Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Smelly Coonhound

Kim2005
October 16th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Hey Everyone!

My 3 yr old Redbone Coonhound, Redley, smells!! Even after bathing he has an odor. He has dry skin so Im not certain of all the shampoos out there. Is there any home remedies, or anything that I can give him in his food (I have seen other websites suggest garlic, chlorphyll, adding greens of some kind to the dogs food) to cut down his nasty skin odor?

Help!

And thanks
Kim
:ca:

BMDLuver
October 16th, 2005, 11:50 AM
What type of dog food are you feeding? This may be why he has an odor about him.

Prin
October 16th, 2005, 01:30 PM
How are his teeth? Bad teeth = bad breath = stinky body after licking himself clean...

jawert1
October 16th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Oatmeal shampoos are good for a pup's skin, especially if there's an existing condition. Also, yeast issues can result in nasty smelling skin/coats so you may want to have your vet do skin scrapes and tests to make sure mites, yeast or other issues aren't present. And definitely check what you're feeding, a good dog food should have an ingredient list you don't need a dictionary to decipher

"Some good high-end dog foods are Wellness, Solid Gold, Eaglepack, Merrick, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul" - per Puppyluv on another post :)