Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

when does a puppy's growth slow

jackieb
October 16th, 2005, 10:17 AM
simba is now 18 weeks when will his growth slow down?
He is a dogue de bordeaux cross german shepherd!

BMDLuver
October 16th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Hi Jackie,
Usually at 6 months the major growth spurts slow down but he will continue to grow with a much slower rate until 2 years of age. How big is Zeus now?

yoda900_ca
October 16th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Usually it slows down around 6months-8months or so,but it can depend on the breed. I have an alaskan malamute and they generally don't reach thier full size till between 11/2 -2yrs of age. The pup i have now currently gains any where between-3-5lbs a week. He'll be 4months on the 18th and weighs in at 44lbs but should just over 100 when he's done growing. Being that your's a cross breed and a large dog he probally won't finish filling out till at least till 1yr. maybe some breeders of shepard and dougue can give u an idea for sure.

Prin
October 16th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Large breed... I'd say at about 9-10 months. But then he'll start to fill out forever.

jackieb
October 17th, 2005, 10:06 AM
i knew he would fill out and such later on we had a english mastiff in england which wasnt fully grown till 2. I just didnt know how long the 3-4lb aweek weight gain would continue for. Simba is now 65lbs at 18 weeks we took him to training and socilising the lady said he was the perfect weight as hes not fat you can see one rib and not skinny either.