Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Drying out wrinkles

raingirl
October 17th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Previously when we needed to dry out Odin's wrinkles, we used a little Zinc Oxide cream (the stuff for diaper rash) and it was fine.

I was cleaning Odin's wrinkles and noticed the last time I put zinc oxide in, it didn't dry it up all that well, and now it's stuck in there and all moist. Doesn't appear to be infected or anything, as it's not red. We washed them out as best we could, but that zinc oxide stuff is practically waterproof, even with soap (I know because it's hard to wash of my fingers).

Someone suggested using a little hydrogen peroxide to dry out the area as well, which has helped as well a little, but not 100%.

I can't seem to keep them dry right now. I don't know if it's the weather or possible fall allergies causing it, but they are so moist and gunky when I go to clean them out each day. It's never been like this.

All the websites/books I have read suggest gentle soap first, then cornstarch/gold bond second, then zinc oxide as a last resort.

I'm wondering if it could be a yeast infection in his wrinkles since it is whitish? I thought it was left over zinc oxide, but maybe I'm wrong? Some people I know with bullies say that gentle face wash like spectrogel is great, because you can put some in and let it sit, then wipe it out.

I know I'm ranting, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? We have a medicated drying shampoo with tar which the vet gave us for stuff like this, but it's hard to get into his wrinkles and he doesn't like the smell so he won't let us try. I know if we go to the vet, that is what they will tell us to use.

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I don't know, but geez you take good care of that bugger. :highfive:

raingirl
October 17th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I know. He is SOOOO high maintenaince, but we love him to death. He is also a little stinky lately and I think it's the wrinkles. Grr...

I just feel so bad for him sometimes. He looks at me all sad like. And I know he hates to have his face cleaned, but he will sit for it most of the time. His face wrinkles (nose wrinkle) is so tight and deep, I can only fit one finger in it, and it is so deep it almost goes to my first knukle!

jawert1
October 17th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I've found that adding a bit of plain yogurt or some other source of acidophillus to normal food will clear up yeast issues (if you think that might be it) pretty quickly (my pointer has trouble with yeast and his skin). The upside is no smell like the tar shampoos and they think they're getting a treat :)

raingirl
October 17th, 2005, 02:45 PM
we tried yogurt but his poop was way too soft. I don't think dairy gets along well with him. I have acidophulis pills. Could i open them up and sprinkle on his food?

jawert1
October 17th, 2005, 02:53 PM
I don't see why not, it's not as though they're like other manufactured drugs that have all that high tech pill coating and such. Or you could even hide one in peanut butter (or however he would normally take pills) if by some chance the smell of it set him off his food.