Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feel good food?

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 10:35 PM
What food makes you feel good? Some people say a good fruit, others (like me) prefer chocolate or other junk... What food makes your day go that much better? (I'm curious as to the alternatives to chocolate... :o )

jiorji
October 17th, 2005, 10:40 PM
there's no fruit that can makes me feel as good as Krispy Kreme...*drool*

....that and POUTINE!!

this isn't good! I realized they had poutine gravy at the supermarket and i stocked up!! this is not good. not goooooddd... Nicht gut!!

My mom will be horrified when she comes to visit and sees my friedge. I'm off to the store to buy a cheap bottle of wine to make the gravy look better. :evil:

But you gotta give Quebeckers some credit....they shove anything in that poutine! Even peas!! eewwww peas do not belong in poutine! something went way wrong when the Natives passed on the poutine recipes to the French back in the day. :D

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Oh, ya- go to a real hard-core Quebecois poutine place and you might even find "poutine salad". They try their best to make it a complete meal. :D

BTW the "Nicht Gut" made me lol! :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 17th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I love Perogies with bacon, melted cheese and smothered in sour cream. while I am eating them I feel so good. But of course I eat a ridculous amount of them.... and then I feel not so good. :sick:

Puppyluv
October 17th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Hmm food that really makes me feel good.... it depends on whether I'm hungry or not, or "just eating" If I'm hungry, then it's a fried egg, tomato and lettuce sandwhich on toasted 12 grain bread. Or a grilled cheese with really good cheese, and pear sliced in it. My dad's beef stew. YUM. Soooo feel good! Or a whipped omlette (has to be whipped, so that it's really thick and fluffy) Those are the "fill me up with warmth and goodness" foods.
Chicken soup makes me feel good :D (I just realized that since I'm cold right now, I'm only going to list warm food, but if you had asked this a month or two ago, my answers would be very different) Or vanilla steamed milk. I actually don't like chocolate at all, so I've never been a "oh my goodness I NEED some chocolate RIGHT now" person.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 17th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Mashed potatoes, especially the roasted garlic flavour. Now I am getting hungry.

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 11:46 PM
If I'm hungry, then it's a fried egg, tomato and lettuce sandwhich on toasted 12 grain bread. Is that the sandwich from "Spanglish"? Oh, and you're not my friend anymore. You don't like chocolate at all, so it'll never work out. :D

JECM- wat up with all the starches? :D Common theme?

Puppyluv
October 17th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Is that the sandwich from "Spanglish"?
It's exactly that sandwich! But I've been eating them since long before the movie came out :D
The chocolate thing isn't my fault! I swear! When I was young, the dr's thought I was allergic to chocolate (it turned out I was allergic to the thing they used to perform the allergy test :rolleyes: ) So I wasn't allowed to eat it until I was 9. By which point I was scared to eat it, and never got around to really eating it until I was 12. By then, it was just odd to me. Also, I can't taste "bitter" so dark chocolate, tea, coffee, etc all taste bland to me, so that doesn't help.
That's why I'm such a fan of steamed milk.... when all my friends were drinking ho cho, I was having that. (With vanilla and honey of course :D)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 17th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Prin=
JECM- wat up with all the starches? Common theme?

I love those starches, now give me some poutine. :D

Anti Atkins all the way baby. :evil:

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Well, Puppyluv, I wish I was you. I hate bitter. My teas and hot chocolates have to be so weak and sweet- nobody else likes them (except my bf). Well, my hot c people like, but only as a treat. :D

JECM- bring it on! I'm on that diet too... (no perogies though :yuck: )

Puppyluv
October 17th, 2005, 11:55 PM
I spent a year on a serious poutine binge-fest. I don't ever want to see that stuff again :yuck:
That being said, if I hadn't eaten so much of it, it would still be on my list of feel-good food.

Prin
October 18th, 2005, 12:03 AM
You both with your meals made me think of a few more for me...
Bagels with butter... Mmmmmm.
Lipton pretend Chicken noodle soup. We used to have it when we were done skiing in elementary school (we had downhill skiing for phys ed in the winter). It was the only time I ever got a cool lunch. :(
Roast beef...
Sausages... (the nasty breakfast kind that have no ingredient lists...)
Milk
Hot chocolate.. (with whip)

wow, JECM goes for starch, I go for fat salty proteins. :o

Puppyluv
October 18th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Lipton pretend Chicken noodle soup. We used to have it when we were done skiing in elementary school (we had downhill skiing for phys ed in the winter). It was the only time I ever got a cool lunch. :(

Yumm the only kind! With more salt than you need for a week (which is what makes it sooo good :D) Actually my favorite was "Alligator Soup" (You better eat them before they eat you, but they don't make it any more) (for those that didn't know it, it was lipton chicken noodle with alligator-shaped noodles)
Oh and The grilled cheese has to be with a bowl of tomato soup :thumbs up

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 18th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Mr Noodles, pour out the water, add the sauce packet, then butter and frozen veggies on occasion to just pretend its a healthy meal.

Rick C
October 18th, 2005, 12:50 AM
An ice, ice, ice cold bottle of water makes me feel good . . . . even on a winter day.

I've been known to take Abby & Keeper through the drive-thru at Dairy Queen for a dipped ice cream cone when its 25 below zero. Through the shivering, that also makes me feel good.

But, for pure feel good pretty much anything coming out of Mrs. C's kitchen.

Mrs. C's incredible rice pudding hot off the griddle.

Mrs. C's incredible Santa Fe ribs hot off the barbecue.

Mrs. C's incredible potato pancakes hot off the griddle.

Lotsa stuff.

http://www.goldentales.ca/hot12.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 18th, 2005, 12:58 AM
mmmm I love potatoe pancakes. There we go with the starches again

shannonRN
October 18th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Poutine? :confused: That's probably not on my list.

Oreos with milk
Fruit loops cereal
Buttermilk pancakes with real maple syrup
A very large mug of real cappucino

Come to think of it, I haven't had any of these in a very long time :(
As far as things that I eat often, I'd have to say that legumes are my comfort food. I am such a bean-eater, they just are so filling and comfy and high carb. Boo, Atkins diet!
And you just can't beat a good barbecue. Grill it, and I'll eat it. :p

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 18th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Poutine is french fries and gravy with like cheese curds on it. As best as I can remember. I think you can get one with spaghetti sauce on it too. I visited friends in Montreal a while back and they introduced it to me. Now they sell it here at New York Fries I think maybe I have their version about twice a year.

shannonRN
October 18th, 2005, 01:46 PM
That's, um, interesting...
:D Just kidding. I'm sure like many things, it's best experienced first-hand.
We used to go to this bar&grill place (has since been bulldozed http://www.spacespider.net/emo/sad006.gif) where they served "hammers"--fries loaded up with chili, cheese, onions, and jalapenos---YUM.

Speaking of fries loaded up with garbage, there's a place in Rochester that originated "the garbage plate"--a plate loaded up with french or home fries and other junk, meant to be all slopped together. Never had it, don't plan to...but it's a Rochester tradition and many people swear by this meal.
As it's served:
http://www.geocities.com/garbageplates/before.jpg
After mixing together:
http://www.geocities.com/garbageplates/after.jpg

Anyhoo, Fries are pretty tasty no matter what you do to them.

jessi76
October 18th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Feel good: Cool Ranch Doritos

Feel REALLY good: Ben & Jerry's. (any flavor will do)

Roxy's_MA
October 18th, 2005, 02:07 PM
This thread was making me hungry....until I saw that plate of food all mixed. :rolleyes: I guess I am one of those freaks who doesn't like my food touching my other food.

I love the starches everything Joey's mom mentioned. Mashed potatoes, perogies, and mmmmmm patatoe pancakes yum oh and I can't forget the Poutine aka heart attack fries

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 18th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Well ShannonRN you turned me off of food for the day. :sick: Thanks I was really worried I was gonna go pig out after reading this thread. :D

Prin
October 18th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Yeah, my dog made that dish for me a few times when he ate funny things he shouldn't have... Trust me, poutine is tastier than that goop. Looks like prison food, if we were allowed to treat them that badly.. :D

mafiaprincess
October 18th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Feel good stuff..

Any flavour of cheesecake.. especially chocolate with raspberries
Peanut m and m's
Pepsi
english muffin bacon and cheese sandwichs

And now anything my new boyfriend wants to cook.. I have never been such a fan of eating till now, lol.

Puppyluv
October 18th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Poutine is french fries and gravy with like cheese curds on it. As best as I can remember. I think you can get one with spaghetti sauce on it too.
Michigan style!! Yes!! You can get Michigan Style Hotdogs too.
Poutine... IMO it's the grossest thing imaginable, until you put that first forkfull in your mouth.. then it becomes pure heaven

jjgeonerd
October 18th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Cheesecake with fresh fruit topping (whatever is in season). It's good any time of day or night...no matter what you just ate, how much you just ate, or what you are planning on eating.

Now I need to go make a cheesecake! :D

melanie
October 18th, 2005, 06:31 PM
thats jsut grose, that plate above looks like a plate of maggots, yuuuuccccckkkkk.

with the stuff you eat, im surprised that a) there are any of you left alive to tell the tale and not be dead fo heart disease and b) that each restaruant does not have a defiblirator on the walls for that quick jump start during meals :D

fruit fruit and fruit, especially stone fruits, nothing revs me up like a big sweet juicy plum or peach, oh to die for.......

oh and jelly beans, they make me feel good to when i get that glucose in me, raaaaaa.

but friut is it for me, i have been known to make myself sick with cherries or plums, happens at least once a year, i cnat control myself around stone fruits, ahhh thank the gods summer is hear and those queenslanders will be sending the peaches my way.....

i never got cheese cake, never even tasted it, i dont get how cheese can be in a cake, sour and sweet to me, how the hell does that work. but i make the best cheese cake, or so im told, i make a great mars bar cheese cake with swirls of choc in the middle, never would taste it but sure looks pretty and like the one in the book which makes me just as happy... :D

Puppyluv
October 18th, 2005, 10:07 PM
I'm with Mel on the stonefruit, except the season is so short in Canada, and the imported stuff just doesn't do it for me. But ohhhhh cherries... those are summer to me!!

I can't stand cheesecake! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: It makes me feel so sick!!!!

Oh and for all y'all who don't know poutine: (not my computer/poutine)

Prin
October 19th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Nah, the gravy is too thick on that poutine (I like mine with half a heart attack, not a double.) :D

shannonRN
October 19th, 2005, 03:45 AM
:sorry: Oops. Sorry to take the thread on a turn for the worse, exactly the opposite of the topic. ONce the poutine was mentioned, I just got off on a french fry tangent, I guess.

Something else that makes my day whenever I can have it...
http://massiveselector.com/newsletter/may2004/sushi.jpg
.....sushi with wasabi.

shannonRN
October 19th, 2005, 04:14 AM
did I read you right, Mafia? :eek: You got a new guy? Well, I think you should re-open your dating thread and tell us about him. A man who cooks is always a step ahead in my book...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 19th, 2005, 10:20 AM
ShannonRN =
Speaking of fries loaded up with garbage, there's a place in Rochester that originated "the garbage plate"--a plate loaded up with french or home fries and other junk, meant to be all slopped together. Never had it, don't plan to...but it's a Rochester tradition and many people swear by this meal.
As it's served:

Whats the brown and orange item in the before picture? :eek:

Prin
October 19th, 2005, 09:29 PM
No, no, Mafia needs a NEW thread for the NEW guy. New thread! New thread! :)

shannonRN
October 25th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Whats the brown and orange item in the before picture?

That appears to be 2 hamburger patties covered with orange processed cheese slices, some sort of chili, and onions. :yuck: