Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some fast info please

Me and Kayla
October 17th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Kayla had 4 infected paws a couple weeks ago, and saw the vet who put her on antibiotics. We had to keep her feet dry and keep her away from grasses, the lake, bushes..etc. No problem. Ten days later...all better. Yesterday she started fussing over her paws again. Today they are badly infected again. It's just happening so regularly and so fast. We are back at the vet again tomorrow, and probably going to have to do the antibiotic thing again. The vet says that 'paw problems' are common in Pitties. However, I feel like I'm living at the vet these days. She also has developed dry patches around the mouth and is losing her fur on the jaw. This is new today too. Don't know if it is related.

Any suggestions folks as to how to get this problem cured once and for all and keep her paws healthy? I am going to look into booties for her but the vet says that keeping the paws dry and aired is best. With the fall and winter around the corner, I just don't see how that is going to be possible. Anyone else have this problem with their fur babies?

Me and Kayla

TiffyT
October 17th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Is it all four paws? Tops of feet or the actual pads?

Also, wondering if this could possibly be an allergic reaction as opposed to an infection.

My dog kept getting an abscess in one paw so the vet had to open the paw up last week and low and behold it was full of scar tissue and infection. He said that he probably got sometype of foreign object wedged in there (splinter, etc.) and caused the problem.

Wishes for the best!

Me and Kayla
October 17th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Is it all four paws? Tops of feet or the actual pads?

Also, wondering if this could possibly be an allergic reaction as opposed to an infection.

Wishes for the best!

It is all four paws. Some are worse than others, but I think that is more from her worrying them. It is the skin between the toes, and arounds the pads. I suspect it is allergy related too, but to what? We've looked at the diet and eliminated anything that could be giving her a problem. We've kept her off the grass and on the pavement only for all her walks. Not sure what else we can eliminate. I don't have any carpeting, and I don't use chemicals on the floors.

:(

Lucky Rescue
October 17th, 2005, 08:18 PM
What are you feeding her? Some dogs have a problem with food too "hot" or high in protein, and do get itchy inflamed paws.

TiffyT
October 17th, 2005, 08:19 PM
My dog is horribly allergic to grasses of different types. This time of the year is when he has his worst flare ups. His paws itch and he licks them constantly. I wipe them with a washcloth everytime he comes back in from the yard. He also takes an antihistamine twice a day to limit his allergy symptoms. When he gets really bad, like right now, he takes prednisone which really calms the allergies. Sounds like something similar in your dog.

I would talk to your vet about this as a possibility.

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Jemma's feet get raw from ragweed. They get insanely itchy and she gnaws on them till there is no fur left between her toes and they start to swell up. It's almost over but in Montreal, it's from the end of July to October or the first frost. You can look here to see what allergens are present in your area at which times of the year: Claritin Pollen Report (http://www.theweathernetwork.com/features/pollen/)

Puppyluv
October 17th, 2005, 09:10 PM
When Layla had her infected paw, along with antibiotics, the vet told me to soak her paw in 1 litre of warm water with a cap-full of bleach, for 3 minutes twice a day. It worked wonders for clearing it up.

Me and Kayla
October 17th, 2005, 09:10 PM
What are you feeding her? Some dogs have a problem with food too "hot" or high in protein, and do get itchy inflamed paws.

She is a BARF dog, so most of her diet consists of protein, bone and veggies. She also gets vitamin supplements. Kibble gives her problems, so we don't feed her it anymore. And, right now, she is only on Turkey, veggies and vitamins, to eliminate most allergens. If protein is a problem, then she's doomed!

Me and Kayla

Puppyluv
October 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM
If her only protein is turkey, she should be fine, but if it is causing problems, fish, venison, duck, or a vegan diet are all possible options.

Me and Kayla
October 17th, 2005, 09:15 PM
My dog is horribly allergic to grasses of different types. This time of the year is when he has his worst flare ups. His paws itch and he licks them constantly. I wipe them with a washcloth everytime he comes back in from the yard. He also takes an antihistamine twice a day to limit his allergy symptoms. When he gets really bad, like right now, he takes prednisone which really calms the allergies. Sounds like something similar in your dog.

I would talk to your vet about this as a possibility.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to mention this.

Unfortunately, the vet has vetoed any moisture or bathing etc. She wants them kept completely dry. It is very tempting to want to clean them up by bathing them, but I'm afraid it is going to create more problems. Hence, I think we are going to have to try to fight this from an internal stand point.

Me and Kayla

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I wash them, but only in warm water- no soap, nothing. Everything stings. :(

Me and Kayla
October 17th, 2005, 09:19 PM
If her only protein is turkey, she should be fine, but if it is causing problems, fish, venison, duck, or a vegan diet are all possible options.

Well, it was interesting, because when we started the barf diet, it was because she had so many allergy symptoms. The raw food cleared up most of them except a dry skin problem, so we dropped all the meat except turkey, which cleared up that problem. And, for the most part, she's been great on this diet since. However, now she is starting to show allergy symptoms again. Could she have developed an allergy to the turkey now? I'm running out of stuff to feed her. :(

Puppyluv
October 17th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Could she have developed an allergy to the turkey now?
It's possible, as food allergies do come with time and exposure. (I'm not saying that's what it is though.)
I would reccomend asking the vet about bleaching the feet while they're healing, anything that's in there will die.

Lucky Rescue
October 17th, 2005, 09:33 PM
It's possible it's the protein. You might want to try a food based on fish instead.

I really don't know, but it's worth a try. My friend had two Westies with horrible allergies and she was told to feed Fish and Potato dog food.....

IF you decide to try it - or stay with your BARF diet but use fish, maybe salmon - you need to give it a few months to see if it makes a difference.

I hope you can find out what the problem is!!

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Might be environmental or seasonal allergies too. ;)

Me and Kayla
October 17th, 2005, 10:08 PM
It's possible it's the protein. You might want to try a food based on fish instead.

I really don't know, but it's worth a try. My friend had two Westies with horrible allergies and she was told to feed Fish and Potato dog food.....

IF you decide to try it - or stay with your BARF diet but use fish, maybe salmon - you need to give it a few months to see if it makes a difference.

I hope you can find out what the problem is!!

We had her on salmon, but the vet took her off it. Thought that could be causing problems. I think she suggested white fish would be the next thing we try. But if protein is the problem, then that won't help either.

Allergies are a pain to access in animals!!!

Me and Itchy

Puppyluv
October 17th, 2005, 10:12 PM
White fish is usually a lower-allergen food than red fish. That's what is usually in hypoallergenic foods. (Yay for white fish and sweet potatoes :D )

Me and Kayla
October 18th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Well, back from the vet, with a new dose of antibiotic (3 weeks worth this time), and a bottle of antihistamines.

No bathing and keeping them dry is the vet's order.

As for the big question...'what are the allergies'? No answers, but the vet says that he has a ton of patients in with the same problems (some worse and other's not as bad as hers).

thanks for all the support folks!

Me and Kayla

raingirl
October 18th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Someone who used to be here, her dog was allergic to all meat protein and went on a vegetarian kibble. Might be your last option. Her dog was a mess. itchy ALL the time, bald patches, dry skin. I think they have a vegetarian kibble called Avoderm Vegetarian.

I would try that maybe, slowly at first, and see if it helps over a few months. In the meantime, you will have to give anti-histamines to stop the irritation.

jessi76
October 18th, 2005, 12:49 PM
She also has developed dry patches around the mouth and is losing her fur on the jaw. This is new today too. Don't know if it is related.

Did the vet say anything about that? Have you had a skin scraping done to rule out mites?

I think you may want to look at a connection between the dry patches, and her feet problems. It may be more than just an allergy. Have you seen a vet-dermatologist? It may be costly, but I just wanted to suggest something else if the allergy theory doesn't pan out.

(I do hope it is just an allergy and you identify it soon and get her on the mend!)

TiffyT
October 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM
For what its worth, I finally broke down and had a very expensive blood test done at my vets to find out exactly what my shih tzu is allergic to. The blood was analyzed by Spectrum Labs and they sent me a large packet of info explaining what he is allergic to and what foods he can eat.

Much to my surprise, after feeding him ground turkey for the longest time, I learned that he is allergic to all things poultry. Also, many other foods and fillers. This was very helpful in determining what I could feed him. I have noticed a big difference now that he no longer eats the items that he is allergic to.

Me and Kayla
October 19th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Mites? Nothing was ever suggested that they might be the problem. If she had mites, wouldn't she be scratching a lot? Vet does think that the two problems (jaw and feet) are related though.

As for the diet.....I've taken her off the poultry and I am giving her white fish and sweet potato only.