Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New here & perplexed...

born_a_lion
October 18th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Hi!

I have two really quick questions for all you pet experts out there...

First, my youngest cat (little over a year), has this strange obsession with plastic wrapping - from CD's, movies, saran wrap...you name it! I found a long piece of Saran wrapping in a puddle of kitty puke. I nearly died with thoughts of the horrible things that could have happened from him ingesting this. I knew he had taken it off the counter. So, every time I wrapped/unwrapped food it would go in the garabge instantly. I thought I solved the problem. Until I discovered that he was going into every garbage can in my apartment that had any kind of plastic wrapping in it. He sniffs it out. Even if I get home and unwrap a CD and put the wrapping on the table next to food, he will jump up and bypass the food going straight for the plastic! Of course I don't let him put it in his mouth. Has anyone else had this problem before? Right now I dispose of every plastic wrapping in our only covered garbage pale, to avoid having him ingest it ever again. Is there any way to break him of this? Why is he doing it?

Second and last, my mom has a 1 year old small breed dog. He was really difficult to train, as he was adopted and not treated, well by the seems of things, by his previous owner. He broke free of all his "bad" behaviours and has been really wonderful. But as of a month ago, he started doing his business inside the apartment - both kinds. My mom has him on a schedule that was working really well. He was only able to be trained by having him go at the same times everyday - that is what seemed to work best for him. We don't know why he has reverted back to going inside the house. There has been no change to his routine or his environment... Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks a million!

toymom
October 18th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Hi, I am new here also. I had a cat who used to chew up power supply cords that went to the cordless phone base - don't know why. But she did not eat them. My current cat chews up anything made of that foam material that flip flops are made of - so she chews up flip flops and toys made of that stuff and nerf footballs - foam puzzle mats - etc...
Maybe you could try changing brands of plastic wrap - perhaps they don't all smell and taste the same. Cling wrap works great and is different from the other plastic wrap.

Beetlecat
October 19th, 2005, 01:30 PM
In addittion to plastic wrappers, my cat will gulp down any sort of string or thread.

I have no idea why he likes these things. All I can do is keep it away from him. He has shown no tendency to go after plastic wrap though, which is good as the plaster wrappers crinkle when he is chewing on them so I can find and stop him.

jessi76
October 19th, 2005, 02:21 PM
ahhhh the strange things cats eat.....

my old cat (RIP) had a thing for dryer sheets. She'd eat them (and then they'd come back... eeew). She would get them out of the trash, out of the dryer (if left open), off the top of the dryer, out of the laundry basket.... she could always find them. we never solved it - we just kept them out of reach as best we could, and cleaned up the ones she did find.

Beetlecat, watch the thread! my parents spent ALOT of $ to have the vet untangle my old cat's insides after she ate an entire spool of thread.

jawert1
October 19th, 2005, 04:00 PM
hey there, simple way to fix cats (and dogs) from getting in the garbage - places like Bed, Bath and Beyond and Linen's N Things sell a brand of can called Simple Human (and some knockoffs). I've posted a link to their site:

http://www.simplehuman.com/products/trash-cans/kitchen/index.html

Now I know the prices are a bit much, however I purchased the 30liter round can for 35.00 USD (and with coupon, much cheaper) and neither my Pointer (who is quite the garbage pest) nor my Shepherd have figured it out in 2 years :) Do your cat a huge favor and save him from himself by getting something like this can so she can't ingest anything more :)

Secondly...has your mom gotten a crate for her pup? If not, it may be worth looking into as it sounds as though strict schedule may not be enough. I discovered after bringing my pointer home from the shelter that he had too much room to run around in during the day, and I began to use the crate as his den (always open) and keep it in the kitchen where I could block off the room (but not too much). Within 3 days, his using the house as a toilet stopped, partly I attribute to him feeling more secure and having an even quieter space to escape to.

In either case, keep us posted on both situations :)

born_a_lion
October 20th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the support!

Jawert1 - Those garbage cans are really nice:) The one I have right now though, seems to be pretty good (cheap too!). It is plastic (ironic?) and has clasps that fold over the top to keep the lid on. So my little fur prince can't get into the can. Thing is, if my husband or brother-in-law throw it in another can the little guy just sniffs it out! I have reminded them time again to dispose of it in the right garbage. I have had cats before and have never experienced anything like this. It is good to know that cats are known for these strange behaviours. I wish I could deter him altogether, so I would not have to worry so much.

My mom does have a crate for her dog, and the measurements were picked out by her vet. He loves his crate and does go their when he needs security - you are right on with that one!:) She has also taken some training lessons to help. They really did wonders for all his behavioural "issues". That is why we are so perplexed. She has taken all the recommended routes to helping him and was very successful. Plus, he had no change in environment, lifestyle, etc... We are so thrown off. Could he be resisting the outdoors due to cold weather? My mom got him during the warmer spring season. He is a little tiny dog. She tried dressing him in a sweater and booties, but he hates them. This is the only reasoning we can think of - is it possible? :pawprint:

jawert1
October 20th, 2005, 03:41 PM
It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a dog freaking out over cold weather :) It's a shame he's not so into the clothes to keep him warm, perhaps a mini-horse blanket might work? Those tend to not be as difficult to get on, nor as restrictive and do keep them plenty warm (Simon Pointer has one - darn if it isn't just darling too!) Also might be good to let him get "acquainted" with puppy clothing, sounds wierd but could be that the whole experience of new smells, new fabric, new everything could be making him a tad skittish.

It sounds like you'll have to revert to training the other humans rather than putting the garbage in a bunker to keep the kitty out :) good luck there :thumbs up

born_a_lion
October 20th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Lol - How do you train an 18 year old slob and a grown man who should know better?! Any training tips on this? Ha ha. :p

As for Ros, the puppers, it is good to know that the one reason we could think of is not so silly after all. They should make a show called "Animals Do The Darndest Things"! Though, I don't blame him - I wouldn't want to go out in the cold Canadian weather either! I will have to tell my mom to pick up one of those mini-horse blankets. It is worth a shot! And tell her not to give up on the idea of booties and such just yet.

Thanks for all your help! :pawprint:

jawert1
October 20th, 2005, 06:02 PM
hahaha now that really is the secret of the universe :) you may also want to have your mom start with "home made" booties, i.e. old socks I'm done with. Simon won't wear boots, but the moment I break out the "outdoor socks"in the winter, he's all ready to have me put them on. I just use a tiny bit of athletic tape around the top to secure them so they don't fall, and we're off.

Speaking of Peculiar Pointer....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/persephonesdoll/PA020001.jpg

MollysMommy
October 21st, 2005, 07:51 PM
They should make a show called "Animals Do The Darndest Things"!
It's so strange that you say that your cat eats plastic. I just watched a British show on Animal Planet that solves weird behaviors in animals. There was a cat that ate plastic too, all kinds. They found that the cat was bored. An increase in playing with toys and building him a screened outdoor playground got rid of most of his weird plastic behavior. So maybe he's just looking for some excitement? The show is called "Barking Mad" by the way.

born_a_lion
October 27th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Jawert1 - Your pup is so adorable!!!! I had a dog that looked like him once, when I was 8 years old. He had red markings though - his name was Hawk. Your little guy is so beautiful.

Mollysmom - I wonder if he could bored!!????! That would shock and astound me. He is really active - probably the most active cat I have ever had. I run up and down our hallway with him. We play hide-and-go-seek with him. We do all sorts of stuff. Our cats have an over-abundance of toys. They also play with each other. And Orlando, on his own, likes to climb curtains (not my favourite pass-time of his, but oh well) and walls. He is very very busy. We have even tried to wear him out before, and it just doesn't seem to happen. Jess is not that active and Deli is at certain times in the day. Orly is active 95% of the time and sleep the other 5. Could he really still be bored? If so, how can I further entertain him?

I know, they are really spoiled! :love: :pawprint:

MollysMommy
October 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM
It certainly sounds like your cat is fully entertained. Being that I have never owned a cat, I'm not really sure what to tell you. All my advice came from Animal Planet. :) Hopefully someone else can help.

MollysMommy
October 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I'd ask your vet next time you go...maybe he/she has come across that before and has some clue to why it happens?

born_a_lion
October 27th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Well, they do have an upcoming appointment. And I do plan on asking. Hopefully we can solve the problem. If not, we are just going to have to keep a watchful eye and make sure that there is nothing he can get into!

Thanks! I love Animal Planet! :pawprint: