Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

min daschund been throwing up

yuki
October 17th, 2005, 10:57 AM
i have a min. daschund. he's about over 5 months. lately he's been throwing up, first it was on last 3 weeks, he vomitted something similar to his poop < black and hard > and for the last couple of days, he's been throwing up his food and something like saliva, which i think is the acid of his stomach.
there are couple of things that i think i need to mention

we have been changing his food more than once from iam to purina and back to iam again. i think it might be a shock for him because of the food changing.

we've been spraying a lot of air freshner on our room and also lysol on the carpet, do you rhink this can be the cause also?

and also 2 days ago, we went to the vet and got him vaccinated, and i read that that can cause the dog to vomit also

if someone know about the solution for this kinda problem, plese kindly tell me what to do, i am worried about him and i dont want to get him sick.

SnowDancer
October 17th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I would call and/or take him to the vet. I have over 20 years experience with Dachshunds - think worst case scenarios and down - and you don't ignore symptoms with these little darlings. You should also consider a possible blockage. Re the food, my guys had stomachs of iron and no food change affected their tummies, but from speaking with people today at the vet's or pet stores, they all mention that their Dachshunds have sensitive stomachs. I blame this on the genetic mucking about. You might also want to cool it with the air fresheners - actually I can't breathe myself when they are sprayed. My last little guy did have a reaction to his second to last set of vaccines - as did many small dogs. But he did not vomit, he became extremely hyper. So the next year he had to go in and have Benadryl administered first and then the shots - so stayed the day. Saw other small dogs following same procedure. The one thing though is that after shots in the tail end there can be some soreness which someone too familiar with disc disease would cause one to worry, but that does not appear to be your problem, however I think you should educate yourself on Stages I and II disc disease - neck and back, just in case. Please report back - but most definitely call your vet.

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Black vomit? No hesitation here, you absolutely need a vet. Seriously.