Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog loves everyone except for one dog

Gripenfelter
October 16th, 2005, 11:20 AM
First some background info:

I take my Alaskan Malamute, Zeus, to the dog park every single day for 1-2 hrs so he can socialize with other dogs. He's known in the park as the "gentle giant". He tolerates little dogs that snap at him or bite him, he goes submissive if a female snaps at him, and he pushes away unfriendly large males that attack him.

So far, in the park, I've only been worried about 1 dog. A neutered Akita that has bloodied 2 other dogs in the park and attacked my Zeus as well. When the Akita attacked him, Zeus made some growly noises, bared his teeth and basically pushed the dog away with his front paws. Didn't bite the other dog at all.

Zeus loves little jack russells or other small dogs that can be chased. Or he likes to be chased himself by them. He plays submissive when approaching a new dog for the first time.

Here's my problem:

There is a Miniature Pinscher that lives on our street that Zeus absolutely wants to kill. Both dogs are un-neutered but Zeus has no problem with any other un-neutered dogs, even ones that attack him. Last night the owner on the Min Pin came to our gate to chit chat and brought his dog, Snoop, with him. As soon as Zeus saw the dog through the fence he started growling, snarling, barking, and actually pushed one of the fence boards out with his head trying to get at the dog. Zeus absolutely hates him and for no reason at all. This dog has never done anything to Zeus.

In the past, I've had Zeus tied up with me outside on the front driveway while I worked on my car so he could keep me company. As soon as Snoop walks by he goes nuts and actually broke a steel cable that I had tied him up with.

This all started on a day that a black lab bloodied Zeus at the park. And again, Zeus has no problem with the black lab and is still friendly towards him.

To date, Zeus has interacted with over 200 dogs and been friendly with all of them. He steers clear of the Akita that attacked him and two friendly Rottweilers who he used to play with but all of a sudden stopped after the lab bloodied him. He also doesn't like a Norweigan Elkhound that once attacked me but nothing serious. He only has a serious problem with the min pin.

My question is this: Why does he hate this min pin living on our street and what can I do to remedy this?

Prin
October 16th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Don't you hate some people and you just don't know why? They rub you the wrong way? You know? That happens with dogs too. I don't think there is anything you can do without jeopardizing the little guy. Any encounter puts him at risk. JMO

K9Friend
October 16th, 2005, 02:54 PM
You have no problem with Zeus at the dog park cuz it's neutral territory. Zeus is acting up on your property - yes, he's protecting it! Sorta normal to react that way if another pooch comes around.

Be careful. You may know how to handle Zeus at the dog park but unfortunately there are some dog owners out there who have no control of their animal in an unfriendly situation. Always be on alert, pro-active, and you'll get a good judge of the dog by the sounds & actions of its owner! :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
October 16th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Don't you hate some people and you just don't know why? They rub you the wrong way? You know? That happens with dogs too

Exactly. My last dog was okay with every dog he met, except for one Doberman who he hated seemingly for no reason at all.

Zeus is still a puppy, right? Are you planning to leave him intact?

Prin
October 16th, 2005, 09:04 PM
You're planning to show him right?

mona_b
October 16th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I went through that with Yukon.For some reason he just didn't like Pongo the Dalmation across the street.He would start barking.But I worked with him on the barking part.Eventually he just gave up on Pongo..LOL

Poor Zeus seems to get picked on.

I do recall you wanting to show him.How is that going?Are you still planning on it?

Gripenfelter
October 17th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Zeus had his first show last weekend and got one point. :)

His brother was neutered last month...so far the owners haven't noticed any difference.

I might neuter Zeus in spring after a couple more dog shows. He's 10 months right now.

K9friend: Funny you should mention being careful at the park. He was attacked by an Akita again today. My breeder says I shouldn't take him there anymore because Malamutes can turn vicious towards dogs if they get attacked by another dog.

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Changes are more long term, but you won't notice because you won't know what your dog would have been like with all that testosterone and nowhere to put it. :D