Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sounds like coughing up a hairball?

gomez
October 17th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Gomez has always had this "feature" about him - sometimes he starts making this noise that sounds exactly like a cat coughing up a hairball... or an old man trying to hack something up...! It goes anywhere from 2 - 30 seconds, and of course nothing comes up... we rub his throat when it happens, not sure if it helps or not, but maybe it calms him a bit...

The vet suggested it might be the soft palate which is still forming that sometimes gets in the way, and he was not worried about it, he says it sometimes happens in smaller breeds and there is surgery for it if he does not grow out of it...

Sometimes it happens in the park or on the street and sometimes at home when he is just sleeping or resting...

Has anyone else seen their puppy or dog do this kind of thing?

Speedy's Mom
October 17th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Speedy does the exact same thing. It varies and he may do it several times in one day on none at all. He does not appear sick at all and has no other problems. He was also fine on his exam with the vet. Please post any information you may have and I will do the same.

Speedy is approximately three to three and one half years old according to the vet and the rescue shelter from which we adopted him.

Mrs Bungle
October 17th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Hey guys

My dog scruffy (shetland sheep dog) also does somethign similar.. He is 10 mind you and seems to have been doing it for his whole life.... We have taken him to the vet and they dont know what the problem is... The more i read about this and the more people seem to have this problem, I think that this is just some sort of trait in some smaller dogs ..

melz
October 17th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Mozart did the same thing.. I brought him into the vet to get it checked out.. it turned out to be Kennel cough.

10 days of antibiotics later he's feeling great!

gomez
October 18th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Well, in Gomez's case it is not kennel cough, he is 9 months old and he has been doing this since the day we brought him home at 8 weeks - in his short life, he has been on 3 courses of antibiotics for tummy/bowel problems, so any one of those could have taken care of kennel cough -

Besides, his vet has ruled that out...

Anyways... if I ever find out more about this, I will post for Speedy and Mozart!

Speedy's Mom
October 18th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Melz,

Did Mozart have a persistent cough that was every day or was it more sporadic? The reason I am asking is because Speedy may go days without any coughing. I am very concerned about kennel cough as we adopted him from a rescue center. He has had his first checkup with the vet though and he passed with flying colors except for a minor ear infection. He had his antibiotic cream for 7 days and his ears look great now.

Thanks,

papillonmama
November 9th, 2005, 03:12 PM
My papillon sometimes does that snort and wheeze. Does your little dog chew things?

gomez
November 10th, 2005, 06:01 AM
oh yes, he chews, he likes paper, sticks, mud, etc...sometime we think that it may be something caught in his throat - it really odes sound like he's trying to cough up something - there is no snorting, nothing comes from his nose and it doesn't sound like inhaling noises at all...

now he hasn't done it in a few weeks - it's so odd!

puppy4ever
November 10th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I just came on here to ask the same question. My puppy is about 4 1/2 months now and does the exact same thing...he will be medium size. It's like a hacking or coughing up a furball. He also mades the same sound when he pulls too hard on the leash and chokes himself! He sometimes kind of snorts too.

He is vacinated against kennel cough so I'm pretty sure it isn't that. I've heard dogs with kennel cough before and my puppy doesn't continuously cough like they do.

I hope it isn't serious.

jawert1
November 10th, 2005, 01:23 PM
My vet has seen my dogs do this and has deemed it reverse sneezing (fairly harmless). Simon does it on occasion when he gets really excited (generally over food or treats) and Peach if she gets really ramped about something (someone at the door).

papillonmama
November 10th, 2005, 03:30 PM
My furry little one chewed on her harness and she had to use her collar for a day, she pulls and she made the same sound when she was pulling, but I got her a new harness next day and she was fine. She hasn't been making the coughing noises too much lately, but I was finding little things chewed up before, so I started keeping her close all the time again, just like a puppy. Checking on her when she's quiet, etc, and making sure the human kids weren't leaving any little toys around, and when she was chewing anything I just made sure to watch her closely, and the coughing was much less. :fingerscr

gomez
November 11th, 2005, 08:21 AM
My vet has seen my dogs do this and has deemed it reverse sneezing (fairly harmless). Simon does it on occasion when he gets really excited (generally over food or treats) and Peach if she gets really ramped about something (someone at the door).

I had read about reverse sneezing, but there is nothing "reverse" about Gomez's noise - if you think about it a sneeze goes out, a reverse sneeze would have to be inhaled, no? He is not making inhaling noises at all, it's all exhaling...

And like others said, he also does it sometimes when he really strains against his harness...

It's so weird, I wish they came with instructions and "what to do in case of"...!!

jawert1
November 11th, 2005, 08:45 AM
a puppy manual would be so helpful :) good luck :) :)