Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Am I crazy to get two Malamutes?

Gripenfelter
October 17th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Well my male Mal is 10 1/2 months old and I think I did a fairly good job of raising him. I'm thinking about getting him a female (spayed) puppy to keep him company since another male would not get along with him.

Am I crazy in wanting to get two mals or would I be better off getting a female dog of a different breed? :crazy:

Roxy's_MA
October 17th, 2005, 04:29 PM
I believe the only thing better than a dog is two dogs. There are plenty of beauties up for adoption http://www.malamuterescue.com/

I am no Malmute expert, so if you shouldn't have to Malmutes together go ahead and correct me. I know a guy who fosters for this rescue and they have some of the most beautiful dogs.

yoda900_ca
October 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Having two Malamutes is fine esp. If one is a female.Females general submit to males. Your male will "run the show" You can even have 2 males. You have to remember they are a primative breed and have a STRONG pack drive. When ever you bring in a new pet around a Malmaute you absolutly must make sure the dog understand you are the head of the pack.If you do decide to bring in a new male i would take a younger dog(under 1yr) introduce him slowly. If any aggression breaks out put a stop to it right away. Don't fawn over the new arrival 2 much or your Zeus could think he is being demoted in the pack and that could lead to problems(ie retaliation to the new guy or gal) They do work together as sled dogs so you just need to be a firm leader if u take on more than one. At this young age it would be easier. Many fellow Mal owner get a second one while the first is still on the uong side. Beaware 2 that the pair will act like a pack and MAY gang up if a new dog comes over to vist. Malamute rescue Has LOADS of info about working with the breed. It's very helpful even if you decide to stay w/just your one. Best of luck :fingerscr

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Do you mean females submit to males in mals only? Because in every other breed I know of, the female is the alpha...

yoda900_ca
October 17th, 2005, 06:10 PM
YES the female malamute will submit to the male unless you have an extremly submissive male. In a sled group however there are usually and alpha male and female. The other males will submit to the alpha female but she will submit to the alpha male. They tend to act like the high archy of a wolf pack. Remove the alpha male of the group and another will move up in rank.

LavenderRott
October 17th, 2005, 11:09 PM
At 10 1/2 months old, I don't think you are done raising him. Working dogs take longer to mature.

Personally, I would wait before getting another dog. But that is just my opinion.

SnowDancer
October 18th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I would wait. Also, it might not hurt to check around and see if other people have one Malamute and say another breed. I have an American Eskimo who is a little sweetie to me and his control group - they are really one people dogs - but no way would I have 2 Eskimos and a few people who I have spoken with who do have 2 Eskies wish they had chosen a different breed as a brother/sister - just one strong enough to handle the rough play. There are other breeds that would be a better match for him. As for sex, I would go for a female as well since you have a male.

Gripenfelter
October 18th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Thanx guys.

If we get another one, it wouldn't be till sometime late next year at the earliest. I posted Zeus's age in case someone thought it would be better for them to meet when they are both young.

I'd love two males, but I know it will be a lot more work keeping them in check.

mona_b
October 18th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Do I think your crazy?Not at all.

If you think you can handle another,then go for it.... :D

I was at a BBQ a few weeks ago that one of the guys from work had.He had 3 beautiful Mals,Kion,Asko and Yanna(yes all fixed :D )..They were amazing dogs that all got along..There was no rough playing at all.I asked why,Dave said it was for the love of the breed.A breed that he researched for a very long time.

I find nothing wrong with have 2 or more of the same breeds.My sister has 3 Siberian Huskies,Sydney,Mandy(Amanda) and Kellie, who get along great.And I raised 2 male GSD'S.

This is just my opinion..... :)

Prin
October 18th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Do two mutts count as the same breed? Yes? Then I agree wholeheartedly.