.
i couldn't sleep at all last nite i feel mentally dead, and empty inside.

Missie, I am so very sorry. My heart is breaking for you and I'm sitting here bawling. I'm f-ing scared. I couldn't deal with what you are going through. I am so very sorry.:grouphug:

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Nobody really seemed interested in helping me.

Missie, did you contact the people we spoke about? It may be that if you did, you may not want to comment on specfics but please let us know what you can about whats going on.

Schwinn
November 16th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I am so sorry, Missie. I wish I could say or do more...:sad:

badger
November 16th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Maybe you could offer to ship him out of the province, at your own expense. You'd lose the dog, but he would keep his life. You need a lawyer, no question, particularly when you're feeling so helpless.

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Thank you:sad:

I am so sorry, Missie. I wish I could say or do more...:sad:

Copper'sMom
November 16th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Even though this occured during the 60 day grace period, they can still make a conviction??? Did this come up in court?

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Where would i ship him??? To another shealter???

Maybe you could offer to ship him out of the province, at your own expense. You'd lose the dog, but he would keep his life. You need a lawyer, no question, particularly when you're feeling so helpless.

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Apparently, the law was in effect Aug 28 the grace period was for the puppies that were just born or waiting to be born giving them a chance for the neutering and spaying.

This law is so new that the city doesn't know what the **** their doing!!!!!!!

Even though this occured during the 60 day grace period, they can still make a conviction??? Did this come up in court?

Copper'sMom
November 16th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I don't understand, with this new law why they bother having fines and jail time, when all they are going to do is condemn the dog anyway?? I mean in your case Missie, I think a fine would have been more appropriate(no offence to you). How can they prove whether or not this was an accident????

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 12:50 PM
The fact is that 16 came into contact with a person and resulted in bodily harm and remember she was 86years old so the damage was great. Accident or not he still hurt her.......all the city had to prove was that the lady was hurt!
But if this was anyother type of dog, he would have a court order to be muzzled at all times in public thats all! He would be let free and i would have a minorr fine.

I don't understand, with this new law why they bother having fines and jail time, when all they are going to do is condemn the dog anyway?? I mean in your case Missie, I think a fine would have been more appropriate(no offence to you). How can they prove whether or not this was an accident????

Conners
November 16th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Missy, I'm crying buckets with you and can only imagine how devistated you are. :grouphug: Call DLCC. Call anyone who will listen. Maybe they can get her out of the province where you will still be sad, but she won't be PTS. At least you will know she will be alive and well. She'll miss you, but she have a good home and alive. My heart goes out to you!!! *hugs*

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Yes i've tried to reach DLCC but apparently they are busy:confused: I was counting on them. I didn't think it would be so difficult to get some help from someone, anyone!

QUOTE=Conners]Missy, I'm crying buckets with you and can only imagine how devistated you are. :grouphug: Call DLCC. Call anyone who will listen. Maybe they can get her out of the province where you will still be sad, but she won't be PTS. At least you will know she will be alive and well. She'll miss you, but she have a good home and alive. My heart goes out to you!!! *hugs*[/QUOTE]

Copper'sMom
November 16th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Missie, did you get my pm??

jesse's mommy
November 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Where would i ship him??? To another shealter???

Would you be able to ship him to the US?

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 02:51 PM
No i didn't.

Missie, did you get my pm??

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 02:52 PM
But where?????????????????
There's alot of states in the US that have pitbull laws aswell
Would you be able to ship him to the US?

misssie
November 16th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Thank You very much:(

l wish you all the luck in the world, and pray you get sixteen back.

tybrax and tyra

jesse's mommy
November 16th, 2005, 02:55 PM
If I wasn't in the process of moving, I would take the dog. But, I have a friend in IL who works with a Pit Bull rescue and just rescued her dog Spencer from there. There are Pit Bull rescues all over the country. Would you like me to try to find out about the rescue she works with and send the info over to you? Maybe you can explain the situation and see if they would accept a "transfer" (I don't know what else to call this). Let me know.

I wish I wasn't moving. I would take the dog in a heartbeat.

maddoxies
November 16th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I know a rescue in Montreal who has handled pitties. And I will be in Ontario this weekend

Let me know

:sorry:

I think CITY TV did the bit on the bull dog that was stolen, maybe try calling them. Publicity might turn opinion. Especially with so many of us willing to give 16 a new home
Crying for you and wracking my brains at the same time

:grouphug:

At the very, very worst, will they at least let you be with 16 at the end (if you can handle it)

Shamrock
November 16th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Missie, I am so very sorry to read of this awful decision regarding your dog.
My heart aches for you.:sad:

If there is no recourse left, I hope you are able to find a place to send him, so he may have a new start.

I am just... speechless .. at these laws.

Good luck to you!

mastifflover
November 16th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I am so sorry about your baby. I personally hope the evil prick Michael Bryant is hit by a fast moving truck. Then he backs up over him just to make sure there is not a breath left in his short useless body. Sorry but this is the way I feel about this short little man excuse me I a$$hole. He is not part of the human race, humans are supposed to be compassionate. If you still have your baby I would come over tonight and kidnap him if you would like. I am not kidding. I am dead serious.

chico2
November 16th, 2005, 04:06 PM
I just read all the posts from the start and the tears are now flowing freely,what a horribly sad situation:sad:
I believe the fact Missie is a young girl,maybe not having the resources to fight for 16, had a lot to do with it....poor 16 and poor Missie,I could not even imagine how I would feel would it be me and my dog.
My heart goes out to Missie and 16:love:

babyrocky1
November 16th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Missie, Im so sorry!!! Did you have to go to court yourself, we all assumed you were being helped cause we didn't hear back from you!!!Again Im so very sorry!

gottahavepets
November 16th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Missie I am soo sorry for you and 16, I wish there was a way to make this better. Politicians have no idea when they make these decisions how they're going to affect people. And obviously that lady wasn't understanding if she's willing to testify against you. People make me so mad sometimes. If I could I'd take 16, but then you'd be apart and I live so far. My heart really goes out to all the pittie owners over there who are going through all this *****, it really is a bull***** law! And when they're done with pitties what's next?

:grouphug:

To all of you and especially to Missie and 16!

babyrocky1
November 16th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Wouldnt Missy have the option of appealing the decision, Im so upset that no one was there for her and Sixteen. I spoke to Missy on the phone after the first day of posts, I told her that the DLCC said they would help her, which they did say they would.
Anyways is there anything anyone can think of that we can do now? Does anyone know what the processes are? There no way animal services will let the dog go to anyone else in or out of province, but maybe theres a chance for appeal????????? When I spoke to Missy it really did sound llike this was an accident, the muzzling section of the DOLA was not yet law, so she was not negligent. The dog was leashed at the time.

Roxy's_MA
November 16th, 2005, 05:38 PM
APPEAL APPEAL APPEAL

It just all seems so wrong to me. The dog didn't even bite, it only scratched. Fight with everthing resource you can possibly think of. I will be praying for you and 16. Please don't give up yet.

seeker
November 16th, 2005, 09:29 PM
The sad reality of what this has come to is felt by all of us that post here . Missie I am feeling so, so sad for you and your dog right now . I honestly do not know how I would react if I was in your situation .
The law is wrong and next month a challenge is being issued by Clayton Ruby , have you contacted him ? They are challenging the law but it is based on the "onus of proof" I do not know if there is anything he could do for you and I am not trying to give you false hope but I would consider it worth a try . Best wishes to you and 16 .
Randy

seeker
November 16th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Missie contact everyone involved in fighting this law . www.bannedaid.com , advocatesfortheunderdog.com even Clayton Ruby himself don't give up .The law is being challenged but not till May '06 so that won't help you now but a call to the lawyer heading the case might be do some good. Please make the calls.

misssie
November 17th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Unfortunatly I had court on Tuesday the 15th and now is the 17th, the courts decision was finall. I hate to think about it but maybe they put him down already.........................:( :confused:

If I wasn't in the process of moving, I would take the dog. But, I have a friend in IL who works with a Pit Bull rescue and just rescued her dog Spencer from there. There are Pit Bull rescues all over the country. Would you like me to try to find out about the rescue she works with and send the info over to you? Maybe you can explain the situation and see if they would accept a "transfer" (I don't know what else to call this). Let me know.

I wish I wasn't moving. I would take the dog in a heartbeat.

doggy lover
November 17th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Missie I'm very sorry to hear that your dog will be pts, my thoughts are with you. I wish I could help but I live in the same crappy provence.

misssie
November 17th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Thanx for everyones support, from the bottom of my heart.

This law is making it impossibal to fight agaist. The only way i could have fought agaist this is to prove that 16 wasn't a pit.
That would have been impossibale, the description that they provide to determine pit's, terrriers etc.. is very general it's something like muscular build short hair short nose. Like come on, even if they do a blood test they can't determine the exact breed even if he was 98% rotti and 2% terrier he wouldbe classified as a pit bull.

Luvmypit
November 17th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I am so so so so sorry.

The reality of this law is really kicking me in the butt. I knew what was coming but I just have this feeling of desperation. I dont even want people in my house just in case they plays with them and bites.

Dog scrathes human and hes put to death. He has to die b/c of it.

Missie, I dont know how your feeling but trust me when I say I am crushed. I almost didnt read this post anymore b/c I was afraid it would go somewhere I couldn't handle. :sorry:

Know that we all feel for you. My heart is just aching b/c I can easily put myslef in your position. I am just so scared of what could happen.

Again I am so sorry :(

misssie
November 17th, 2005, 09:27 AM
There must be something that we can do to change this law. Idon'twant to see anyone elsego threw this. It really hurts!
I wish thoes poor people in Scarbourogh all the luck in the world.
But this is what i mean like that pit chased after another dog, which is completly normal DOG (cause pits are dogs too!!) behaviour.Yes i understand that he was supposed to be wearing the muzzel at the time, it's just unfair!?! If 16 was a another type of dog then it wouldn't be so bad a fine would be set and thats that. When i was in the begining of my court appearences for 16 there was a lady there for her german Sheppard who had bite another dog, she said she would take responsibility for the other dogs medical bills and the judge said "ok, but don't let it happen again, or know what will happen!"
??????????? Is that fair?

babyrocky1
November 17th, 2005, 04:48 PM
There must be something that we can do to change this law. Idon'twant to see anyone elsego threw this. It really hurts!
But this is what i mean like that pit chased after another dog, which is completly normal DOG (cause pits are dogs too!!) behaviour.Yes i understand that he was supposed to be wearing the muzzel at the time, it's just unfair!?! If 16 was a another type of dog then it wouldn't be so bad a fine would be set and thats that. When i was in the begining of my court appearences for 16 there was a lady there for her german Sheppard who had bite another dog, she said she would take responsibility for the other dogs medical bills and the judge said "ok, but don't let it happen again, or know what will happen!"
??????????? Is that fair?Missie we are all trying everything we can, Please stay in contact with us, we are all really concerned for you and what your going through. Missie please remember that this is not your fault or the fault of Sixteens. It is the fault of a bad law and we all know who is resposible for that. This kind of accident could have happened to anyone. I am so sorry that you had to go through this and Im also REALLY upset that you didn't recieve the help that we thought you were getting, I honestly don't think that it would have made a difference given what the lower courts are probably instructed to do but we all would have felt better if there was someone there advocating for you and Sixteen. You two have made our resolve all the stronger and you both will be in our hearts with every step of this fight!:grouphug:

Conners
November 17th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Missie, I wrote about your situation in my blog and asked if any rescue party from out of the province could help to email me. That's IF they allow him to be transfered, but we are all with you on this. And as sad as that is, if 12 is allowed out, I suggsted perhaps they could send you letters and pictures as he grows. It's devistating both ways for you. My heart goes out to you! If we can give 12 that chance it's better than the alternative and hope for the better.:grouphug:

wdawson
November 18th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Missie,my heart goes out to you,so sorry for you and your dog. I'm sorry to hear you did not get any help from any of the groups fighting this law,kind of makes me think twice about giving money again.I'm sure these groups know of some lawyer who supports the cause and want's to make a name for himself who would have done this for little or no money.:confused:

take care missie

BullLover
November 18th, 2005, 11:21 PM
??????????? Is that fair?

FFS For F*** Sakes!!!!!! This is sooooooooo horrible. I am soooo sorry Missie! This is absolute bulls***. It's not like he went out of his way and bit this woman. Send her a thank you card, seriously. Tell her thanks for caring and thanks for touching the dog every day and now not giving a poop about him. Give me and everyone else here her address too and we can start harassing her. I mean, thanking her from the bottom of our hearts. That dog hater. Well, she's a bizzatch. I don't care if she's old and wrinkly. I'm so mad. And I'm so sorry about 16 Missie. If this was my baby who is about the same age, I'd be hurting someone really bad. Sorry folks I had to vent. I can't understand people and I just don't understand the mentallity of some people in this world.

Spurby
November 19th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Any ideas on how to prevent this type of incident from happening again? I have a very strong feeling there will be more incidents like this one, with more dogs dying if we can't figure out ways to better educate the public on how serious this all is.

For starters, hopefully, soon i will have printable handouts to give other bully owners more info on the breed, and responsible ownership. The DLCC has printable handouts on their site with info on the bill, might be a good idea to print them out and hand them out to all the dog owners you meet up with, as this bill affects all dog owners.

Any other ideas? It is too late for 16 and Copper, but not to late for so many out there.

Conners
November 19th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Misssie, please read my PM ASAP! It's URGENT!!!

Conners
November 19th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Missie,my heart goes out to you,so sorry for you and your dog. I'm sorry to hear you did not get any help from any of the groups fighting this law,kind of makes me think twice about giving money again.I'm sure these groups know of some lawyer who supports the cause and want's to make a name for himself who would have done this for little or no money.:confused:

take care missie
I understand everyones frustration, but there are people to help. They just have to keep a low profile as if the government catches on, our dogs are doomed.
If I could get hold of Missie, there may be a way to save 16, but I can't reach her and I've PM'd here.
I know I sound URGENT, but this is an urgent matter.
It will still be heartbreaking for Missie, but 16 could have a chance of life somewhere else. If ANYONE know's how to get hold of Missie, please have her contact me either thru no1conners@yahoo.ca or conners@sympatico.ca

tybrax
November 19th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Missie :sorry: , sending heaps of love from Australia.
l only wish l could be there for you, to help.

tybrax and tyra

Conners
November 19th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Missy, I've PM you and used your voice system. Please contact me ASAP.
Connie 519 659-9213 We might be able to help 16!

misssie
November 21st, 2005, 09:44 AM
I hate to admitt this but everytime i see tha woman in the parking lot of outside my window (we still live in the same building) I have a feeling of hate towards her. I understand that his was mostly my fault, but that stupid old fart has a history of petting peoples dogs and getting hurt. You'd think she would learn, she has no flippin idea how this situtation affected my life.

FFS For F*** Sakes!!!!!! This is sooooooooo horrible. I am soooo sorry Missie! This is absolute bulls***. It's not like he went out of his way and bit this woman. Send her a thank you card, seriously. Tell her thanks for caring and thanks for touching the dog every day and now not giving a poop about him. Give me and everyone else here her address too and we can start harassing her. I mean, thanking her from the bottom of our hearts. That dog hater. Well, she's a bizzatch. I don't care if she's old and wrinkly. I'm so mad. And I'm so sorry about 16 Missie. If this was my baby who is about the same age, I'd be hurting someone really bad. Sorry folks I had to vent. I can't understand people and I just don't understand the mentallity of some people in this world.

misssie
November 21st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Conners i got your message i will call u tonight, I only have access to internet during the week days. But like i said befor my court date was on the 15th now it's the 21st, the way that toronto animal guy would call me everyday asking if they can put 16 down now, he probably went straight to the shealter after court and did it right away. *******!

Missy, I've PM you and used your voice system. Please contact me ASAP.
Connie 519 659-9213 We might be able to help 16!

misssie
November 21st, 2005, 10:19 AM
I know we all know our dogs and trust them, but we have to be EXTRA carefull just because they are pits ( or look like pits).

Every other type of dog has at least 2 chance to attack or bite. But our pitty's don't have any chance of surviving if they harm anything else.
PLEASE TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTION 1 bad mistake and there's no turning back.

-Make sure your yard fences are sturdy- 2 keep your pits inside them and everyone else out (cause God knows that if someone happens to climb your fence and your dog bites it will be on your ass)
-Make sure you muzzel them cause if anything happens and they weren't muzzeled thats an atomatic strike.
-Make sure leashes are secure!
-If i could go back in time knowing what i know now, i would avoid every person/animal on the street, in the building anywhere when with 16, i know it sounds dramatic but trust me i would do it, cause everyone wants to pet the cute doggy untill that cute doggy jumps or scratch then he's a scary monster. Just keep your distance, that's all.
-Pay attention, we all know our dogs habits, be 1 step ahead, know what they are going to do/what catch they're attention and avoid it befor they do it.
-IF YOUR DOG HAS BAD MANNERS AND DOESN'T LISTEN TO YOUR COMMANDS, TRAIN HIS/HER ASS!! TRAIN THEM TRAIN THEM TRAIN THEM.
If i had gotten 16 back his ass (and mine) was going straight to training class.
-Don't trust anyone with your dog! I can't count the number of times i let my brother or my friends walk 16. Nope don't trust anyone. It's like letting someone drive drunk.

i could go on and on......................
i keep telling my friends that have pit's that this is serious, the city wants them gone! I know people that haven't nutered/spayed their dogs yet and still walk with no muzzel, it's only a matter of time till something happens. We not only have to watch what we are doing but everything else around us.

So be carefull it only takes a second.

Any ideas on how to prevent this type of incident from happening again? I have a very strong feeling there will be more incidents like this one, with more dogs dying if we can't figure out ways to better educate the public on how serious this all is.

For starters, hopefully, soon i will have printable handouts to give other bully owners more info on the breed, and responsible ownership. The DLCC has printable handouts on their site with info on the bill, might be a good idea to print them out and hand them out to all the dog owners you meet up with, as this bill affects all dog owners.

Any other ideas? It is too late for 16 and Copper, but not to late for so many out there.

misssie
November 21st, 2005, 10:31 AM
Thanx for your support!

Missie :sorry: , sending heaps of love from Australia.
l only wish l could be there for you, to help.

tybrax and tyra

chico2
November 21st, 2005, 10:39 AM
Missie,I might sound confused,but you keep saying 16 might already have been pts,why is it you don't know if he is dead or alive....:confused:
Why would you have to go to court if 16 has been killed:confused:
If it were my dog,I would make sure I knew if the horrible deed had already been done..
As for the"old"lady,maybe she does not even know she gave 16 a death-sentence..

Conners
November 21st, 2005, 12:42 PM
Conners i got your message i will call u tonight, I only have access to internet during the week days. But like i said befor my court date was on the 15th now it's the 21st, the way that toronto animal guy would call me everyday asking if they can put 16 down now, he probably went straight to the shealter after court and did it right away. *******!
Because this hppened BEFORE the muzzling date, and I pray that 16 isn't gone yet,(I HATE putting it that way). IF they will allow a transfer out of province, 16 has a spot. I can't give details, but I'm sure you will receive pics and letters of him if we can just GET HIM OUT of province. Any idea if they would release him under those circumstances?
As far as the woman, who seems to be walking around and not much for wear and tear, I'd talk to her. Try to stay calm even though inside you're boiling and let her know that becuz of your pups immature playfulness he didn't MEAN to hurt her. She may be the key to having the last say in saving 16's life. If she would just admit it was a playfull nip and sure the dog meant no harm, it could make a difference. If she insists, then tll her she's a dog murderer and she should stay away from peoples playful pups! Let her know your heart is broken because of her stupidity.

misssie
November 21st, 2005, 12:48 PM
This happened in early October. I made 3 court appearences, my last appearence was NOVEMBER 15th.
That when they ruled for him to be put to sleep! That was on the 15th of November. Now is the 21st. That was their final decision. They asked me if i would like to be notified as to when they would put him down, I said "NO!?!"
unless they want me to have a nervous breakdown?

Missie,I might sound confused,but you keep saying 16 might already have been pts,why is it you don't know if he is dead or alive....:confused:
If it were my dog,I would make sure I knew if the horrible deed had already been done..

misssie
November 21st, 2005, 12:51 PM
They took 16 away from me the day it happened haven't seen him for about a month.

misssie
November 21st, 2005, 12:56 PM
No thats the problem, the law was in effect Aug 28 the grace period was for the puppies.
That was the original confusion with the Animal Services when this happened. He lead me to believe that i would get 16 back because it happened on the 17th of October, but he thenlater told me that that wasn't the case. The grace period was for the puppies to get nutered/spayed.

Because this hppened BEFORE the muzzling date, and I pray that 16 isn't gone yet,(I HATE putting it that way). IF they will allow a transfer out of province, 16 has a spot. I can't give details, but I'm sure you will receive pics and letters of him if we can just GET HIM OUT of province. Any idea if they would release him under those circumstances?
As far as the woman, who seems to be walking around and not much for wear and tear, I'd talk to her. Try to stay calm even though inside you're boiling and let her know that becuz of your pups immature playfulness he didn't MEAN to hurt her. She may be the key to having the last say in saving 16's life. If she would just admit it was a playfull nip and sure the dog meant no harm, it could make a difference. If she insists, then tll her she's a dog murderer and she should stay away from peoples playful pups! Let her know your heart is broken because of her stupidity.

LL1
November 21st, 2005, 01:00 PM
Which TAS is your dog at and what is his name and ID number.

jesse's mommy
November 21st, 2005, 01:01 PM
This happened in early October. I made 3 court appearences, my last appearence was NOVEMBER 15th.
That when they ruled for him to be put to sleep! That was on the 15th of November. Now is the 21st. That was their final decision. They asked me if i would like to be notified as to when they would put him down, I said "NO!?!"

I know this is very hard on you, but why did you say no? Why didn't you ask if you could be there with him? Don't you think 16 is scared and heartbroken about this and would want his last moment to be with you? I know this is heartbreaking for you, but I really think you should find out for sure if he is gone or not. Please make the call especially if there is a possibility he could be transferred. Please put 16's best interest ahead for the moment and make the call. I know it's hard, but put your feelings aside and see if there is anything you can do. I know what the courts say, but d*mn the man. Push back at them. I know I wouldn't just settle like this. I would make the biggest stink ever if this happened to me. Make the call for 16's sake.

BullLover
November 21st, 2005, 02:25 PM

They should have still notified you. You should have made them notify you. I would be there for my dog in this instance. I'm still going to come and steal him....

Did you actually say that you didn't want to be notified unless they wanted to give you a nervous breakdown? I still think it's the legal obligation to notify you regardless of the situation.

misssie
November 21st, 2005, 02:58 PM
Tell me, how would u make the biggest stink ever?
U think I want to be there to see my only friend left in this world be murdered?
I'm only 20 years old i live on my own, who's going to be there at night with me when i cry and nightmare about seeing 16 be pts. Having to look at where his bed was, or his toys still under my bed and couch or his food in the cupboard.
As a child I remember seeing my dog be pts because of old age, it's not something I want to see again. I can still remember the smell of the place, 13 years ago.

I had a really rough life i've been on my own since i was 15 yrs old, luck was never on my side. I originally got 16 in rememberance of my best friend (streetname "16") who was murdered last year, and now i have to relive the whole flippin thing again. This is very emotinal for me, my dog was my BEST FRIEND FOR REAL!!!

U don't think I tried the best i could to push back at them. How am i just setteling? In the public's eye i am the wrong one, I have the pitbull, my pitbull "attacked" an old woman! my pitbull wasn't muzzeled.
You think I have money to spend on a bull**** lawyer that doesn't know squat about the new laws to tell me that there's no hope after i give him a $1000 retainer. I don't have $1000I don't have an extra $200.
I don't know if you know anything about lawyers and the way they do "BUISNESS", but they are NOT there to help anyone but them selves!
As for these pitbull advocates/councill (that mind you live in Newfoundland i'm T.O) that don't return emails and messages, they are obviously to busy.

So pls tell me what should i have done?

I know this is very hard on you, but why did you say no? Why didn't you ask if you could be there with him? Don't you think 16 is scared and heartbroken about this and would want his last moment to be with you? I know this is heartbreaking for you, but I really think you should find out for sure if he is gone or not. Please make the call especially if there is a possibility he could be transferred. Please put 16's best interest ahead for the moment and make the call. I know it's hard, but put your feelings aside and see if there is anything you can do. I know what the courts say, but d*mn the man. Push back at them. I know I wouldn't just settle like this. I would make the biggest stink ever if this happened to me. Make the call for 16's sake.

jesse's mommy
November 21st, 2005, 03:08 PM
Make the phone call is all I said. Find out if it's happened or not. If not for you for your dog. Work with Conners and see if something could be done -- DON'T JUST GIVE UP AND PREACH TO US ON WHAT WE SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT DO! I'm sorry I know this is emotional as it is for all of us that have experienced prejudices in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM whether we own a pit or not. I understand you have had a rough life, but haven't we all? We all have things happen in our life that makes it difficult to get through, but that's where we learn our life experiences from and makes us stronger. BUT WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT PREACH TO ME ABOUT HAVING DIFFICULT THINGS HAPPEN IN LIFE THAT HAS THINGS HARD FOR YOU. IT'S LIFE, DEAL WITH IT! I'm sorry to go on a tangent like this, but to be honest, it's a terrible tragedy that has happened. It's understood that it is not your fault, but if you are not willing to take the advice and help offered in this thread and not give up, you know, I'm not going to go any further than this. If you think to yourself, you know what needs to be done. Be an adult and accept responsibility and be there for your animal.

misssie
November 21st, 2005, 03:09 PM
No one has notified me yet, I will get my friend to call them 2night. Knowing is going to kill me.
Just imagine your dog has been taken away, no matter what u say they won't give him back. They decided to put him to sleep, would you really want to know when they will do it? That whole day i will be a nervous reck. Just imagining what they're doing to my poor baby.

They should have still notified you. You should have made them notify you. I would be there for my dog in this instance. I'm still going to come and steal him....

Did you actually say that you didn't want to be notified unless they wanted to give you a nervous breakdown? I still think it's the legal obligation to notify you regardless of the situation.

misssie
November 21st, 2005, 03:09 PM
No one has notified me yet, I will get my friend to call them 2night. Knowing is going to kill me.
Just imagine your dog has been taken away, no matter what u say they won't give him back. They decided to put him to sleep, would you really want to know when they will do it? That whole day i will be a nervous reck. Just imagining what they're doing to my poor baby.

chico2
November 21st, 2005, 03:42 PM
Missie,noone here is critizising you...but in cases like this,as unfair and horrible as it is,16 right now is the one confused and terrified,if he's still alive...:sad: He is away from the person he loved,in a very cold probably unfriendly place.
Yes,it's upsetting seing your pet put down,under any circumstances,but you can go home and cry your eyes out,16 does not have that option..
It's about him right now..
I've had many animals put down,from sickness or old age,but the last person they saw,was me,not some stranger.
As for a rough life,I sympathize,I had one too,but that is life sometimes and often your closest friend is an animal,he gives comfort and undying love and he deserves the same,especially since his life might be over soon,if not already:sad:

Conners
November 21st, 2005, 03:46 PM
:grouphug: Missy, no one is coming down on you and we all know how hard this is on you. You are afraid to hear the heartbreakng news, but that is ONLY if he has been PTS. If he is, he's in no more pain. It's you in pain no matter what and we are here for you in that.
BUT, if just by one shred of hope that he may still be alive and can be transfered, is reason enough that you not give up now. Have your friend make the call and pray with all your might that we have a chance to give him his life back.

BullLover
November 21st, 2005, 06:02 PM
:fingerscr Knowing will kill you, but not knowing and worrying every day will kill you longer.

BullLover
November 21st, 2005, 06:02 PM
Which TAS is he at and what's his ID number? I will call for you.

LL1
November 21st, 2005, 08:55 PM
I offered that and did not get a reply yet.

White Wolf
November 21st, 2005, 09:25 PM
We have had several requests to close this thread as people feel it is not going anywhere and many find it increasingly upsetting. The OP has received plenty of advice and crucial questions went unanswered leaving many to believe that the OP cannot or does not really want to be helped.

misssie, when you come back, please PM the info requested to LL1 or BullLover, if you are serious about this issue.

Thank you. The thread will now be closed.