Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to improve my Malamute's coat?

Gripenfelter
October 18th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I brush his coat forward 2-3 times everyday but right now he's out of coat and looking like a coyote.

http://members.shaw.ca/skin_industries/Zeus1.jpg

One judge last weekend said he looked like a coyote and didn't award him any points, the other judge on the following day gave him a point anyways because he was obedient, well behaved, and seemed to be happy being in the ring.

http://members.shaw.ca/skin_industries/ribbons.jpg

What can I do to make his coat poofier or to encourage growth so he will look like this guy?

http://members.shaw.ca/skin_industries/Max1.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/skin_industries/Max2.jpg

Zeus did have a decent coat about 3 weeks before the show. It wasn't like the above dog but it was decent.

If he does well at the November show and gets more points, I will put off getting him neutered till spring. Otherwise right after the show *snip* *snip*.

Prin
October 18th, 2005, 02:54 PM
What is he eating? Maybe he needs more fish in his diet. :)

Lissa
October 18th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Aside from feeding premium food (maybe try adding omega 3/6 fatty acids), a lot of show people rely on texturizer products to fluff out the coat.

shannon1233A
October 18th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Hi Gripenfelter, nice to see you and Zeus! He's a beautiful boy. I've found with Kenz there's many factors involved with her coat. Btw, it's like they know it's show time and start blowing coat in time to to completely out of coat just before a show, lol. Kenz did the same but still won the Best Senior Puppy in Sweepsteaks then went on to win Best in Sweepsteaks over 41 entrys even though she was out of coat. I've found different judges put different attributes in order of importance in the ring, after all, it's all opinion although they judge according as to how your dog meets the standards.

Back to coat, I brush and comb Kenz once a day, but have learned through her breeder and groomer that the way it's done is as important as doing it. You must be careful, not to break the new guard hairs, and be sure to remove all undercoat as it's ready, but not force it. The skin has to breath. Gosh it takes me about 2 hours to groom Kenz each day from start to finish, and that's without a bath, and out of coat. She's just getting her coat back so I'm sure it's going to take longer as it comes in. Thank goodness she loves being groomed! I'll post a pic of her win with the judges in the picture forum, but keep in mind, she was completely out of coat. I use Line Combing to do her and she is on Eagle Pack Holistic Anchoivie(sp) food, and gets green beans since she started her diet. I've found that has helped as well. The way the Mal is combed, brushed and how you use the dryer are the tricks of the trade I've learned.

Edited to add: Remember Alaskan Malamute must be show naturally, WITHOUT ANY products in their coat.

Gripenfelter
October 18th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Yeah recently he's been eating a lot of carrots and treats because I was training him for showing so his appetite went way down when it came to eating his dog food.

He was eating 2 1/2 cups of dog food with either 1 carrot or potato (he is scrawny) or 1 slice of cantaloupe, and treats for training.

For the past week I've been feeding him just 3 cups of dog food and 2 tooney sized slices of chicken sausage for training. His dog food is First Mate High Performance, which is what the breeder feeds all of her dogs. It has fish and chicken in it. He won't anymore than 3 cups per day.

Would yogurt help? Cheese? Oily foods? Where would I get omega 3/6 fatty acids?

Lissa
October 18th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Edited to add: Remember Alaskan Malamute must be show naturally, WITHOUT ANY products in their coat.

OOPS!! Sorry I didn't know about that rule!!! :o

My vet sells a combination of omega fatty acids but so will some pet stores...

I actually go to natural food store for people - they have a pet section and of course, better quality products!

Puppyluv
October 18th, 2005, 11:26 PM
I give my girl the same omega 3/6/9 that I take, it's just a gel-capsule with nothing but Omegas, a stabilizer and a preservative. (I just checked with my vet on dosage first.)

If you're worried about decreased appetite because you're training with treats? Why not train with kibble?
How are his stools? Are they an accurate reflection of the three cups going in, or does it seem like too much is coming out the other end?

Gripenfelter
October 19th, 2005, 09:06 AM
He's a perfectly healthy dog. His stool is fine and his appetite is fine. He just blew off all of his coat so he looks like a coyote. I was just looking for something that would help him get his coat back faster in time for the November North Winds dog show.

Someone at the Petcetera mentioned to get live culture yogurt and low fat cheese?