Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Frustrated with dog shoes.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 19th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I am getting really frustrated with these dog shoes. I have ordered off the internet for Joey. The front ones seem to fit fine. But the back ones were too big so I exchanged them. The post office charged me $10.00 to ship them back to the company. I then used their sizing chart to resize his back paws turns out he was a small+. So two weeks later I finally got the shoes in the mail, and they don't stay on. I make sure his whole paw is in the shoe and he is standing as the video instructs. Five minutes later the shoe is falling off.

Joey also hates them. When he has them on he will just sit and refuse to move. Maybe dogs werent meant to wear shoes. Maybe I should just go to my local petstore and see what they have, instead of messing with these high performance high tech, thinga ma jigs that are a pain in the paw. :evil:

Roxy's_MA
October 19th, 2005, 11:32 AM
If I remember correctly wasn't it neopaws you were looking at. I saw them at Petsmart 2 days ago. I think I would find some you can try on instead of messing around with the mail order ones.

jessi76
October 19th, 2005, 12:12 PM
why does Joey have to wear shoes? does he NEED shoes or do you WANT him to wear shoes? seems like alot of aggrevation to me, I mean, if they don't stay on, and Joey hates wearing them, then why struggle so much?

Lissa
October 19th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I bought Dodger some neopaws because they were 50% off. He doesn't like to wear them but they have come in quite useful for his many cut paw pads!
I bought them thinking that his pads would get irritated by the salt in the winter but he doesn't care (he doesn't have the same fur in between the paws as our previous dog did!)
I've not had a problem with them falling off...
That really sucks that you have to pay because their sizing is messed up!

Beetlecat
October 19th, 2005, 01:22 PM
From what I've heard, getting dog shoes to stay on can be a problem depending on the brand, specific shape of the shoes and the dog's paws, etc.

One person I know suggested using what amount to supenders to keep the shoes on. Kinda like those mittens attached to a string. Whether he ever did it or not, I don't know.

doggirl
October 19th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Personally I would never deal with Neopaws.

They need to be quite snug, if the dog is getting them off they may not be tight enough.

Put them on right before a walk. Lots of dogs are weirded out by the sensation at first and plant themselves. He'll get over it.

As someone else asked, is there a reason for having boots on him at this time? I only put them on my dogs when it's cold/snowy enough to cause them pain or discomfort to walk without. I use Muttluks and they stay on very well.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 20th, 2005, 08:46 AM
THey are now sending me the insoles, I am hoping it will make the back ones fit a bit more snug.