Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!!!!

Okami
October 18th, 2005, 10:44 PM
I apologize dearly for posting this here but this is an emergency. Two of my doves died today, in a very awkward position. I found one died in a position that looked like it just collapsed while it was eating from it's bowl (body was limp over the bowl). The other I found looked like it just collapsed while trying to pick seeds from the bottom of it's cage (it's beack was clamped around a seed). Now I'm not aware of any bird flu in my area or my province. And even if there was the room is always closed (though these few days we've been opening the doors to air out paint thinner). I don't think bird flu could get through to them anyways. I had 6 birds, 3doves, 2 pigeons, and one cockatiel. 2 of the doves are now dead and the last dove looks like it's suffereing I don't know if it's by depression (it's mate died) or because it's sick too.

I think it was the paint thinner my dad put in their room. It was closed for a bit of the time and I think the birds inhaled too much of it. We argued but he told me if it was the thinner all the bords would have died. I still don't belive it though. Please if someone could help me out to find the cause of the deaths. I'm worried if it's some sort of sickness that can pass onto my dog and cat.

Lucky Rescue
October 18th, 2005, 11:31 PM
YES, the fumes from paint thinner can kill birds.

Birds have very delicate respiratory systems, and fumes from smoke, overheated Teflon, aerosol sprays etc can rapidly kill them.

april07
October 18th, 2005, 11:35 PM
this is just an opinion and nothing more. i think it's probably the paint thinner due to the toxins in there. I used to have lovebirds and researching bout them they were very sensitive to things in the air.sensitive enough that teflon pans used on the stove that if they got hot enough could kill them and even burning sensitive candles were harmful to them.again this is just my personal opinion.

Okami
October 18th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Thank you so much for the replies!. Just to gather more facts... I have a few more questions.
Why didn't the fumes kill the otherbirds?
Why didn't the fumes kill the birds instantly?(I was told that all the fumes IF they killed the doves would of killed the doves the night we painted it because the CO2 would of suffacate them by then, and the fumes aren't poisonus?)
How can I help my surviving dove, and how can I make sure my other birds will be healthy?
Sorry for the horrible grammer and spelling I'm typing this with one dove in my hand and a kitten in my lap :rolleyes: .

Lucky Rescue
October 19th, 2005, 12:03 AM
I"m not saying your doves died from fumes, just that fumes can and do kill birds.

It's possible something else killed them.

Prin
October 19th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Maybe the chemicals in the fumes are cumulative? I say that because photo chemicals (for processing film and photo paper) are cumulative- they build up in your body every exposure and eventually cause liver failure. Maybe even though the level of fumes went down, they were still building up in the birds?

I would assume that if it was this that killed the doves and made the last one weak, they are probably weaker than the rest of the birds when it comes to fumes.

Are they completely away from the fumes now? Maybe you can't smell them, but they could still be there?

Okami
October 19th, 2005, 12:47 AM
I moved all the birds to seperate parts of the house (incase of illness). There may be lingering fumes in the room (I can still smell a little bit of it).

Okami
October 19th, 2005, 01:17 AM
We think the deaths might have been caused by a heatstroke now. Since the doves were placed in the sunroom with the doors closed, and the ventilation broke down in that room. So it could of been a hotbox for a certain amount of time in the day. That may explain why the other birds are unaffected.

doggirl
October 19th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I think the fumes are more likely the cause. Heatstroke would not be sudden, fumes could've been. If you can smell them, they are so much more sensitive, that could certainly have done this.

Sorry for your loss.

Trinitie
October 19th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Also know that fumes become much more intense in hot areas. It's almost like the air gets "thicker", for lack of a better explaination.

If you're worried that the other birds contracting something contagious, have your vet do a necropsy (sp?). Basically and autopsy for animals. Maybe blood tests done on the dead birds will be able to shed more light.

Sorry for your loss.

coppperbelle
October 20th, 2005, 08:04 PM
As a word of caution, Febreeze can also harm or even kill birds.