Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why bananas?

LM1313
October 18th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I got medicine for Remy's cold from the vet on Saturday and it's not TOO hard to give it to him if I wait until he's napping and sleepy. ;)

The thing that gets me is the medicine smells like bananas. Do cats like bananas? Or is it just to cover up the yuckier smell of medicine for owner and kitty? :pawprint:

~LM~

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 18th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I don't know about cats but my Joey loves bananas. If a banana is left within a few feet its pretty much gone. I dont like the idea of him eating a whole one though, because I think it would make him constipated.

Lucky Rescue
October 18th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Most cats hate the smell of bananas and are repelled by them, although I have seen a couple cats who would eat them!

Some meds for rodents are fruit flavoured. When one of my rats needed ivermectin, it came in grape flavour!

cpietra16
October 18th, 2005, 09:40 PM
I had the same thought. Why not make it smell like tuna or chicken. My vet told me that this is the same medicine that is used for humans and its geared for their taste buds. My friend who is a breeder said that the only difference between the medicine you get at the vets and the medicine you get at the pharmacy is the price. She gets all her perscriptions for her dogs at the local pharmacy....alot cheaper.

doggirl
October 19th, 2005, 05:00 PM
It's crazy. One of my cats needed meds and it was RASPBERRY flavour. I don't know why they don't make cat meds fruit flavours instead of mouse or bird.