Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Really need your advice on a puppy, thanks!

Jenmlf
October 19th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Hey there,

So my BF's mom has found what she discribes as "the perfect dog" for us. It is a ****zu terrier mix (I'm not sure what terrier assuming Yorkie) and we are going to see it either today or tomorrow. If it was you with this puppy, how much would you charge for it? We are intendending on getting a dog but were aiming for next spring as we will be moved into our new home and things however, now that this "perfect dog" has come up I am tempted to just go ahead but am thinking that $500 is a little much for a mix, am I wrong? We will be meeting the parents and talking with the person to see about temperment and things but on first glance, what do you think? Get it or not?

Any help you can give me would be greatly apprechiated! Thank so much!

Jen

Trinitie
October 19th, 2005, 10:17 AM
It's a mixed mutt and there are tons of "perfect" dogs on Petfinder.com looking for forever homes.

Don't rush into getting a dog because someone knows of a dog that would be suitable. There is no such thing as the perfect dog, so don't kid yourself into thinking that way. Even a dog with pedigree parents, who have shown Best in Show for 4 years straight, may have pups that have bad temperments.

Please seriously consider an unwanted pup currently in shelter, or even an adult dog. With adults, at least you're through the teething stage and they pretty much know thier manners.

jessi76
October 19th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Not.

too many red flags.... you wanted to wait until you moved, you think the price is questionable, someone else has decided this is the perfect dog for YOU.

only you can determine a) when you are ready, and b) what dog is right for you.

If too much is questionable, then wait, and consider Trinity's advice about shelter dogs.

Lucky Rescue
October 19th, 2005, 10:39 AM
These people are backyard breeders, pumping out mutts for big bucks. Your mom will be paying 500$ for a mixed breed puppy with no registration papers, no health guarantee and not spayed or neutered. These puppies are no better than any mutt in the pound, nor are they worth more.

Please do not patronize or reward the type of people who irresponsibly breed dogs to create pets and put money in their pockets by ripping off people.

There is a host of genetic defects that both breeds are prone to. Since these puppies have both breeds, there is a chance they will inherit both defects, since I'm assuming the parents were neither health tested (and I don't mean a vet check) nor shown.

We just adopted out a 1 1/2 year old, purebred Shih Tzu who was spayed and vaccinated for less than half that amount.

Luvmypit
October 19th, 2005, 11:08 AM
What they said!

Anyone selling a dog for 500 with no papers is definately ripping you off. You can get a mix of the same if that is what you want on petfinder/local shelter.

If you pay for this dog you are just incouraging this breeder to dole out more puppies to line his / her pockets.

Good luck in your search! And rememeber although I am sure that the person I think it was your mom had the best intentions its best you do this seacrh on your own. Meet with the dogs you find and interact with him.

I think your on the right track b/c you wouldn't have asked if you didn't see the same red flags that we can see.

LM1313
October 19th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Why buy a mutt for $500 when you could rescue one from the Humane Society for so much less? Don't encourage the backyard breeders . . .

~LM~

Dogastrophe
October 19th, 2005, 01:29 PM
If it is a purebred shih zhu (or Yorkie) that was bred by a responsible breeder and comes with lifetime breeder support / assistance then $500 may be a great price. Otherwise, give the shelters / animal control / rescues a check. In time (that meets your time table) you will find the perfect dog for you for a fraction of the price. Only you can find the right dog for you, don't let others decide. :pawprint:

Gripenfelter
October 19th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Are you sure its not from a home based puppy mill?

Like what everyone else said, $500 for a puppy with no papers is a scam.

$150 will get you a dog from the local Humane Society.

I'm looking to adopt a female Mal from Malamute Rescue and its no where near $500.

jjgeonerd
October 19th, 2005, 02:20 PM
I agree with everyone...ADOPT a dog from a rescue organization or the pound. Save a life.

jawert1
October 19th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Save a life and a lot of money and adopt a shelter dog on YOUR time and when YOU'VE found the perfect dog for you. Petfinder is a great place to start, but most local shelters have websites these days (a google search will tell you). A dog is a friend for life, so make sure you're doing this for you and not just because your BF's mom said so.