Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why?

sjat24
October 18th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Why does Raven just stop in the middle of our walk she just freezes, doesn't wanna move. She'll look at me with sad eyes. She'll do this at least 3-4 times out nowhere during our walks. We'll walk then she'll freeze, then we'll walk again for few more minutes then freeze. Is this normal...?...a game...???

LM1313
October 18th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Is she tired, maybe? *scratches head*

~LM~

sjat24
October 18th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I walk her 3-4 times a day she does this mostly all of our walks. The morning walks sure she could be tired. Hmmm?

sjat24
October 18th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Why does Raven just stop in the middle of our walk she just freezes, doesn't wanna move. She'll look at me with sad eyes. She'll do this at least 3-4 times out nowhere during our walks. We'll walk then she'll freeze, then we'll walk again for few more minutes then freeze. Is this normal...?...a game...???

I also wanted to add that it takes a while to get her walking again, like I got to get down on my knee and sweet talk to her "c'mon lets go" over and over.

Lucky Rescue
October 18th, 2005, 07:30 PM
I doubt it's a game. More likely fear and/or uncertainty of unknown places, things...who knows?

Don't sweet talk or soothe her. Put on a high, happy voice, "ohhh, come ON, let's go let's GO!!" while slapping your leg to urge her foreward. Or try tossing bits of hot dogs in front of you to encourage her, then praise her and get moving quickly.

If she freezes and won't move, turn around and quickly go back the way you came. She needs to know you won't force her into situations that scare her.

sjat24
October 18th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks Deb.
Hmm I wonder if something happened to her before and what could have been. I've had her for almost 3 weeks and she did this since a few days after we got her home. She was a stray, my poor baby I wonder what happened to her.

Shaykeija
October 20th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Missie the Terri poo does this all the time. Annoying until we found out the reason. A big 300 pound bear was in the neighbour hood. She could smell it and scared the crap out of her. So when she freezes up now, I put her in my coat and let her back in the house. The bear pulled a large piece of my apple tree off and ripped down all the bird feeders. FYI I live in the heart of Sudbury.

LavenderRott
October 20th, 2005, 02:21 AM
My brother had a greyhound that did this because he was tired. He was tired because he had a bad heart. Walk routes were modified so that they could be completed before the dog was tired, and paces were modified so that the dog wouldn't get his heart rate too high.

gomez
October 20th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Gomez also does this, but never on the way out for a walk, or on the way to the park, always on the way home, no matter how short or long the walk...!

Even if we just go to the post office, on the way there, nice trotting happy face, on the way back, 10 minutes later, the "Ghandi" protests begin, sometimes he even lies down and pretends to be asleep...

I would love to be able to solve this problem!

happycats
October 20th, 2005, 07:49 AM
I think either Raven doesn't want the walk to end (prolonging it by stopping all the time) or she is stopping because she smells something in the air, (does her nose go, when she stops?) . Or maybe her previous owner abused her :sad: a neighbors dog does this to, because her previous owner only took her out to do her business, so she would constantly yank on her leash to stop her and yell go, go!! and bring her right back home as soon as she went.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 20th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Joey does this too he will just sit and refuse too budge. He would do it in the exact same spot everyday.A creek behind the house. (I believe he could have been scared of the beaver that lived in there) I would encourage him to go further sometimes he would agree to go about 20 ft than would stop again. I think I took him to that area enough because now he is fine and will walk right to the end without stopping.
Joey also stopped dead in his tracks on his walk the other day, we were about three miles from home. This time he was carrying his stuffie with him. I took the stuffie back and he started walking again right of way. I gave it back to him closer to home and all was well.