Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog was attcked at the dog park again and now he's unfriendly

Gripenfelter
October 17th, 2005, 09:52 AM
So I jinxed my dog with the last thread I made I guess.

I went to the dog park Saturday and an Akita attacked Zeus. Zeus *SEEMED* ok but then yesterday he attacked a golden retriever that nipped him in a playful manner. :eek: I was so shocked. I've never seen him do that. I immediately put him on a leash. The retriever was fine. No damage, no blood. Seemed like it was mostly noise but he did bite the retriever's cheek.

I walked him for an hour with a female German Shepherd and he was perfectly fine. Then we came across a male doberman and Zeus started growling at him. I immediately grabbed his snout and told him "NO" in a forceful way and he stopped but he still kept walking towards the dobie so I just took him home.

Is this what I have to look forward to from now on? Will neutering help? Muzzle? Or should I avoid dog parks all together? :(

P.S. I am currently showing Zeus at dog shows and he did very well last time and was on his best behaviour. He is also very gentle with everyone in my family and shows no signs of dominance or aggression *knock on wood*.

db7
October 17th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Keep giving him dog interaction, pick laid back, familiar dogs, give short positive exposure, watch carefully for stress signs and take the dog out of the situation if you sense any anxiety. Don't telegraph any anxiety yourself.

He should get over it with positive reinforcement.

Puppyluv
October 17th, 2005, 11:36 AM
I do think that neutering would help this, but since you're showing him, that isn't an option until he's done showing.
I agree that maintaining socialization would be best. You say there are dogs that he's fine with, so let them socialize a lot, and then add an unfamiliar dog into the mix every so often.
Out of curiosity, how is human-dog dominance? Is he alpha? If so, is he alpha only to other dogs, or to people as well?

yoda900_ca
October 17th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I 'm not suprised your's was the first mal i knew of that played well with other big dogs. In general neutering won't make a difference. It's a Mal nature to want to dominate esp. other dogs. He may realize people will always be ahead of him but that doesn't mean any other dogs have to be. He is also coming into adulthood when this drive may suddenly kick in. Having said that it doesn't mean he can't have good manners. Most show Mal's are great in the ring because they know thier pack leader is right there. The leader is dictating the proper behavior. My breeders male Mal's are great in the ring but she can't let them play w/ stranger dog outside the ring. You might try getting a long lead or retractable and keep him on it till you know how he will react to a peticular dog. If things appear ok will proabley get along. Mal's usually will play well with opposite sex as well. Tenderfoot may be able to give you some ideas on how to correct the behavior but in my opinion w/ Mal's this could be an uphill battle.

Gripenfelter
October 17th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Thanx for the advice guys.

What are your views on muzzles?

He's always been submissive to people; everyone, even children.

LL1
October 17th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Poor dog.I would keep him out of the dog park,it sounds like a dangerous one.

Lucky Rescue
October 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Yoda900 is right, and I"m sure you've been told this a number of times. Mals can be very dog aggressive to dogs of the same sex. As your dog continues to mature, the aggression may become worse, especially since he will remain intact, and also because you've allowed him to be attacked at the dog park by this Akita - and not for the first time either?

Avoid the dog park. There are many dogs who cannot go to them and if you continue you're risking a serious incident.

Gripenfelter
October 17th, 2005, 01:58 PM
I have been told many times that Mals can be aggressive but at the same time people have always been surprised with how well tempered ours was...before he was attacked.

Would a muzzle be detrimental to him? There are lots of nice dogs at the park I go to. I'd hate to leave because one dog ruined it for him. The amount of running he gets in 1 hr there easily equals 2-3 hrs of walking.

LL1
October 17th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Hes been attacked more than once,was it the same dog?Muzzling him is not going to protect him from being attacked,you would be asking for a seriously dog aggressive dog if you muzzle him and other dogs keep nailing him.

Lucky Rescue
October 17th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Again, your dog is very young and puppies are nearly always submissive to adult dogs. Sexually mature and intact Malamutes are not going to be submissive. Your dog is huge and could easily kill another dog.

Putting a muzzle on him, letting him run in the dog park and being attacked when he is helpless could escalate aggression in the extreme.

I have been told many times that Mals can be aggressive but at the same time people have always been surprised with how well tempered ours was
Yes, many people think "MY dog is different!" then are shocked when it turns out they aren't.

Gripenfelter
October 17th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Yes, many people think "MY dog is different!" then are shocked when it turns out they aren't.

No ours is different. :crazy: :D Just kidding.

Ok glad I asked you guys first before I bought the muzzle. I think I'll keep him on the leash more from now on and limit his exposure to males unless they are dogs he gets along with.

Its only 1 dog that has attacked him twice but I can see how it could make his aggression worse if he came across another dog that was aggressive as well.

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 02:14 PM
It will also cause a LOT of friction at the park because your dog is younger than the rest. Older, dominant dogs definitely don't like being dominated by a younger dog. That is what sparks a lot of the fights I have seen. On top of that, your dog will be starting to smell testosteroney too, which will be a threat to the adult castrated ones.

Will neutering help? Well, not with this. Once your dog has figured out that he can challenge and be vicious and get his point heard easily, that will be a hard habit to break. It works for him, right? A lot of the time, neutering a dominant dog BEFORE that point will help because he isn't as threatening, so the encounters with other dogs are less charged.

I think if your dog is not social, you should stay out of the park. Puppies are usually more social than adults, and you can only control how social your dog is to a point. At that point, you have to accept who he is, and don't force him to "play" with other dogs when it just doesn't work for him.

The truth is, I had a lab before these two, who would try to kill every dog she ever met. We kept her out of contact with dogs for 14 years (other than our dobie at home that she tolerated). It wasn't a problem, because we got this doggy and that's just who she was. I see people in the park sometimes with the same type of doggy, and they keep coming. You just want to grab them by the neck and say, "Look, if your dog fights EVERY time you come to the park, you shouldn't come. It's dangerous and it isn't fun for anybody."

Sorry for the rant. Maybe your dog will get along with one female at a time. But I think the best way to have that is outside a dog park. Like meet up with one person in a different park at a time when there are no people around. You know?

Gripenfelter
October 17th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Good informative post Prin.

He actually normally plays with 6 female dogs owned by 2 women with no issues.

Looking forward to snow now so I can use the kick sled.

If he improves I'll make a post about it.

yoda900_ca
October 17th, 2005, 04:37 PM
He should do ok with the females,but make sure they are all fixed. If one of them isn't he should avoid playing with her. Things can happen fast if you know what i mean. Male dogs tend to know when a bitch is going into heat usually before the owner. My previous Mal could tell when a friends shepard was in heat 3 blocks away and would howl like no tomarrow. We also came home one day to find he had uprooted a 1 1/2ft in diameter tree that a portion of his run was bolted to, dug under the 6ft fence and was howling outside my friends house. She said her dog wasn't in heat but 1 days later guess what. Men when those hormones kick in they are all the same :D

Puppyluv
October 17th, 2005, 04:42 PM
He should do ok with the females,but make sure they are all fixed. If one of them isn't he should avoid playing with her.
I agree, but if someone is going to not spay their female ( :mad: ) then they better be smart enough not to bring their girl to the dog park around heat time.

yoda900_ca
October 17th, 2005, 04:48 PM
LOL- i agree puppy luv but but you would be suprised what i've seen people do. :crazy:

Gripenfelter
October 17th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Oh yeah...lots of un-spayed females at this park. So far he has only mounted males for dominance purposes. :D

I was thinking about getting a female for him to play with. Spayed of course.

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 06:53 PM
MOST, and I mean MOST, of the people who bring an unspayed female to the dog park ONLY realize their dog is in heat by the other dogs' reaction to her. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

K9Friend
October 17th, 2005, 08:35 PM
You mentioned in an earlier post - that you usually go to the dog park for 1-2 hours. That's too long IMO. Keep your visits short for now and positive. I've always found my dog to get a tad cranky after being at the park too long. Dogs get tired and cranky like we do - when we can't keep up with the pack.

KarenM
April 26th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I personally believe that certain breads get the reputation they do because people give up on them. They stop taking them around other dogs when they are aggressive, which I believe makes them worse off in the end (the lack of socialization).

Prin
April 26th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Umm... This thread is pretty old.. Why revive it? Gripenfelter is not the type of dog owner to "give up on" his dog.