Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat is vomiting green liquid

writerjim
September 5th, 2003, 01:22 AM
Our cat has vomited twice inside of about 2 hours. HE's a 4-year old tabby. The first time there were chunks of food (unchewed it seemed) with this green liquid and the second time he threw up all green liquid. Is this an emergency situation ? What would the best advice be on dealing with this ? We did not notice him eating anything strange but he certainly could have gotten into something.

Wacky
September 5th, 2003, 01:32 AM
Is he showing any other signs of distress, or just acting normal? If he doesn't do it again, and otherwise is acting normal, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If he continues vomiting, or shows any other signs of distress, then a call to the vet is in order, fairly soon I would think. Maybe write down the times he vomited and what it was just to keep track, in case this happens again. I keep a little daily calendar handy to write down anything unusual with our kitties, and it helps immensely when it comes to figuring out what might be wrong.

You might want to consider the possibility of hairballs. If he is a cat that goes outdoors, then this could be a lot of things. If he stays only inside, try to make sure there wasn't anything he could have gotten into that's dangerous for kitties.

Other than that, I guess I can't think of anything off the top of my head. I hope everything turns out okay for you.

Jocelyn
September 5th, 2003, 11:59 AM
If he does not show any other signs it could just be hairballs, however if it is green vomit, that should be a concern.

If he's an outdoor cat or has access to a garage, I hope it's not Antifreeze. It's Deadly and will kill your cat if not caught at the first signs of injestion.

Signs of poisoning: There are three stages of ethylene glycol poisoning:

Stage 1: 0-12 hours after ingestion, nervous system signs develop including mild depression, ataxia, knuckling, seizures, hyperexcitability, stupor, rarely coma, and death. These signs are similar to acute alcohol intoxication and resemble drunkenness. Other symptoms may include lack of appetite, vomiting, drop in body temperature, and an increase in drinking and urination.

Stage 2: 12-24 hours after ingestion, cardiovascular system signs including increased heart rate and an increased respiratory rate can be seen.

Stage 3: 12-72 hours after ingestion, kidneys are affected. Symptoms include severe depression, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, kidney failure, and death.

Definately take him to the vet if you see this green liquid again.

If he is an indoor cat, it could be also poisons from a toxic plant. Go check your house plants to see if there are chew marks.

Check this website to see if you have one of these plants:
http://www.maxshouse.com/Toxic_Plants%20_Index.htm