Breeding My Dog?

kathyl
October 20th, 2005, 07:37 AM
my dog cuddles has come into season bleeding started monday

when would the best time for her to mate with a male dog

please if anyone can tell me

BMDLuver
October 20th, 2005, 07:46 AM
This board is very proactive spay neuter. If you have questions about breeding then you would be best to consult a veterinarian. This being said, I would presume your bitch is a grand champion with proven lineage and health clearance? That you are breeding for the betterment of the breed? That you are financially secure enough to afford a litter of puppies and possibly a csection for delivery? That there are so few of your breed unwanted that none would ever end up in a shelter discarded? That your bitch is at least two years old? That the stud meets all these requirements as well?

doggy lover
October 20th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Sounds like a first time breeder to me. Wrong place to be asking these kind of questions. You think people would do RESEARCH or hook up with a breeder before they even start to think about breeding their dog or any other type of pet.

Dragonfly
October 20th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Let's play nice. Just a warning.

kathyl
October 20th, 2005, 08:06 AM
i an new to these groups and i have tried several searches and my local vet is away and a locome vet in his place
sorry if i asked the wrong question in the wrong place

Beaglemom
October 20th, 2005, 08:16 AM
First, welcome to the board! You will learn a lot from the very knowledgeable members on this board.

The best place to start when you want to get into breeding is to find a mentor. Usually this is the breeder where you originally got your dog from. They are the best people to help you with this as they, hopefully, are knowledgeable and reputable.

There is a lot to learn in order to get into breeding. First and foremost, your breeding pairs must be of excellent representation of their breeds. Usually this means that they have been shown to championship and many times even campaigned. They should also be at least 2 years old and fully physically and mentally mature and of excellent temperament. All genetic health tests would have to be conducted and the breeding pair cleared of all of them in order to have a sound and healthy litter.

BMDLuver
October 20th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Kathy, you should never be sorry for asking questions.. If you could answer some of mine then I will be happy to explain further. I do rescue so breeding of a dog always makes me jumpy as we see so many unwanted pups/dogs daily. We like to make sure that someone has really thought this whole process through beginning to end before creating new lives.

LM1313
October 20th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Here are some things to consider before breeding your dog.

What kind of dog is it?

How old is she?

Has she been tested for flaws that her breed is suseptible to, for example hip dysplasia is she is a German Shepherd? (This is not the same as a routine vet visit!)

Why do you want to breed her?

Is she a champion show dog? Purebred dogs should not be bred just because they're purebred.

Do you know how many unwanted pets are destroyed every day? If not, visit the local Humane Society and reflect that many of the animals you see there will not leave alive.

What happens if you can't sell some of the puppies? They are your responsiblity if you choose to bring them into this world. If one of the adopters proves unfit or is unable to keep the puppy (because of allergies or such), will you take back the puppies? Reputable breeders do.

Do you realize how expensive it is to properly raise puppies? Not only does food cost money, but they must have vaccinations and be dewormed, and then there are the emergency vet bills from that puppy who decided a poisonous plant looked tasty. Reputable breeders do not make any money on breeding; they're lucky to break even.

Please reconsider breeding your dog unless she is a champion show dog. There are many unwanted pets (including purebreds) being put to sleep every day.

~LM~