Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Roundworms

heather331
October 18th, 2005, 11:14 PM
My boyfriend and I adopted a puppy from the animal shelter. The puppy has had bloody diaherra and doesnt have much of an appetite. Just last night she threw up a worm. From the research I've done I think it's a roundworm. We are going to carry her to the vet as soon as possible. My question is can she give the worms to my cats. I researched this and I know that both cats and dogs get roundworms, but there are diffierent kinds that affect dog and cats and then there is a kind that affects both. All I know is that cats and dogs both can get roundworms, but I don't know if they can pass them to each other. Does anyone know?

Lucky Rescue
October 18th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Yes, they can pass between cats and dogs, but the cats would have to swallow the eggs to get the worms. You can have a stool sample from the cats analyzed to check for worms. Roundworms are not particularly harmful in healthy adult animals.

However you puppy sounds quite sick from the worms or from something else, and a large infestation of worms in a young sick puppy can be deadly. I'm glad you're going to the vet right away!