Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fix the SPCA (Montreal)

poodletalk
October 16th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Fix the SPCA (Montreal)

Montreal SPCA executive director Pierre Barnoti claims the cat population on the streets of Montreal is soaring, and he's right. Like he said recently on the CTV news, the problem hasn't been addressed in the past 10 years. That is exactly the number of years Barnoti has been in charge of the SPCA. For the past 20 years, the humane society has done nothing in terms of education regarding the well-being of pets in Montreal.

Pound contractors and SPCAs in Canada want us to think that it is less expensive to kill the alleged abandoned pets and homeless cats than low-cost sterilization. High-scale killing will only create empty niches to be filled immediately by more puppies and kittens. And money is the big factor here. On one end, cities pay pound contractors to kill what heartless producers are paid to manufacture at the other end. The vicious cycle must be stopped.

The economy of scale will be when the reproduction diminishes. We don't believe that licences for cats, which Mr. Barnoti seems to want established, will be the solution. Quebecers are fed up with taxation, and licences for dogs and cats are just that: more taxes. No services are given for such taxes; the system doesn't even assure the lost pet a return home because nobody cares to search for the owner. It is easier to put the responsibility on the owner to look for the lost pet and, after three days, kill the animal or sell it. Money is also a big factor here.

Those who have a little bit more money have homeless cats spayed and neutered at their own expense while Berger Blanc and SPCA gets the money and donations. We can thank Réseau secours animal and caring people like Johanne Husereau of Sphinx for the problem not being worse than it already is - all those girls roaming alleys feeding hungry cats and paying huge vet bills while the SPCA gets the donations and does nothing, even with a permanent vet on the premises. With a budget of $3.5-million, they surely can support all those humane groups mushrooming in Montreal, caring for the voiceless.

It had been known that the reason why shelters like the SPCA do not make public the fact that they kill practically all the animals brought to them is: donations would stop if donators knew. To our knowledge, only SPCA Montérégie is a no-kill shelter; their policy should be encouraged and commended.

The problem of "alleged abandoned" pets and homeless cats will be solved (a) when the lost pet gets better chances to return home; (b) when low-cost spay and neuter clinics open in this town; (c) when organizations like the SPCA put their donation money into mass education instead of their pockets and (d) when people turn to adoption of adult pets instead of specially manufactured puppies and kittens.

K9Friend
October 16th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I know I'll get bashed for this but no cat should be left to roam free in any big city. Period. It's a cruel world out there - for your cat's safety - keep it inside.

Prin
October 16th, 2005, 02:43 PM
No bashing from me. I've seen cats with broken hips from being kicked by the neighbor, cats with their skulls as soft as a stress ball from who knows what, not to mention all the cat fights I heard behind my building... Keep your kitties indoors if you want them to survive.

BMDLuver
October 16th, 2005, 02:48 PM
I think the problem is that with spay and release programs the only option is back out to fend for themselves... as the alternative is Euthanasia... I'm not really sure which is the right way to go but I would hope that if eventually enough programs got started then there would be less to turn back out on the street? Of course, would I see that in my lifetime? Don't know. :(

poodletalk
October 16th, 2005, 05:11 PM
I agree cats shouldn't go roaming along outside at all. Rules that apply to dogs, should apply to cats.

As for the catch and release program, I think it's a very positive program, Dorothy Bond has stats about the catch and release program that was done in Ville. St.Laurent last year and it was very impressive.

The bad thing about the catch and release program is our climate. Yes, the cats can no longer multiple, but they still can get frost bite, die because of the cold. Plus the every day problems, getting hit by a car, get poisioned by neighbors etc.

Last year, I wrote an article for a French Weekly newspaper about stray cats in the area and what people can do to protect them from the cold. Build cat insulated shelters in their backyards. It's not expensive or difficult to do, and it a fun family project to do on a cold Sunday afternoon.

We need to educate people about the stray cat problem and stress to them the importance of spaying and neutering.

I don't know if anyone did it, but if one person out of 100 readers did, it would make a big difference to the stray cats in the area.

Lucky Rescue
October 18th, 2005, 10:19 AM
I'd just like to credit the author of the above article. It was written by:

Catherine Bégin, Researcher,
Lost and Found Pet Network