Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi Everyone! I'm new here. Have a question

TheWhitePhoenix
October 17th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks all in advance for reading....I have a 4 month old yorkie pom cross...he is very healthy and active...my only problem is he is very fussy. He only eats a few bites of his food about a cup a day and I've tried all different kinds (in moderation of course) Iams,pedigree,puppy chow....he'll eat a bit but not as much as he should be. He is gaining weight and is now 11.5 lbs...last time I went to the vet he advised Iams which he didn't eat so I'm back to square one. He plays outside alot and aside from chewing on some leaves and sticks before I get the chance to grab them out of his mouth and say no he also has in the past eaten kitty tootsie rolls (if you know what I mean) Now the cat box is in a room he has no access to thats under control. I don't give him people food but I know if I did that's all he would eat. I don't know how he's staying alive, gaining weight, happy and healthy. I havent tried him on moist or canned food yet. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Go here, there's another discussion about puppy food:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

You can also take a gander at the dog food forum here:
Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)

Iams, Puppy chow, and all that are not great foods. If you look at the puppy food threads in the dog food forum, there are links to all sorts of good foods. ;)

LavenderRott
October 17th, 2005, 11:02 PM
First off, all of the dog foods you have tried have way to much garbage in them and not enough stuff to make it worth your dogs while to eat it. Second off, a dog of this size does not require a cup of food a day. I have a pom - he gets a little less then half a cup of dog food a day. Canidae - the good stuff.

Both poms and yorkies are tiny breeds. Standard calls from 3 to 7 pounds. If your dog weighs 11.5 pounds, you may want to see if you can feel the ribs. If you can feel them, then your pup is at a good weight. If you can't, then your pup is overweight and this may well cause problems with those little legs as your dog grows older.

Dogastrophe
October 18th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Welcome to the board.

Consider a switch to a premium food. While the cost per bag will almost always be higher and may give you a case of sticker shock, you will be feeding less per meal. In the end, the cost of feeding per month will generally be about the same BUT your dog will be eating good food. Keep a good eye on his weight. 11.5 lbs at 4 mos may be a bit on the chunky side (depending of course on the parents and how well they met the standard).

BMDLuver
October 18th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Welcome to the board!

I would hazard a guess, if your little one is not overweight, that the Pom in him is most likely one of the large one's which range to 25lbs. 4 months and already that weight would lead me to believe that. I've found that both breeds are fussy eaters. As suggested, pick a premium food and stick with it. He'll learn to get used to just that as his food and not hope for something different to come along. Premium food means smaller quantity but much better nutrition with that smaller amount.

TheWhitePhoenix
October 18th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Thanks everyone....Mushu's father was about 25 lbs. His mother was about 7lbs. I have no problem feeding him premium food but I want to know if he'll eat it before I spend 25$ on a small bag. Does anyone know where I can get samples to try first?

I'm currently searching for a better vet who would offer better advice than to feed him Iams.

Thanks again all....and sorry I posted my question in the introductions...won't happen again.

Puppyluv
October 18th, 2005, 08:02 AM
A lot of stores will offer samples of the dog foods they sell. Also, since a lot of the premium brands only sell at small, independent stores, they are really good about taking it back. (As an example, I feed my dog Wellness, and the store where I buy it told me right off the bat, that if she won't eat it, or I'm just not happy with it, they will take the bag back no questions asked.)
Once you have some foods in mind just start calling local stores that carry them, and ask them about their policies.
Good luck!
And don't forget to post photos of your fur-baby when you get a chance!

Dogastrophe
October 18th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Both of the supply stores that I frequent have the same food policy as Puppyluv mentioned. If the dog doesn't like it, bring it back for a refund.

As for weight, after posting my first response, I got thinking about how big my Jack was when we adopted him (best we can tell he is a Silky mix - likely silky mother, yorkie father). He was about 5 to 5 1/2 mos old and weighed 9.5 lbs (he is now 10 mos old and is 16 lbs), soooo .... 11.5 lbs at 4 mos isn't really that large (with the larger pom in the mix).

Be sure to post a pic (you can never post too many!!)

:pawprint:

SnowDancer
October 18th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Your pup's weight might well be fine considering the Yorkie/Pom Cross. The "feel the ribs" test is a good way to determine if your dog is over or under weight. I personally don't know how to do it - I have an American Eskimo who can look thin by flattening his fur when wanting a cookie or like a plump chicken when pleased with himself. He is 18 months and weighs 22 lbs. which apparently is ideal for him - but after being weighed, the vet always feels the ribs. He is a small standard - other standards weigh 35 lbs. so hard to know what is right for your dog. Eskies do LOVE their food - just have to watch that I give him corn free. The Pom in your pup may also have this sensitivity. I feed my Eskie one cup a day of "his" food - 1/2 in a.m. and another at dinner - but supplemented of course by his wheat free gourmet cookies and his bedtime snack. Plus he does love people food - I am just careful as to what I give him - but at supper time he is ready for our food. My dog does best on human grade fish based food. Right now it is Fromm's Four Star Salmon A La Veg - although he can handle the Duck and Sweet Potato - Fish seems best for Eskies.