Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sheltie Lost

Sheltielover
October 19th, 2005, 08:37 PM
:( Hi There, We lost our beloved sheltie on Monday afternoon. She was staying with our breeder/handler as she was to be in a show this weekend. She escaped from her home unfortunately. She was last seen on Old Madoc Rd. in Madoc/Belleville area. She is a sable/white, female, 3 yrs old, very friendly,answers to "Abbey". She was spotted on Wednesday but the people tried to run after her which made her run even faster(please don't chase lost dogs). We are heartbroken, she is a cherished member of our family and my little shadow. Please if you have any info on my little girl please email me at steveandjoanna@rogers.com. I am from Newmarket so its heartwrenching knowing she is running around Belleville area somewhere and I am way down here.

BMDLuver
October 19th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way but I would suggest you go to Belleville and try to find her. She knows you, ,loves you and trusts you so maybe if you hunt around where she was at and bring a few articles of worn clothing she might go back to the spot. Newmarket to Belleville really is not too long a trip for a dog you love. Also, have you contacted Kingston Humane Society, Quinte Humane Society, etc... as they are all shelters in the surrounding area who may have received her. Just some thoughts. I hope you get her back soon.

Sheltielover
October 20th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Hi BMD LOVER, I am heading there today and spending the whole day. My hubby and I took the day off work so we would have the whole day to search. Wish me luck, I hope we get some leads. Thanks for your reply

BMDLuver
October 20th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Keeping my :fingerscr that you have great success in finding her!

Sheltielover
October 20th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Hi BMD Luver,

We went out and spent a good 8 hrs looking for her, recombing every spot over and over near were she has been seen and a good 2 miles around those areas as well . Calling and calling, but nothing. I feel so defeated. I cried all the way home. She will always be my heart dog....I pray that its not the end and I will hear some news soon. There is an ad in the paper tomorrow and Sunday out there. Thanks for your well wishes for today,I really wish I could have had a lead at least. I'm going to bed now,I'm exhausted.

BMDLuver
October 21st, 2005, 06:45 AM
Oh dear, I was praying you would find her. Have you contacted Sheltie Rescue in Niagara? Do you have a photo of her? I can crosspost all the details to multiple Ontario rescues if that would help?

Mrs Bungle
October 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM
Have you contacted animal services??

When we lost our lab/sheppard cross animal services had him...

Good place to check out either way..

Hope you find her!!

Sheltielover
October 21st, 2005, 08:18 PM
Hi,

I tried to post a pic of her, but I can't get it to work. Can I just send it to your email? I would appreciate ANY help I can get. Passing it along to shelters would be great!!!

BMDLuver
October 21st, 2005, 08:24 PM
Send it to teddyscaninerailroad@hotmail.com along with a description, who to contact, where last seen, where lost and I will post it across the rescue boards in Ontario who all have members of SPCA's in the lost area on them. Let's hope to get your little one home to you. :fingerscr

april07
October 22nd, 2005, 12:06 AM
Sheltielover,I've gone through the emotions that you are going through and I deeply sympathize. I really hope that you find her and she comes home safely :fingerscr

BMDLuver
October 22nd, 2005, 06:56 AM
Abbey's photo.

Sheltielover
October 23rd, 2005, 08:32 AM
Thank you BMD LUVER for posting picture of our missing "Abbey", I really appreciate it....

Toonces
October 24th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Sheltielover I am so sorry that your little girl is lost. I know quiet a few people in the Belleville and surrounding area, if you like I could make up some posters and put them in the grocery stores, post offices ect. I will tell everyone I can think of and show her pic around work as well since alot of people I work with live in the area she was lost. I will also take a pic and description to QHS if you like.

I feel so bad for you, I can only imagine how you must be feeling right now. :grouphug:

BMDLuver
October 24th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Thank you BMD LUVER for posting picture of our missing "Abbey", I really appreciate it....
My pleasure. I have sent it out on the rescue boards that have members in Belleville and Kingston as well as to surrounding Ottawa just in case. The more it gets circulated the better the chances of finding her.

Sheltielover
October 24th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Hi Toonces, yes I am feeling beside myself right now....I miss her like you wouldn't believe!!!! I would appreciate any help whatsoever that you could provide, ie posters etc. Thereis a flyer up in the QHS but thats all in Belleville, I believe. There was flyers scattered everywhere over Foxboro were she went missing from. I'm hoping for miracles!!!

Sheltielover
October 24th, 2005, 12:41 PM
I also wanted to say thank you to everyone I can't believe the support you get from people on these boards, it means sooo much when you need all the help in the world!!!!! :grouphug:

Toonces
October 24th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Consider it done, I will make some up tonite and put them up after work tomorrow, did anyone contact the local radio stations mix 97 and OJ 95? I can call if you like and have them put it on the air and there are a few local papers that could run a lost ad.

Please PM me with you phone # so I can put it on the flyers.

Again I am so sorry I hope your baby if found soon, safe and sound. :fingerscr

Sheltielover
October 25th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Has anyone ever used or heard of someone using a animal communicator, My breeder got a reading tonight from one,as to where Abbey may be but was wondering what other peoples experience is with them?

Joanna

april07
October 26th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Personally I've never heard of someone using an animal communicator, but I would try and use all means even if it sounded "out to lunch". Worst case scenerio..you would be at the same situation as you are now.It's worth a try I think :fingerscr Keep us posted

BMDLuver
October 26th, 2005, 06:54 AM
I'm a bit sceptical about animal communicators but I do know of people who have used them and swear to have had success. It won't hurt anything to try it.

ElaineG
November 2nd, 2005, 10:07 AM
The trap for Jasper is set and I am being cautiously optimistic. Because he is a big dog, the trap was very heavy, took two guys to carry it and was very tricky to set. Sigh. Good luck with Abbey's trap.

Toonces
November 2nd, 2005, 02:14 PM
Sheltielover and Elaine all fingers, paws and anything that can be crossed is, lets hope these 2 babies are home safe and sound soon. :fingerscr

doggy lover
November 2nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
What a beautiful little girl, I love her star on her head, I hope you catch her soon :fingerscr

happycats
November 3rd, 2005, 06:46 AM
My co-worker found a Sheltie in the Port Hope area, I know it's a long shot, but I emailed her a copy of this. :fingerscr :fingerscr

BMDLuver
November 3rd, 2005, 06:52 AM
That would be wonderful if it was her! :fingerscr

happycats
November 3rd, 2005, 06:58 AM
That would be wonderful if it was her! :fingerscr

I hope so :fingerscr . I hope she's in today to get the email!!

Sheltielover
November 3rd, 2005, 08:12 AM
Hi Happy cats,

Thank you for forwarding this on to your friend,it is a bit of a long shot...BUT YOU NEVER KNOW! There was a Sheltie found in Colbourne over the weekend too and I was hoping it was her, but unfortunately it wasn't :sad: . I appreciate everyone keeping there eyes and ears open, I still have some hope my baby will be back....Once again Thank you, you guys are really great on this board!

happycats
November 3rd, 2005, 09:41 AM
Hi Happy cats,

Thank you for forwarding this on to your friend,it is a bit of a long shot...BUT YOU NEVER KNOW! There was a Sheltie found in Colbourne over the weekend too and I was hoping it was her, but unfortunately it wasn't :sad: . I appreciate everyone keeping there eyes and ears open, I still have some hope my baby will be back....Once again Thank you, you guys are really great on this board!

This one was found hanging around a laundromat, just outside of Port Hope.
My co-worker is off today, but I have been assured this baby is being very well cared for until the owner is found.

ElaineG
November 3rd, 2005, 06:30 PM
I was sorry to hear another lead went south. I asked on the Jasper thread if you had mapped the sightings and their dates. If she is circling, you might try placing the trap, on her circuit. I wish you well on this one. They need to come home soon! :grouphug:

Sheltielover
November 4th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Hi Elaine, We are trying to but they are always a couple of days between sightings, and shes not really into a pattern as per say. Shes kind of all over the board still. Need a recent sighting before trap goes up? How often do you check your trap by the way?

Joanna

ElaineG
November 5th, 2005, 10:31 AM
We check our trap every evening. We leave it open all night if the weather is mild. No news yet on the fourth day and I am sinking into a blue funk. How do you keep going? We haven't had a sighting since last Saturday.

Sheltielover
November 5th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Hi Elaine, I know this is one of the most difficult things I've been through, honestly. I can't think overly too much about her or I break down, I am trying to focus on this moment,kind of thing. I keep picturing her out there on her own and it actually makes my stomach turn,like I'm sick. Apparently there was a sighting of her last night. The couple this time actually came within 3 ft of catching her and she bolted! Shes so petrified....They said shes all dirty and unkept looking(after almost 3 weeks though thats kind of inevitable). The last 2 sightings she has been seen nosing in the ditches, I assume looking for food. The breeder went out last night and spread food in the ditches for a 2 km(which is good and bad, I guess it keeps her from starving,but it also drives her closer to the roads) They are hoping to go back tonight to see if they can see her in ditches. They are hopefully going to set the trap sometime today, we are waiting on permission from local farmers to have it on their land. We had no calls on Abbey for a week at a time as well, Its not that nobody didn't see her they either didn't have the flyer or didn't bother calling till a couple of days later. Hang in there, Elaine....boy I know its tough!
Are you moving the trap around or are you keeping it in the one spot?

cpietra16
November 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I still wish you both all the luck. Now its got to the point where I can't think of Jasper without thinking of Abbey. You seem to be both so close to getting both back....I hope some day they can somehow meet. Again I wish you all the luck...are you both offering rewards? Maybe some people that have seen her may go out again with some food the next time just so they can collect the money.

Sheltielover
November 5th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Hi Cpietra16

Most definitely there is a reward being offered!!!!!!!!

chico2
November 5th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Sheltielover,It's so very sad to read your posts and those of Elaine,it's just heartbreaking :sad:
I lost one of my cats only for an hour and just about went into hysterics,thinking of him alone and scared.
But please don't loose hope,maybe someone is feeding her and she sticks around that area,maybe somewhere rural where they have not seen the posters.
I am hoping for some good news soon,we've had instances where dogs/cats have been found and returned home after a very long time.
I know everyone here thinks of you both and wish for a wonderful outcome :fingerscr

Sheltielover
November 5th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Our trap is up...wish us luck, we need it....... I'm heading out tomorrow to Belleville for another search and to put some of my clothing and her toys in the trap. I REALLY hope this works!!! :fingerscr

jesse's mommy
November 5th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Good Luck! I'll say a prayer for you!

chico2
November 5th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Oh yes,me too,with all my being and tons of good vibes :love:

cpietra16
November 6th, 2005, 08:48 AM
There is a whole bunch of positive vibs travelling from Pointe Claire,Quebec...to you.... :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

Toonces
November 6th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Good luck today Sheltielover.

The spot Abbey was last seen in is very well travelled so heres hoping she is found soon :fingerscr

Sheltielover
November 6th, 2005, 06:39 PM
We just got home after a full day of searching and no luck, we looked everywhere again:sad: Nothing has been to the trap,not even another animal. Its so cold and windy out tonight I wanted to bring her home sooo bad. I hope shes still ok,and taking cover. I threw lots of food out hoping she comes across it...... I'm feeling really down,my poor girl needs to be with me,and I need her:(

Luba
November 6th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Some people think this is odd or strange but sometimes it works...

Use or borrow a portable BBQ or coleman stove...buy some hamburger and hot dogs....

Go to the LAST KNOW area she was in and TAKE ANOTHER DOG with her that she KNOWS and is friends with!!!

RUB a towel ALL OVER that dog get it's scent and even let the dog urinate on the towel (gross I know)

Tie a rope to the towel and drag it behind you walking EVERYWHERE and anywhere but ALWAYS leading back to the SAME place.

IF you know or have a friend or someone that lives in that area before you leave .....give them the towel and rub your friends dog with it again.

THIS HAS to be a dog your dog knows and likes.

Anyways if not a dog you can rub the towel all over YOU OR wear a pair of same socks for a couple of days and do this with the socks.

Leave either towel or socks with the person who lives closest....have them go back there daily and do the same thing....if the dog smells the same smell there every day it will return. AND ALWAYS leave food and WATER there ALWAYS!!!!!

NOW the BBQ session, set it up and start cooking stay there for a few hours, camp out and let the smell whaf the air. CALL out to your dog in a happy loving voice...tell her to come get COOKIES or whatever word you know that she knows for food. Do this often and LOUDLY...and keep walking around with that towel dragging behind you OR the socks from a rope make sure it makes contact to the ground. Take food with you drop pieces of food in trails ALWAYS leading back to the same spot. Try not to use kibbles, use something stinky like meatballs or pieces of cooked hot dogs.

Best of luck if you have any questions let me know I wish I were closer to help you.

God Bless

badger
November 6th, 2005, 07:09 PM
It must be agonizing. Our hearts are really with you and all the other people who are looking for their animals. One thing I don't understand, apart from the emotional bond she has with you, at say a more basic level, isn't she turning her back on her pack? Or is she just so freaked out she can't think straight?

Sheltielover
November 6th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Badger,

From things I've read about lost dogs,its because they are so petrified,they start to loose trust in everybody and are scared of everything,so I don't think its so much turning her back on us,just very wary of people.....

I left a shirt I was wearing yesterday, and a towel I rubbed all over my Golden, and another shirt I rubbed all over her son "Duke". I even left a stuffed animal that the cats played with to put inside the trap. I'm trying everything I can think of....Thanks for the good advise Luba!

kimr
November 7th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Hi there,
I recently lost an indoor orange persian cat (you may have seen my post) for 4 heartwrenching weeks! I know cats are a little more resourceful then dogs, but we did find him thanks to the many signs we had posted. Many signs would be torn off the next day (which was very maddening), but we would repost again. We had several colour posters up and finally almost 4 weeks later, they paid off. I know the heartache you are going through. Our cat is 9yrs old and we love him dearly (he was actually a wedding gift of ours as my cousin used to be a breeder of Persians and it was our best gift). I know it is very hard and discouraging not knowing what happened to your pet, but don't give up. Good luck. If you ever find your dog, be sure to post it.

ElaineG
November 8th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Hi Sheltielover:
I am trying the newspaper again with a reward offered this time. We should try all suggestions even if we have to modify them a bit to suit our errant babes. We have to keep looking!:grouphug:

cpietra16
November 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Any sightings or news yet?:(

cpietra16
November 13th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Hi ElaineG,
I was just looking throught the petfinders lost and found section under Ontario and saw that someone found a sheltie. I don't know any thing about the area where your Sheltie was lost, or if the Sheltie that was found was even close to where your baby was lost, but you never know. Please take a look. The posting is towards the end of the page. It's a long shot, but,I hope for the best. :fingerscr

Sheltielover
November 13th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Hi, I have checked that one out already, but thanks for looking. I check that site daily hoping to find her. Many other sites too. Its been 1 mth tomorrow, my poor baby,I still am trying to hold a little hope for her, but its hard. Apparently about 3 days ago a lady swore she saw her, so the lead has been followed up on and we moved the trap to the area,but nothing so far.

cpietra16
November 13th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Would the area where she was spotted; would it have a local newspaper where you can post her disappearance? I really hope you get a good solid lead.

cpietra16
November 13th, 2005, 03:39 PM
When I lost my cat (somewhere in Ontario during our travels) I went into the
http://www.adoptananimal.ca/ site, inserted the postal code of where we thought she got out and got a list of all the local shelters within a 100 mile radius and faxed, emailed and phoned each one with the info...you can try it...and I also looked up all the vets in those areas and emailed them too. As a matter of fact I am still emailing them posters every 4 months.

DucksLilGoose
November 15th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Where about's was she noticed? I live in Trenton so I can watch out for her.

doggy lover
November 15th, 2006, 04:27 PM
This dog was lost over a year ago, but I guess it never hurts to keep an eye out maybe someone picked her up and kept her.

DucksLilGoose
November 15th, 2006, 04:30 PM
oops i thought it was more recent sorry

teddyismylilpom
November 28th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I hope you guys find all of your missing dogs I feel so sorry for you guys never lose hope.:sorry: