Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hi..I'm new here with a digger

rykade
October 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Hi..my name is Adria and I am from Pa. I am new here. I have a one year old beagle/lab mix who is constantly trying to dig under our fence and frankly, is driving me crazy. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Lucky Rescue
October 20th, 2005, 08:52 AM
HI and welcome!

Your dog is a puppy of hunting/hound breeds and has a great deal of energy.

How much and what kind of exercise is he getting? How much time is he spending alone in the yard?

Dogs often dig because they are bored stiff and have nothing else to do or no other way to release energy.

If you think about both these breeds, you will realize that beagles and Labs can spend all day tracking game or plunging into freezing water to retreive ducks. You need to exercise your dog until his tongue is hanging out.

K9Friend
October 20th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Is there something on the other side of the fence that he wants to get to - another dog, cat, etc? Deb in the post above is right - your beagle is probably bored and needs more exercise. Betcha he'll stop with a good play session every day!

StaceyB
October 20th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I agree with the exercise. You may also want to get some chicken or rabbit wire, cut to fit the holes. Cover it up with dirt and get a granular or jelly deterent to spread around the fence area. If it rains you will need to re-apply until the behaviour has stopped.

jessi76
October 20th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Is there something on the other side of the fence that he wants to get to - another dog, cat, etc?

BUNNIES! The beagle/lab is trying to get to the bunnies on the other side of the fence. more of the story is posted in the training section:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20515

rykade
October 24th, 2005, 03:42 PM
He gets plenty of exercise. I have a 7 year old and five year old that keep him on his toes! He is in the yard when it is yucky out(rain or snow)long enough to do his business but in the summer he is out quite a bit with the kids. The digging has just gotten real bad recently. I read somewhere to put doggy poo in the holes before we refill them as it is supposed to be a deterent to that spot. We tried it but it has been raining so not sure if it works or not.

kayla
October 24th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Welcome to the board!

I also heard putting a balloon in the hole and covering it with dirt works. When they dig it pops and scares them into not digging there again. I had a digger and tried putting her poo in the holes and covering it up and either it worked or she grew out of digging because she stopped shortly after.