Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

All tests came back fine, so what's wrong?

cchani
October 16th, 2005, 09:49 PM
:confused:
I have a 4 year old Shih Tzu named Teek. He's normally a very active dog. I noticed yesterday (Saturday) that he was a little slower than usual. Also, I can usually tell when he is not feeling well because he stares at me a lot and when I sit next to him he tries to get as close to me as possible. That night he slept by himself on the floor. He would groan and only stop when I petted him. This would happen once every hour, hour and a half. So we were up most of the night.

I made a vet appt. first thing this morning. We went in and they ran all sorts of text including blood work (heart worms, lyme disease and a few other I've never heard of) and every thing came back normal. He did have a small fever and white blood cell count was just a tiny bit high, which she said might indicate an infection. The vet gave us some antibiotics for two weeks, and afew pain killers because I was under the impression that he was in pain or uncomfortable (but she really wasn't). The pain killers were to be used sparingly of course. There hasn't been dyherrea or vomiting, in fact no poo at all today.

He didn't really eat a whole lot today or yesterday except a few small pieces of boiled chicken that I hand fed him this evening and he wouldn't drink from his bowl, but would drink from an Ozarka bottle that I held.

I'm a nervous wreck, he's my first dog and he never gets sick. He's had the occasional tummy ache but it's been a year or so since any of that and they usually go away after a day. Has anyone else had this same experience? Any words of wisdom, I'm sick with worry.

yoda900_ca
October 16th, 2005, 09:58 PM
I would call the vet first thing in the morning. Not pooping is not good. If she isn't eating much either it sounds like she might have an obstruction. Watch her carefully and make sure her tummy doesn't get hard. If that happens CALL THE VET STAT. Also if she starts to vomit i would call the vet right away as well. Hope she's ok

cchani
October 17th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Earlier we were sitting on the couch and he was sleeping beside me. He awoke with a scream and began shaking. I decided to take him to the emergency hospital. She began feeling around on his back and sensed some tenderness in his neck area. We did Xrays just for my piece of mind and they came back fine, nothing broken or out of whack. So we're thinking it's a neck muscle tenderness problem. I further believe this now because when I fed him by holding his chicken at face level or above his head and ate it ravenously, if it fell on the floor he would start to go for it and stop mid way and just look at it. furthr more he would drink from the water bottle. The vet instructed me to elevate his food, give him his pain killers.

Thanks for you reply. I'll keep posted if anything changes.

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Poor doggy. I hope he gets better soon. :grouphug:

cchani
October 17th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Thank you.

We went back to the regular vet today (3 vet visits in 2 days!) and showed her the xrays. She agreed they looked fine, but said disc disease won't always show up in these kinds of xRays. So Teek is on steriods (anti-inflamatory) and pretty much confined to the crate for 2 weeks.

Wish us luck, it's my first time ever dealing with a pet illness and I'm a wreck.
Stephanie