Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boyfriends dog attacks when put in kennel...

xFire Angelx
October 19th, 2005, 05:02 AM
hey guys i am looking for advice for my boyfriend
he has two shih tzus Scooby and Ewok they're about 2 years old they are brothers
Scooby is pretty good but pees in the house a lot... he wont pee outside very often... he holds it until he gets inside ... but the big problem is with Ewok he barks all the time and growls for no reason.. he would just be sitting there and would snap at you or growl at thin air... and when you try to put him in his kennel for the night he goes bonkers and attacks you starts growling and barking and biting.. he tried keeping him in the kitchen at night but once he puts him behind the gate in there he goes crazy
they've tried letting him have free roam for the nights but he then uses the bathroom around the house
everyone is becoming concerned about this because he has two neices 6 and 3 years old that come over and we're all scared to death Ewok might hurt one of them
any ideas what it could be or how to fix this?
he really loves the doggies but jeeze Ewok is unpredictable and is becoming dangerous

jessi76
October 19th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Scooby is pretty good but pees in the house a lot... he wont pee outside very often... he holds it until he gets inside ... but the big problem is with Ewok he barks all the time and growls for no reason.. he would just be sitting there and would snap at you or growl at thin air... and when you try to put him in his kennel for the night he goes bonkers and attacks you starts growling and barking and biting.. he tried keeping him in the kitchen at night but once he puts him behind the gate in there he goes crazy
they've tried letting him have free roam for the nights but he then uses the bathroom around the house

You don't think peeing in the house is a BIG problem? Sorry, but unless Scooby is box-trained, or pad-trained, I think that is the bigger issue. Especially with young children coming to visit this home.... :eek:

I would first fix the housetraining issues.

Gripenfelter
October 19th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Put treats in his crate and when he's quiet, give him another treat.

They will be loud for the first couple of nights and then settle down. As soon as you wake up in the morning, immediately take them outside for a pee and poop. When they pee and poop outside, praise them and give them a treat.

Never use the crate as punishment.

Trinitie
October 19th, 2005, 01:07 PM
First things first -
Rule out a bladder issue by a checkup at the vet.
If he comes out with a clean bill of health then it's a training issue.

The kennel -
Has your BF had these dogs since they were pups? If not, then it's possible they've been traumatized by the kennel. One more apparently than the other. It's a super case of separation anxiety to the extreme. Have the children been watched around the dogs to make sure they're not part of the problem? It's possible they've been teased and bugged to the point of "not taking it anymore".

Another possibility is that there's a serious health problem with the one dog.

It would be in the BF's best interest, and to those around him, to have the dog checked head to toe for problems. Different illnesses can manafest themselves with different symptoms. It's possible there may be something affecting his thought process.

It should be handled by a vet before the dog actually bites someone, or does himself harm when he's kenneled.

In all honesty, I think this has escalated past being kennel trained with treats, as you would do with a learning puppy.

xFire Angelx
October 19th, 2005, 03:59 PM
yes i agree too it has escalated way too far...
he has had them since they were pups but he lived with someone for a while that abuses animals(dont get me started on that horrible man) we think he might have abused the dogs... scooby seems like he might be a bit on the slow side and doesnt seems to get everything... is it possible that these dogs were inbreed and just have mental health problems?
his neices are coming over today and im so worried ewok might bite them
he has just enough money to pay rent so he cant take them to the vet
thank you so so very much for your advice guys it means a lot

doggirl
October 19th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Keep the dogs completely separated from the children indefinitely!!! Very very important.

Feed both dogs in their crates. Give them any treats they get in the crates. He is going to have to go back to crate-training 101. Make sure he understands that crate-training doesn't mean putting them in a crate. It means TRAINING them to understand and view it as their "den", a positive place. They learn by association - therefore positive things must happen in the crate, and no negative associations (eg using it as punishment).

Keep a leash on this dog 24/7. Most people bitten by their dogs are bitten when grabbing the collar. You do not want to give him the chance. If you are going to need to provide physical guidance you do not want to be grabbing his collar.

Use NON-CONFRONTATIONAL methods with this dog. Yes, it is possible he's been brain-damaged. However this is not altogether unusual for the breed (HUGE attitude).

Having littermates is a big thing, you can come down with major behavioral issues even long ways down the road. I hope he's done a lot of research on this. I understand money is tight but he'd be wise to start now putting aside even just some coins every day, what happens if one of these dogs is injured? He may want to look into pet insurance too if he's that tight. I know money doesn't grow on trees but he is a sitting duck if something happens medically to the dogs, he'll be screwed, and probably calling rescues. The time to plan for it is now.

These suggestions are short-term management only. He really should invest in a trainer - a GOOD one - it would be worth every penny.

Good luck.

Puppyluv
October 19th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Is Ewok (and for that matter, is Scooby) neutered? Neutering can solve a lot of behavioral issues. If they are neutered, then I think your bf has a lot of training ahead of him, and despite lack of funds, some vet visits are essential.
Good luck

xFire Angelx
October 19th, 2005, 05:43 PM
no they arent unfortunately
we've been talking about doing that but again he has no money to get that done
he also has 2 kitties that need to be fixed as well

LM1313
October 19th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Maybe you can contact a local animal shelter and find out if there are any free / cheap spay days coming up? They have these in our city, maybe they have them in yours. Animal shelters are always gung ho for people spaying and neutering so I'm sure they'll be eager to help you find the cheapest way.

~LM~

xFire Angelx
October 19th, 2005, 09:45 PM
yeah thats a great idea ive been looking into it and so far all we can find is 50 bucks each